Start by marking “Rumi: Poems” as Want to Read:
Rumi: Poems

Rumi: Poems

The poetry of the medieval Persian sage Rumi combines lyrical beauty with spiritual profundity, a sense of rapture, and acute awareness of human suffering in ways that speak directly to contemporary audiences.

Trained in Sufism--a mystic tradition within Islam--Rumi founded the Sufi order known to us as the Whirling Dervishes, who use dance and music as part of their spirit
Published June 6th 2006 by Everyman's Library (first published April 1st 1258)

Start your review of Rumi: Poems
Jarrett
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
my Bosnian mom gave me this for my 16th birthday. I read Rumi everyday, if i didn't I'd be a giant asshole.
Yelda Basar Moers
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Everyman’s Library Rumi pocket edition (which I recently finished) is wonderful because it features poems from the various well-known translators of Rumi, including my favorites Coleman Barks, Kabir Helminski, and R.A. Nicholson. So it is a beautiful survey of the different translations of Rumi out there! The editor really wanted to do Rumi justice by featuring all the different translators and their poems. And it's a perfect small size to take anywhere! My favorite translator will always b ...more
Bree
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, poetry
i really enjoy reading this poet, his poems often require second glances to fully understand but that is the way it should be with all poetry
Hanan
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is always a beautiful experience to see the world through his eyes. I pity those who haven't the chance to meet Rumi yet.
Fab
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there.”
One of my favorite quotes of all time. Excellent read! And a wonderful introduction to Rumi, looking forward to reading more on him.
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I own this book I can read these forever and never get tired of them Wonderful translation.
Wafaa Abu Saadah
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I fought myself not to read one more piece of this until I read it all.
Sydney Kirsch
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve never read such a collection of biblical references with so little biblical worldview. Picking out each idea and holding it up against the last idea and against the Bible was super interesting, despite the fact that the poems let me down a lot of the time. There were plenty of gems, though, and I think it may have been worth digging through the rubble to find them.

There was a lot of beauty here.
Ru
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m glad I started this year with this book.
The chosen poems were all so good.
Although the last thing in the book I thought shouldn’t have been added to the book tbh specially since nothing matched it from the book.
but still, great book.
I’m looking forward to learn about this dude.
Jardin Telling
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful. Excited to read more of Rumi’s work and poetry in the coming weeks. My heart feels much lighter after exploring some of his texts.
Kathryn
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I carried this pocket edition around with me everywhere while I was travelling Morocco, and it was a perfect companion.

“Sit with your friends, don’t go back to sleep.

Don’t sink like a fish to the bottom of the sea.

Surge like an ocean,

Don’t scatter yourself like a storm.

Life’s waters flow from darkness.

Search the darkness, don’t run from it.

Night travellers are full of light,

And you are too; don’t leave this companionship.

Be a wakeful candle in a golden dish,

Don’t slip into the dirk like quic
Leeza Donatella
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Any book by Rumi will guide you in your daily life.
Always a recommended Read
Tirza Schaefer
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should not only read Rumi but feel it, integrate it into their being. It should be required reading for school and higher education, no matter which field of study you're in. It forms not only the mind but the heart and character, as well as elevating the spirit.
G. Lawrence
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, interesting, evocative and thought-provoking. Will be reading again. Amazingly modern, in many ways.
Michael
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beyoncé and Jay-Z chose a good name for (one of) their twins. Rumi is a boss.

The most similar writer I know of is Chuang Tzu, but Rumi is more learned an intellectual than his ancient Chinese counterpart. These poems are by turns paradoxical, visionary, earthy, hilarious and passionate. I can't think of another poet I've read who wrote so many different kinds of equally successful verse. Though perhaps this edition gives an overstated sense of Rumi's variety, because it uses seven different tran
Niloo
Apr 07, 2011 added it
Shelves: poetry
Beautiful read. Rumi always speaks to me.
The best Sufi poet ever!
Farah Al-Shuhail
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book will remain on my nightstand for the rest of my life!
Maya Kenova
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rumi's poetry is simply timeless. Love and life radiate from every line.
Moshtaq Xani
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian Wilcox
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have much enjoyed Coleman Barks, The Essential Rumi, over the last 2 decades plus, and this one is on a par, and having different translators provides a variety of styles. I found helpful to note the differences between the more literal and more free renditions. Also, the explanatory notes of some of the translators assisted in not only understanding the poetry but Isalm and mysticism within Islam.

While Rumi has become a popular read and known as Sufi, and rarely acknowledged as a devotee of
Jane
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
"What you seek is seeking you" - that is what made me seek out a book of poetry by Rumi.

So many quotable quotes. I enjoyed "Restless" - till I see your face I'll never know rest...this heart of mine...only wants to know when you'll arrive...keeping one wish in my heart, making love to your desires."

Other lines that stood out to me: "Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love." Also, "Don't try to steer the boat. Don't open a shop by yourself. Listen. Keep silent
Hussein Gaafer
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It still (just as many of spiritual poetry books) requires further commentary to be well understood, it's not an easy read at all without it and i had to refer to internet to get more explanation for what I've been reading.
Jas Randhawa
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking and essential inspiration for all philosophical poets. This type of book is not one to plough through in one go, rather to read, take in and reflect upon each carefully translated piece of writing. Opens up many ideas on life, love, religion, morality and spiritual growth.

Désirée Blondin-White
I loved it, I took my time and read each one, looked online for more insights, and I loved the richness of the metaphors and similes. I just feel like I missed so much of the original beauty from the translation, but it can’t be helped.
Andriana
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
"Lovers don't finally meet somewhere,
they're in each other all along."

It seems that only Rumi can define Love.
Sarahamz UAE
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent short poems and pieces of wisdom by Rumi. I really enjoyed reading some of them over and over. Inspiring
Chloe
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was good and I really enjoyed the insight it gave me. Now I want to read it in the original Persian...
Amanda Perry
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve long wanted to read a collection of Rumi’s poetry, and this text was wonderful, with plenty of information on the translations and historical context.
Siti Aziz
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks for making Rumi accessible to all :)
Becca Bankert
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don’t go back to sleep.”

• When I Grow Up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Innocence of Objects
  • Rhyming Life and Death
  • How to Cure a Fanatic
  • The Rules of Life: A Personal Code for Living a Better, Happier, More Successful Life
  • Me & Rumi: The Autobiography Of Shams-i Tabrizi
  • Great Catastrophe: Armenians and Turks in the Shadow of Genocide
  • The Caucasus: An Introduction
  • The Turks Today
  • From the Sultan to Atatürk: Turkey
  • Atatürk: The Biography of the Founder of Modern Turkey
  • Խոդեդան
  • Écrits
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī - also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī, Mevlânâ/Mawlānā (مولانا, "our master"), Mevlevî/Mawlawī (مولوی, "my master") and more popularly simply as Rumi - was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian and Sufi mystic who lived in Konya, a city of Ottoman Empire (Today's Turkey). His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's lan ...more

News & Interviews

“ليس فى العالم شر مطلق،إنما هو نسبى.” 87 likes
“the soul has been given it's own ears to hear things the mind does not understand.” 52 likes