Start by marking “Life and Other Near-Death Experiences” as Want to Read:
Life and Other Near-Death Experiences

Life and Other Near-Death Experiences

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  25,895 ratings  ·  2,025 reviews
Libby Miller has always been an unwavering optimist—but when her husband drops a bomb on their marriage the same day a doctor delivers devastating news, she realizes her rose-colored glasses have actually been blinding her.

With nothing left to lose, she abandons her life in Chicago for the clear waters and bright beaches of the Caribbean for what might be her last hurrah.
Published November 1st 2015 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Life and Other Near-Death Experiences, please sign up.
Corrina No. This book is hollow and trite and ridiculous. Unless you want to discuss how trite and ridiculous and hollow it was, I'd pick something else.

·  25,895 ratings  ·  2,025 reviews

Elyse Walters
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
WARNING.....SPOILERS!!!!!

Kindle unlimited - Audiobook-ebook-sync-combination.
Audiobook was read by Amy McFadden ....she was perfect for the job!!!! I enjoyed starting with the Audiobook- but reading the ebook was faster. Honestly- With this book - I didn’t have a strong preference. Either one was fine with me: reading - or listening.

The real issue is HOW TO RATE IT.....WHAT TO SAY ABOUT IT.....
I could understand a 5 star review. There is ‘something’ about the way Camille Pagan writes that HOLD
Esil
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm not sure how you can write a "light" novel about cancer and a failing marriage, but somehow that's what the author pulls off in Life and Other Near Death Experiences. It's all a bit predictable. Once Libby finds out she has cancer and that her husband is not who she thinks he is all in the same day, she pulls a disappearing act and runs off to an island to hide. There's a dark sexy man, there's a kind older woman, there's a sensitive twin brother, there's lots of denial, etc... It's a tad di ...more
Liz
Jul 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fbc-16
I disliked this book with a passion at odds with its fundamental silliness. The plot seems weighty: young woman diagnosed with rare, almost certainly fatal cancer on the same day her beloved husband tells her he's gay. Cue extreme crisis and self-examination. Instead, it's a flippant, frothy book filled with fake curse words-- e.g. "motherfudger"-- and childish repetition, in which virtually every character's voice/diction are the same underneath superficial, ludicrous differences. Though I woul ...more
Sharon
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this for the October Amazon Prime selection. It isn't often that I'll read a book in one night. The story line was grim on the surface but the book turned out to have quite a bit of humor and romance.
Caitlin Gutilla
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If anyone on here pays attention to what I read, you know I don't really do contemporary that often. But wow, this book was a gem.

The main character, Libby, is wonderful, and the author did a really great job of illustrating how a real person would react to the stream of curve balls being thrown. I loved the transformation Libby went through and the adventure we got to watch her experience. The other characters were great, too - they were diverse, unique, and lovely additions to the story.

The
Teddie
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
If you like a mildly humorous, light read....

This book is about a woman who learns she has cancer (chapter 1) on the same day her husband tells her he's gay (chapter 2). Told in first person narrative, the next 33 chapters are a somewhat humorous telling of how she handles the news.

I know the book was meant to be lighthearted, but frankly I thought her behaviour was rather childish. Admittedly, I've never been faced with such a diagnosis and such a bombshell confession. But I don't believe I wo
Jodi
Oct 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book.

I tried to like it but the author tried way to hard to inject her brand of "humor" into every sentence. It got very annoying to say the least and I didn't find the character of Libby appealing in any way. When she bit an old friend on the shoulder that about clinched it, once again trying way too hard. I struggled along for a few more painful chapters and then laid this freebie to rest.
Deborah Blanchard
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! This is a page turner from beginning to end. I cried and I laughed, a lot. It deals with Libby, whom I adored, and taking life by storm. She is dealing with a lot of changes in her life and sometimes doesn't know what to do, or when to do things. It is a story about the curve balls that life can throw at us and how we choose to deal with them. It is exquisitely written and I loved the characters in this book. They are well developed and true to life, which seems to ...more
✨Susan✨
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, audible, comedy
This book reminded me a lot of the movie "6 Days, 7 Nights" with Harrison Ford. Interesting characters in cute dramady with an interesting twist.
Justin
Jul 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Garbage! Pure fucking shit! It was an audible daily deal, and it started out good. Cancer, broken marriage, very emotional stuff. She is told her type of cancer is very bad and far enough along that there is pretty much no chance but of course they want her to do chemo and radiation and all that anyway. She watched her own mother go through that and decides to opt out. Then she goes on a short vacation before heading back home to be with her family. From the description of the book, this is wher ...more
Catherine McKenzie
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced read. Pick this one up.
Patty
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I hesitate to categorize a book as chick lit but I am not so sure why, I like an occasional chic lit book. So often a book is chic lit but then it is so much more also. This book is about a woman that finds out she has cancer and not much chance of surviving it and comes home to tell her husband, but he inadvertently thinks she is talking about what she now knows about him, and so he confesses that yes he is gay. Uh oh.

