Start by marking “Spring Fever” as Want to Read:
Spring Fever

Spring Fever

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  468 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When a man needs only two hundred pounds to marry his cook and buy a public house, one would expect his life to be trouble free, but the fifth Earl of Shortlands has to reckon with his haughty daughter, Lady Adela, and Mervyn Spink, his butler, who also happens to be his rival in love. Mike Cardinal offers to sort out the problem by pretending to be Stanton Cobbold but his ...more
Published December 13th 1984 by Penguin (first published January 1st 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Spring Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spring Fever

Dan Schwent
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, 2011
Lord Shortlands (aka Shorty) needs 200 pounds so he can open a pub and marry his cook but he's competing with his own butler for her affections. Mike Cardinal wants to marry Terry Cobbold, Shorty's daughter, but she thinks he's too good-looking and a player. Standwood Cobbold wants to marry the actress Eileen Stoker but his father won't hear of it. Throw in a valuable postage stamp, imposters, mistaken identity, broken engagements, and a domineering daughter and watch the chaos ensue...

I've been
Sketchbook
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
After Joan Didion (I'm resistant to her) and "Democracy," at last : a serious novel. (Joanie came on lit scene with NY lit establishment behind her...I could never deal w that 60s book jacket photo; highly neurotica. But never mind, it had to be a difficult marriage as John Gregory vaporized....(they both had a hideous time writing a moderne "Star is Born" for mentl Streisand..need one say mo?; yes, they were pd a fortune) -- You cant drive away your mentls today on LA freeways ("Play It As...") ...more
Balazs Almasi
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Az egyik legjobb könyv Wodehouse-tól, pedig már elég sokat olvastam tőle... :)
A legtöbb könyvének gyakorlatilag szinte ugyanaz az alaptörténete, és itt sincs ez másként, szokás szerint egy vidéki kastélyban játszódik a történet, szokás szerint románcok szövődnek, és szokás szerint mindenki félreért mindenkit, és persze szokás szerint működik a bevált recept!
Külön pozitívum, hogy ebben a könyvben nincs túlzottan idióta szereplő, és minden karakternek megvan a maga bája, még a megtért bűnözőnek i
Mitch
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
What a large pile of light comedic reading this man left behind him...and he never fails to bring the reader enjoyment.

In this novel, he gives us a leading lady who has to be convinced to love a rich, extremely good looking suitor, a snooping burglaratorious butler, an ex-footballer in love with a Hollywood movie star, a frustrated Earl who wishes to marry the cook, his censorious daughter who keeps him in rigid line...and of course, mix-ups and barmy plans to bring everything to a satisfactory
Ian Wood
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘These times in which we live are not good times for Earls. Theirs was a great racket while it lasted, but the boom days are over.’ So says Wodehouse of Lord Shortlands living out of the carefully measured pocket of his daughter Lady Adela. If only he could raise two hundred pounds as down payment on a pub he could elope with his cook.

Lord Shortlands plan is complicated by the butler competing for the affections of the cook, Stanwood Cobbold and his ex-burglar valet, August Robb and the on-off e
Ian
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well written story featuring rich Americans at large in an English stately home. The impecunious owner of the stately home in question, Lord Shortlands, is a terrific character and it's odd that he doesn't appear in any other Wodehouse stories. The conniving butler, Spinks, adds a touch of the sinister usually reserved for private detectives and writers of vers libre.
Kathleen
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I shouldn't review any Wodehouse, for the simple reason that I am a Wodehouse harlot: any Wodehouse, anywhere, any time. That said, I enjoyed this lesser-known PGW novel. The characters were well-drawn and the plot typically complicated and hilarious.
James
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite Uncle Fred(my personal favorite). Not with the 'charm' of a Blandings or Jeeves,but still it is the master at his finest. Laugh out loud funny in many places. Good book.
Lloyd
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse
I've loved all of the Wodehouse that I've read so far; but, I really, really, really loved this one, great story and great storytelling. Retreating into the world of Wodehouse is the ultimate escape.
Arianna
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book, wcsu
shelfnotes.com

Dear Reader,

Well. That Publisher's Description up there left a little bit to be desired, eh? I couldn't find any good "official" descriptions of the book out there, so I dug up what Wikipedia had to say - it seems to help a little, I think. Although nothing seems to be doing this book justice. It's hilarious. And I'd expect nothing less from Wodehouse. The man is a comic genius. I am constantly laughing out loud while reading his novels. His wit and sarcasm blend well together, pro
P Dreadful
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I never imagined that I would like any work of Wodehouse which does not feature Lord Emsworth and the Empress of Blandings, but I was wrong. There are more twists and turns in this novel, compared to a regular Blandings novel. There's a butler who looks like an aristocrat and an aristocrat who looks like a butler, a hopeless love triangle, lovers' tiffs and an extremely satisfying ending. In short, it's a delightful read. I would recommend it to anyone who is in dire need of a good laugh.
William
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing significant here, but the book is a lot of fun. This is a rare Wodehouse without either Wooster or Jeeves. It's a deliberately silly story, with a remarkably ingenious humorous plot. Mishap follows mishap. The dialog is witty and the characters memorable. Reading this is a fun way to spend a day or two.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humour, read-2006
A lighthearted romance in typical ironic Wodehouse style. Confusions, attempted break-ins, caricatured wealthy movie-making Americans and equally caricatured upper-class English Earls all mix in this enjoyable book
Phillip
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse
This book isn't terrible. It just isn't great. The plotting is nice but not startling. The characters are bland and, for me, not always sympathetic. It isn't the title I would give if someone was going to read only one Wodehouse novel.
J. Alfred
This is a Jeevesless Wodehouse, and a Jeevesless Wodehouse can make one ask what one ought to make of a diminished thing. The jokes, however, are excellent, and there are not one but two butlers doing impressive deeds in this novel. It will probably improve your life.
Matthew Hurley
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Things looked bad there towards the end, but Wodehouse (and Mycroft Cardinal) came through. Don't know why I ever doubted them.
John
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well kore of the same really with a strange indebtedness (partly) to King Lear. Beginning to think that Wodehouse was a frustrated burglar!
Pat
Very amusing with hilarious ending!
Amanda
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I feel even the slightest bit down, I really need to just remember to pick up some Wodehouse.
Aliena
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read
Miriam
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Funny, with some great lines.
Eme A
Un lord inglés que no tiene dinero para casarse con su cocinera es el punto de partida de esta divertida historia llena de enredos y de pícaros de buen corazón. Uh uh mola
Douglas Wilson
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, fiction
This read was not in the Overlook edition. Also read in August of 1984.
Lauren
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Oh wow almost done and i love it!
Anita
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a P.G. Wodehouse I didn't like. He's hilarious. I'm always willing to buy another one, and always willing to lend one to friends who return them.
Malcolm Pinch
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Wodehouse.
Caroline
Castle, burglar, actress, Americans. Plot thinner than most.
Tessa
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. Wodehouse is always perfect for some lighthearted laughs.
Shail Mohan
Sep 08, 2014
CJ Bowen
Jul 10, 2009
  • P. G. Wodehouse: A Biography
  • William the Bad (Just William, #11)
  • Nobody's Perfect (Dortmunder, #4)
  • Somerset Maugham - Of Human Bondage, & The Moon and Sixpence
  • The Dear Departed
  • England, My England
  • Escape Velocity: A Charles Portis Miscellany
  • Notes Towards the Definition of Culture
  • Rachel Ray
  • Drover's Secret Life (Hank the Cowdog, #53)
  • Twisted Tales from Shakespeare
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • A Ripple from the Storm
  • You Know Me Al
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...