Start by marking “Under Threat” as Want to Read:
Under Threat

Under Threat

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Franny is close to her parents, adores her horse and is head over heels in love with her girlfriend, Leah. But Franny's parents are abortion providers at the local hospital, and an anonymous stranger is prepared to do whatever it takes to stop them. A stranger who phones at all hours. Who knows where they live. Who knows Franny's name.

When Leah's older brother, Jake, refer
Published March 1st 2016 by Orca Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Under Threat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Threat

Dahlia
I really would've liked this to be a full-length novel (it's more like a novella), but I absolutely liked what it was. There are very few YAs where a couple is together from before the book to the end (honestly, Bleeding Earth was the only other one I could recall), and a lesbian couple? In which both halves are already out? Basically a YA unicorn. (Although don't be fooled by the cover; I wouldn't call this a capital-R Romance; it's really more of a contemporary where the romance has effects on ...more
Danika at The Lesbrary
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was immediately intrigued by the premise of this one: a teenage girl's parents are threatened because they are abortion providers. She reaches out to her girlfriend, but her girlfriend doesn't necessarily see eye to eye her with her on a woman's right to choose.

I really appreciated reading a lesbian YA that begins after the main character has come out. That is incidental to the plot. This is part of the Orca Soundings series, which are hi-lo (high interest, low reading level) books, so it's v
Emily May
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a super short argument for reproductive rights, framed in an effective LGBT novella (short story?). This tiny little book packed a punch and I would have loved to see it as a full-length novel and spent more time with the characters.

I literally read this whole thing in about an hour. It's about a girl called Franny who loves horses, her parents, and her girlfriend - Leah. But her parents are abortion providers and she's also used to receiving threatening phone calls and mysterious packag
Adele
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
It’s been a few days since I actually read this book, but I’m still having trouble pinpointing what this book is actually about. There are a few spoilers, so beware! (view spoiler) ...more
Tara
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Loved the conflicts and the characters, but it felt underdeveloped to me. This is probably due to the fact that it is designed to be a short read for kids who are below grade level in reading.

I will say that this is a very strong title from the Orca Soundings series. I was riveted, but I also read the whole thing in roughly 30 minutes.
Andrea
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
I read this book for my Young Adult Materials class.

Until my MLIS program I had never even heard of HiLo books (and the controversy surrounding their naming) but it is amazing the audience that can be reached by books like these. As a fast reader I was able to read this book in a very short amount of time due the simplicity of the language and the shortness of the book. Despite the fact that it was written decently simply the story was very interesting and I was hooked all the way through.

I rea
Angie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ignore the book cover because it's misleading and really not a reflection of the book at all. I mean, there is a queer relationship, and the girls are a couple from the start of the novel (novella? This is really short), but this isn't exactly a queer book as much as it is a book about abortion rights, which is pretty incredible. I've not read a book that's willing to tackle the anti-choice movement, especially one aimed at younger audiences. The fact that there is a queer storyline is a bonus.

I
Jennifer Daniel
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read with a clear pro-choice agenda. I did like the characters quite a bit though. I found it a bit ironic that Fanny's parent's were abortion providers and she was a lesbian, the group least in need of their services. I am sure this is on banned lists all over the country. Thankfully I have a progressive, liberal library.
Shyla Colt
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book fell flat for me. I was expecting a thriller, and this read more like an angsty contemporary with one twist.
Christie
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very intriguing story line! It was basically a novella, but I felt like it was the perfect length as nothing was missing from the story. The story is about a small family and how the parents jobs as being abortion doctors affects not only their lives, but their daughters life too. A very eye-opening story.
Rebecca Green
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Love the content. Would like a more satisfying conclusion.
Kyla Belvedere
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I read these Orca Soundings books so that I can recommend them to my students who need high interest, low level books (this one is a grade 4.2 level). I didn't mind the story. To appeal to a wide range of ages, it leads up to all the exciting parts, but never gets in to any details (they start to kiss, then next scene, etc), but this is true for all Orca Soundings, although I have heard displeasure at this tactic from older students.

My issue with this was the privileged life of the characters. O
Fiona
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads-win
This book would be a wonderful vehicle to start discussion with teenagers about religious extremism and domestic (i.e. christian) terrorism but as a novel unto itself, seems rather heavy-handed.

Our narrator, Franny, is traumatized by repeated threats to her doctor parents (both abortion providrs) and (view spoiler) I think this book co
Rachel Foley
So, a few weeks ago, i was going through the giveaways on here and I saw Under Threat. I read the description and thought it sounded prettying neat. So I entered and ended up winning
Let me just day, this book far exceeded my expectations. I thought it was going to be good, but this book was absolutely amazing. It was such a quick read. I finished in about an hour. The relationship between Franny and Leah was very realistic. Even though the book was only just over 100 pages, I was completely abso
Elizabeth
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
More of a novella than a novel, and definitely written for a younger age group. I guess if I was 12 or so this wouldn't have been an awful read, but at 28 years old this did absolutely nothing for me. Simple story, flat characters, rushed resolution, etc.
Lisa McManus
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is SUCH an important read - so well written, it was a pleasure to follow the character through her continuous journey through self-discovery of herself and the world around her. LOVE THIS. This seasoned writer continues to produce fabulous work :)
Kathleen
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Wrapped up way too neatly
Sumaia Akhand
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a book that tackles the issue of abortion rights head on, that is it. This is a very well-written and unparalleled look at a highly charged topic.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lean, fast-paced, plot driven, and full of conflict. Ideal for reluctant readers.
Kayla Simpson
Jun 03, 2017
A
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: l-b-ya
Really quick, easy YA; relationship is complicated by fact that parents are abortion providers
Kenzie
Jun 24, 2016
Chelsea
rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2016
Maggie
Apr 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • My Year Zero
  • Take Them by Storm (Angel Island, #3)
  • Everything Changes
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Summer Confessions
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • Fjord Blue
  • About a Girl (Metamorphoses, #3)
  • Out on Good Behavior (Radleigh University, #3)
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • A Darkly Beating Heart
  • Taking Flight
  • Dirty London
  • Out of Order (The Survivor's Club, #1)
  • Spy Stuff
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • Spirit Level
  • Beauty of the Broken
Robin Stevenson is an award winning Canadian author of 20 books for teens and children. Her newest book is her first work of non-fiction-- PRIDE: CELEBRATING DIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY ( 2016). Robin lives on the west coast of Canada, with her partner and son. When she isn't writing, she edits books and teaches creative writing classes and workshops.
More about Robin Stevenson

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)