Start by marking “Biggles Hits the Trail” as Want to Read:
Biggles Hits the Trail

Biggles Hits the Trail

(Biggles #8)

Biggles vertrekt met zijn vrienden naar Tibet om een huiveringwekkend raadsel te ontsluieren en daarmee een van zijn meest riskante avonturen te beleven.
Published by Brockhampton Press (first published August 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Biggles Hits the Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biggles Hits the Trail

Start your review of Biggles Hits the Trail
Ian Laird
This my favourite book from childhood, which I have read many times.

The book was in the house, probably my father's. It scared me when I first read at 13 or 14 and it retains its power even now. An unusual Biggles book, with an exotic story of mysterious foreigners who wield death rays and can turn themselves invisible. It is unusual for these elements, but also for because it is particularly imaginative.

Set in the mid-1930s (published in 1935), Biggles adventurer Uncle Richard Bigglesworth, is
Rob Markley
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
It is a rip roaring action packed children's book, and definitely Scifi adventure (along with the two 'Kings of Space' books - WE John's forays into Scifi) ; however I must address some criticisms. The book was written and set most likely in the 30's (first published 1941) when radiation et al was little understood and thought rather miraculous for all uses. That Johns attributes all sorts of properties to the mysterious radium of the blue mountain is of course scientifically wrong, but it is no ...more
Hans
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time B-Favourites!
Delightful nonsense.
Clearly, the author didn't know the slightest thing regarding radio-activity.
If radiation is so strong to paralyze people, disrupt engines, turn metal into biscuits (is there any metal in your plane...)
Then people would die on the spot. Take a look at the fate of the brave fire-fighters of the Chernobyl disaster. They lasted minutes.
But when "Hits the trail" was written, Nuclear technology was the unbound promise of the future
John
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Biggles, Ginger and Algy travel with his uncle Dickpa and his scientfic assistant to the Himalayas to recover a special type of radium that emits a blue beam.

The mountain is inhabited by an ancient asiatic race that have death rays and a power station. Everything gets thrown in.
Justin Tuijl
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who'd had thought radiation would save the day? WEJ gets a bit inspired by his space series I think.
Gerhard Venter
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Couldn't help it - childhood memories. It's really miserable if you read it now. I shouldn't have. But it helped make me who I am. Which isn't necessarily high praise.
David Sarkies
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
One of the stranger Biggles books
1 January 2014

If this was the first Biggles book that you read then you would be forgiven for thinking at all of the Biggles books were like this one and thus throwing the whole series away in disgust when you discover that they are not. This one book has everything that you would expect from a 1930's pulp science-fiction story – secret cults, ageless men, robotic centipedes, and ray guns that are designed to kill people and disable aircraft. In fact, this parti
John Davies
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
All I can vaguely remember about this book is the man-eating electro-centipedes (or whatever they were. Biggles works out they use electricity to move and stun their prey, and comes up with a way to use rubber matting to be able to step through the electrical field and not be stunned immobile.
Daniel Bratell
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Been a long time since I read it but I remember reading it multiple times so I must have liked it.

Biggles is in Tibet, before the Chinese occupation.
Salome
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Luckily I was prepared for the unnatural part of the story; sometimes it was little too far-fetched for a war heroes. Still adventurous and funny.
Edwin
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeugd, 2016
persoonlijk vond ik dit een wat minder verhaal. Biggles ziet er niet tegenop om een hele groep mensen te doden in hun poging in radium te bemachtigen.
Pete Wildman
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the oddest Biggles books, more of a science fiction kind of story, with invisible Chinamen planning to take over the world. Always nice to see Tibet get a mention, though!
Philip
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Science fiction Biggles! With liberal doses of casual and not so casual racism. Nevertheless an exciting story that holds up surprisingly well.
T.S.Vaidyanathan
Feb 25, 2012
Rudi Ghijsens
Jul 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen, #3)
  • At Winter's End (New Springtime, #1)
  • Just So Stories
  • Enchanted Forests
  • The Moment of Eclipse
  • A Shadowed Livery (Inspector James Given, #1)
  • Antebellum Awakening (The Network Series, #2)
  • The Jungle Book
  • The Untethered
  • The Ballad of Lost C'mell
  • First Lensman (Lensman, #2)
  • Murder in the Gunroom
  • Rise of the Dragons (Kings and Sorcerers, #1)
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
  • Shadows of Ecstasy
  • O Mendigo e Outros Contos
  • Storm Over Warlock (Forerunner, #1)
  • A Bullet for Cinderella
Invariably known as Captain W.E. Johns, William Earl Johns was born in Bengeo, Hertfordshire, England. He was the son of Richard Eastman Johns, a tailor, and Elizabeth Johns (née Earl), the daughter of a master butcher. He had a younger brother, Russell Ernest Johns, who was born on 24 October 1895.

He went to Hertford Grammar School where he was no great scholar but he did develop into a crack sh

Biggles (1 - 10 of 126 books)
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming