Start by marking “Charcoal Tears (Seraph Black, #1)” as Want to Read:
Charcoal Tears (Seraph Black, #1)

Charcoal Tears

(Seraph Black #1)

“You see, there is safety in simplicity… in a life of simple peace, where the electricity doesn’t dance across the backs of my eyelids, and the sparks don’t slither over my consciousness. Only asinine peace, where my paintings don’t seem to paint themselves, leaving me with terrible feelings of premonition and a chill beneath my fingernails.”

Seraph Black used to think that
Published September 14th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Charcoal Tears, please sign up.
Jane Washington Hi Siv,

Hi Siv,

Word of advice, don't count your chickens before they're hatched! I have it on good authority that the second half of Charcoal Tears is complete, utter, rambling CRAP, so you don't need to stress about release dates for number 2 in the series.
Now that your expectations are dismally low, go back and enjoy the rest of the book :p
On a more serious note, thank you for reading it, and I hope you enjoy it!! I'll keep you updated on the release schedule via my blog.
Or telepathy.
Whichever is more reliable.
-Jane(less)
Jane Washington Hello Sonya!

Book two is available for pre-order now, you can find it here:

The release date is 29-02-16

Helen 2.0
I recently looked up the common methods of cult indoctrination - on HowStuffWorks, because I have no class - and came to a chilling conclusion; the Zevgheni are a cult, and Seph is in the process of joining.

Every key step for indoctrinating a cult member (aka thought reform), listed in the linked article, is reflected in Charcoal Tears. See for yourself:

- Step 1, Deception - cults trick new members into joining by misleading them or withholding information about the true nature of the group; t
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
FREE! July 1, 2019 on US Kindle. I am in the Seraph Black bubble forever. #eatallthecake

FIRST READ NOVEMBER 2017: ★★★★★
SECOND READ JULY 2018: ★★★★★

New thoughts: OMG the LURVE is still strong and filled with many ALL CAPS. All I can say is that it awakens my inner Twilight fangirl. I love the boys, I love Seraph, I love EVERYTHING. It's similar to that magic I felt when I first read the Fever series, discovered Eric Northman from the Sookie books, and... Twilight. On to re-reading book two!

origin
Pao
Sep 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Pao by: Siv Therese
I'll start of by saying that I don't intend to offend the author or anyone who has read the book and liked it.

This is my opinion.

As this is my opinion, I'm going to speak the truth about what I think.

Summed up in one image:

Charcoal Tears felt like reading a damn copy of The Academy Series by C.L. Stone.

That's the ugly truth.

It's not the same word by word, but there are TOO MANY "similarities" existing between one and the other and you cannot expect me not to point them out when I've read The
Cece Rose
Welcome to Chesca's fantastical ONE STAR review of Charcoal Tears!

Firstly, let's begin with the main character, Seraph. Ugh, who calls their main character Seraph? Doesn't that mean angel or something stupid? Like SOOOOO pretentious. She's also artistic and looks after her younger brother, taking on abuse herself from her father to keep her little bro safe. Ugh, she's clearly just added this in to trick us into feeling sorry for this whore.

And then we have four guys. FOUR GUYS. Can you bel
Siv Therese
Holy s***!
Its freaking The academy with fantasy and horror elements!
DAMN! One of my fav books of the year. And its a YA...
"Fan-girl-squeek!"

I dont even know where to start with this. Although there are a lot of references from CL stones academy series, meaning
- abusive parent
- reverse harem
- one sibling
- stalker
- bomb on school ground
- "family" bonds
- more mature the more you read, and more hot..mmm

It still didn't feel like complete rip off. Strange. There are so many similarities but
Alex
No thanks.
I'm so disappointed after reading all those raving reviews, and I'm obviously the odd man out, but I absolutely hated this book and the characters. I'm actually angry I finished it and didn't just DNF like I should have.
I'm trying not to write an ugly review, but I have to say I need more world building and character development. The MC just annoyed me to death, but, to others this could be the best book they will ever read, so good luck if you try it. I'm defiantly skipping this ser
Gwen
Well the strangest thing happened when I finished the book and stopped to give my rating - a flock of flying pigs flew past my window (say that five times fast), I just realised I had just given a 4 star rating to a YA book AAAAAAAARGHHH!!!
Yes it's true a real 4 star rating who would have believed this day would happen, certainly not me. A 5 star of course is when hell freezes over and I have to admit having a few chills when reading this book but I resisted the feeling and ploughed ahead.
Damn t
Dianne
Here's YOUR chance to WIN one of SEVEN eCopies from Jane Washington!
International - Click on Banner to Enter! - Ends November 2, 2015

Meet Seraph Black. She’s a survivor, she’s proven it, time and again. Just stay calm, stay under the radar and keep surviving, not always easy, but it works, or at least it had until her world changes with just the screech of some tires. Cue the music, backlighting and action…two of the most overpowering and handsome teens to ever grace her school have arrived, and
Jeanny
Apr 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Cliffhanger ending.