The beginning of this book was really annoying because the author kept inject
Ian
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ian by: Diandra
As a child Libby watched cancer eat up her mother, so when she learns that she has terminal cancer she decides she'd rather have a few good months than go through chemo. With her mind set she goes home to tell her husband. But before she can tell him he confesses that he is gay. Devastated she kicks him out, sells all their furniture and quits her job. Then her father tells her about a magical bay in Puerto Rico where he and her mother spent their honeymoon. On a whim she books a flight in the h ...more
Kat W
This book was painful for me to read because it is so completely opposite of how I would react to a serious bad news diagnosis. In fact, I'm probably not a good reader for this book because I've had bad news diagnoses(plural) and had "the talks" with doctors and nurses. So I warn away anyone who deals with chronic illness and/or life-threatening conditions. This book is NOT for you.

But on top of all that, the writing is simple, the brand of humor is of the mean-spirited ridiculous type, there's
Kathleen Crowell
I absolutely loved this book. A pleasure to read and so thankful it was a free, high caliber Kindle First!
Aneesa
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this book in an exchange for an honest review

Feels like forever since I wrote the review :O, the review right...

Whoah! This book was unbelievable, I feel like I came off the rollercoaster!
SPOILER ALERT!!!! If your planning on reading this book make sure you carry a pack of tissues with you, your deffo going to need them!

description

description

Libby is a very vivacious character, I loved reading her from her perspective, she is a very ideal and strong character. The way the Author has shown her courage, bravery i
Susan Swiderski
Talk about piling on. No wonder she had a bit of a melt-down. People get cancer diagnoses every day, but after poor Libby got HER six-months-left message of gloom and doom, she went home to find solace in the arms of her beloved husband, only to have HIM deliver another bombshell before she could say a word about her doctor's visit. After seventeen years of what she thought was a blissful marriage to the man of her dreams, Tom chose THAT day to tell her he... preferred men. He's lucky she only s ...more
Ken Bour
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-free
WOW! This was one of the most thoroughly entertaining and engaging books I have read in some time and, quite literally, I devoured its contents in three days! My standard fare is crime/legal mysteries which I thoroughly enjoy; but, I decided to take a respite and try something different. This book came to my attention through Amazon's Kindle First program and I am so glad I chose it. From the story's outset, I became completely engrossed in Libby's life which, on the surface, was nothing short o ...more
Renée Roehl
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a "cancer-lite/long time relationship breakup-lite" book. Both issues usually cause profound change in the beings they happen to. Not so in this book. The topics had so little depth I felt they were treated as one would a facial breakout or a bad haircut. What the narrator learned about herself from these intense experiences was...nothing. And so do we as the readers.

I found these flat characters only existed only in relation to the facile narcissistic narrator who talks like she lives
Nivedita (thebooklovingnerd)
Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Before anything else, the one thing I want to really, really talk about it is the title. The author couldn't have chosen a better name for the book. The biggest reason I might have requested this book was because of the title.

Now, the actual review part. Life and Other Near Death Experiences is a ve
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Life is devastating, if only in its limited run; but it’s incredibly good, too. And in spite of my circumstances, I could not deny that I was ready for more.”

Life and Other Near-Death Experiences is a book about actually living and what happens when your view on life and what you thought you had is stripped away from you immediately. From the very beginning, we find out that Libby has cancer and her husband drops a bomb on her at the same day, she quits her job and knows that with the short
Christine Zibas
Is it possible for a book to be funny when its themes focus on a woman who learns her husband isn't who she thought he was and that she has cancer all on the same day? Surprisingly, yes, if "Life and Other Near-Death Experiences" is anything to judge by.

Author Camille Pagan has chosen a glass-half-full lead character (Libby Miller) to face down these traumas, and it's not surprising, that she comes as close as possible to a full-blown meltdown. She quits her job, sells her condo, and leaves for
Caroline Bertaud
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore it when a book can make you laugh out loud on such serious topics—cancer and a falling-apart marriage. Libby’s character is brilliant luminous, so full of life! Highly recommended!
PS/ Thanks for reminding me why I moved to the Caribbean :)
L.A.
Posted first to Blog Critics as Book Review: 'Life and Other Near-Death Experiences' by Camille Pagan.

In Life and Other Near-Death Experiences by Camille Pagan, we are introduced to Libby Miller, an optimist at heart, but now a woman ravaged by devastation. Her husband drops her on the same day she finds out she has cancer, and suddenly life is no longer so rosy. In her indomitable way she chooses her own destiny and elects to deny treatment and begin a life of living in the Caribbean, a dream o
Diane Yannick
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Go ahead and read the synopsis and turn up your nose. I know, overkill. Two chapters in you have a husband who's gay and a cancer diagnosis. I read it because it was free and I never read the Amazon Prime free choices and I spend way too much on e-books. Plus I really liked the title. Not my usual carefully researched reasons for reading a book. That's for sure.

Truth is, I really enjoyed it. This unknown-to-me author was funny (really!) and fresh and knew how to tell a story. The characters wer
Siv30
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
ספר מקסים ומשעשע.

ביום שליבי מגלה שהגידול השומני שהסירו מבטנה, סרטני, היא גם מגלה שבעלה ואהוב ליבה, טום, נמשך לגברים.

טום מנסה לישר את ההדורים עם ליבי, ואפילו מציע שישארו נישואים, אבל ליבי הפגועה והזועמת אינה סולחת ואינה מגלה לו את דבר מחלתה ומחליטה לעזוב את העבודה שמעולם לא אהבה, למכור את דירתם ולנסוע לפורטו ריקו. בכל זאת הרופא נתן לה רק חצי שנה אז כדאי שהיא תנצל את הזמן היטב.

ליבי נוסעת לפורטו ריקו ושם היא מגלה ששווה להילחם עבור החיים.

סיפור שבחלקיו נוגע ללב, במיוחד הסיפור על האם ובמיוחד מערכת היח
Roopal Badheka
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
An enjoyable and sweet beach read with some poignant moments and an appreciation for life and the complexities it sometimes offers. Loved this conversation from the book: .

“It is, kind of. It takes guts to stop fretting about the unknown and concentrate on the present moment. That’s what matters, anyway.” “And what if your present moment sucks? And you can’t even imagine what the future looks like, let alone fix your hope on that?” His breath was hot on my neck. “But does it? You’re dealing with
AdiTurbo
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can cancer and bitter divorce be used as backgrounds to a fun and light romance novel? It appears so. I enjoyed this book immensely - it is a great page turner, written with confidence and even some humor, even though the subject matter is no laughing matter. The main character, Libby, is mature and complex. She feels so real, that at the beginning I thought this was non-fiction, a true story. The novel follows all the rules of romantic fiction, but does it intelligently and offers added value.
Janani(ஜனனி)
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A humorous read.

I was laughing and crying at the same time.

I adore MC's twin brother. I LOVE HIM, tbh.

That's it.
  • Games Divas Play
  • Johnny One-Eye: A Tale of the American Revolution
  • Recovering From Life
  • Hot Sur
  • We Will Survive: True Stories of Encouragement, Inspiration, and the Power of Song
  • Ghostly Summons
  • The Perfect Son
  • Twelve to Murder (Mac Faraday Mystery, #7)
I’m the author of Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties (out 2/27/18), Forever is the Worst Long Time, The Art of Forgetting, and the #1 Kindle bestseller Life and Other Near-Death Experiences, which was recently optioned for film. My novels have been translated into twelve languages.

In another life, I was a health editor at Real Simple and Fitness magazines; these days, I write for publications like F
“Life is devastating, if only in its limited run; but it’s incredibly good, too.” 9 likes
“It’s permanence that distinguishes grief from other emotional pain. The unfixable nature of never—that’s what makes it so terrible to bear.” 7 likes