DNF disliked the protagonist. She's a 17 year old artist who is dense, gullible, weak, has low self esteem, is socially awkward, painfully shy, lacks self preservation & common sense I could go on but I'm sure my point was made. She has no redeemable personality traits. She's supposedly beautiful, magically gifted with 2 rare abilities, & every hot guy (that matters) wants her so of course every female hates her. She’s so special she doesn't just get paired with 2 guy
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the MacHalo.

I can't believe I'm so affected by a YA novel. What the hell is happening with me? I mean it's not just an YA, it's one of many YA I read and liked in the past few months.

I can't properly express my feelings about this book mainly because I don't really understand them. I thought that if give myself some time and start the second book things will clear out a bit but now as I approach the end of Watercolour Smile I'm even more confused. And I have this heavy feeling i
Kara
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abbie
This is one of the most frustrating books I have ever read. I don't even fully understand the backstory! To briefly sum up this book is about Seraph, a girl who's grown up in a severely broken home with her little brother and abusive father. Then two new boys (Cabe and Noah) start school and basically attach themselves to her, acting all mysterious and protective/possessive. Oh and lets not forget Silas - the intense, brooding guy who hangs around at Seraph's work - and his twin brother Miro... ...more
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Meh. It happens everyday that you go from school ghost to having two hot brothers shadow you everywhere, right? Right. Reverse harem book, but strictly PG. Nothing hinky happens in this YA book. Seraph is a little too emo for me to like.
Josie Kent
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OH. MY. GOD. This book LITERALLY BLEW ME AWAY!!!! I've read Jane's books in the past, but this was something special. AGGHH I NEED MORE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the friendships that Seraph has with the others, even though the boys try to push the boundaries, I still felt like they had a real connection beneath all the 'bond' stuff, and I appreciated that.

Have I mentioned Silas yet?

Because....

WOW.

Cabe was my second favorite. I liked that he was always so happy and and bright. Seraph needed a
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Stuff clearly happened. I, as the reader, was not informed of much of it. I, as the reader, do expect/anticipate MANY explanations in the next book. And Team Silas, just gonna put that out there.

Thank you Taly.....again. This book was really pretty good. You've done it again. Touche.

Happy Reading!!
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
You know, while this book does have a few points I felt could have been better executed (I’ll discuss further down), I overall found this book to be an example of why I usually quite like the indie books I come across. Though it’s evident this author isn’t the most polished and probably didn’t have a massive editing team behind her to make all the rough edges glimmer, I still see ample talent from her and overall have good impressions of her from this book.

What drew me into this book was that t
Rhea_Sways
This book is a torture device in the best and the worst way!

Disclaimer: I will admit I went ahead and read the 2nd book too before writing this review so I will try to keep it as separate as possible.

I am so confused as to how I am planning to rate this. So I will follow many of my fellow reviewers and break this down into the good and the bad and rate it after. Before that..

ok one more

That was for my new found love for polyamorous relationships.

The Good: Concept/Plot
I discovered a new
Spoon
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you say it's like The Academy series... I'm on it. SO SO SO on it. I don't care if it reads like the names have been switched. I want more books like these.
Princess J. Antoinette
I found this book by chance and I must say I'm quite please with the results. I can say it's kind of different from any other fantasy genre books I've read previously but it still held the wonder of fantasy and magic. And I most definitely loved the relationship dynamics between the main characters.

So on I go to book 2 to learn more about these characters and what other secrets and wonders this author has to tell me about.

Overall rating:

4*~ Pretty Good
Harrison
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book truly exceeded my expectations. Gripping from the very first scene. The quality of writing was superb, the descriptions of the characters moving and the imagery vivid. From the very opening lines I knew this was gonna be one hell of a good book.
I must admit I had a hard time getting my head around four men being so heavily interested in this one girl with their unusually complicated relationships with her, but it made for a whole new level of suspense I had not encountered before in a
Ashley
Didn't think I could love Jane Washington more than I did before I read this book. I was wrong! Gah! I think I'm in love with Silas. Is that weird?
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
Reread 4-6-17

Had a friend sit me down and look at this from a different perspective. So I did. Turned out to like it somewhat. I still can't look past somethings but I will move on to the next book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original Review
My edition: Kindle
Pages: 268
Series: Seraph Black #1
Rating: No rating

Review: I had to take a little break from the Derek and Sofia drama so I thought this might work. Well I chose this book because it was recommended to me since I liked C.L. Stone Academy serie
Mita
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a bizarre one.

The premise is intriguing; a girl, Seraph, brought up in a harsh life, made tough to survive, all the while carrying a secret so bizarre there is no one safe to tell, finds herself caught between not TWO, but FOUR individuals who bolster her self-confidence and makes her feel safe despite her harsh life and yet, when a stalker is introduced to said life, she can't tell who threaten her survival more, the guys or her stalker.
very cool.

BUT, there is a confusion that comes wi
Megan
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pernille
Love the idea

I am all for the reverse harem story Line - however, this was extremely frustrating to read. You Will not get one. Single. Answer. NOT ONE. And on top of that you get a huge cliffhanger. Christ. Some times I wonder if authors Think the only Way to get the readers to buy the next book is to make sure the first one ends with a cliffhanger and a billion questions. What happened to wanting to buy the next in the series because the first one was awesome?

Also, it is very juvenile - ridicu
Al *the semi serial series skipper*

So I read this because this author had a hand in writing trickery and I thought this would be awesome.Well, sometimes co-writing a book really does work. I liked this but not as much as I did Trickery.

The entire book and I still don't know what is going on, who's bad or good. What the bond thing is all about. I don't even think I like the MMC or the FC, they were just too bland for me. I also did not like the way Seraph never questioned anything, they tell her to leave her family , sh
Stepherz
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay.. honestly I’m just reading the next book for “the messenger” and maybe Silas too.
Felicia
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of this book gave me serious Twilight vibes. With the whole almost getting squished by a car thing. But that's where the comparison stops.
(view spoiler)
Bella
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I don’t know how the hell I stumbled across this book, but when I read the synopsis I knew immediately that I wanted to read it… and I did! And I could NOT put it down! It reminded me pretty heavily of one of my favourite YA series by C.L. Stone; which is a great thing, because there’s just something so addictive (and amazing) about reverse harem books.

Seraph was an incredibly lovable little 'mouse'. She covered a lot of bases – she was vulnerable, a bit damaged, strong, pat
Rhiannon Chillingworth
I don't really know how to feel about this one. 3.5 I guess.

I found it super-readable and looked forward to reading it. I liked and sympathised with Seraph and liked her a lot more than I usually like YA heroines. I found her behaviour and reactions to things believable for someone with her life experiences. I also thought the abuse story line was dealt with well, in the sense that it wasn't sensationalising it is a gratuitous way, which I've seen done a lot with similar protagonists. And Jane W

• Crescent Moon (Phoebe Harkness, #2)
  • Battle Cry (Loki's Wolves, #3)
  • Destruction's Ascent (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #3)
  • Necromancing Nim (Necromancing Nim, #1)
  • Solatium (Emanations #2)
  • Cold Mark (Mark, #1)
  • Golden Anidae (Blushing Death #4)
  • Electric Moon (Raven Investigations, #2)
  • Finding My Pack (My Pack, #1)
  • Edged Blade (Colbana Files, #4)
  • The First Time in Forever (Songbird Series, #1)
  • War Witch
  • Reign of the Vampires (The Society #1)
  • Blood Hound
  • Of Scions and Men
  • The Demon of Darkling Reach (The Black Prince Trilogy, #1)
  • Nameless: The Darkness Comes (The Bone Angel Trilogy, #1)
  • Outlaw: A Dark Fantasy Novel
Jane is a caffeine-addicted manic stuffed into the body of a passably-functioning human being. She also happens to be a Wall Street Journal bestselling author, and has sold over a million ebooks worldwide. Living in Australia with a few cacti and a miniature dachshund [see: dictator], she spends her time writing books … and then telling everyone not to read them.

Seraph Black (4 books)
  • Watercolour Smile (Seraph Black, #2)
  • Lead Heart (Seraph Black, #3)
  • A Portrait of Pain (Seraph Black, #4)
“His phone rang again, and he turned it on speaker. “Adair residence—”
“Shut up, Cabe.” Silas’s voice filled the car. “Your Lexus isn’t a residence, and I know you’re driving, because I’m watching your GPS dot move down the road.”
15 likes
“I don’t have a cherubic bone in my body.”
“Maybe you’ve got your bone in someone else’s cherubic body then?”
9 likes