Start by marking “Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite” as Want to Read:
Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite

Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite

Filled with fun anecdotes, quirky photos, and off-the-wall business advice, the provocative sequel to "It's Not How Good You Are, It's How good You Want to Be" reveals the surprising power of bad decisions.
Published March 10th 2006 by Portfolio (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite, please sign up.
Omar Fetouh الموقع هنا ليس لتحميل و قرصنة الكتب، بل للتعرف على كتبٍ جديدةٍ و افكار واراء القراء عليها

Start your review of Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite
Jan-Maat
There is a legend from the beginning of time when all the parts of the body were equal. Being fated to inequality the organs, limbs, and parts debated who should rule the body. The brain said that it ought to rule because it was the thinking organ. The heart said that it ought to rule because life was impossible without it. Then the arsehole said that that it ought to rule because it wanted to. All the other parts of the body laughed - even the gall bladder. In a huff the anal sphincter refused ...more
Tarek Amr
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dun-own
Interesting 20 minutes read. Yet, the normal self-improvement books that encourages you but teaches you nothing
Muhammed Hebala
Great, totally revolutionary, and out of the box .

This is a super-quick read, making each point succinctly, and then moving on to the next. This will take you less than an hour and you will be so glad you spent the time.

Insightful book with a practical perspective for those who want to better themselves in their careers and life alike.

It states the truth and facts that one may be consciously aware of but incompetent in employing the powerful insights given.
It triggers thinking and deep introspec
Caitlin
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity, business
I bought Arden's "It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be" a few years ago, and I think it's one of the best books on creativity and how to achieve what you want that I've seen. It's basically a pocket-sized kick in the pants for those moments when you need that. Since reading that book I'd been considering getting "Whatever You Think, Think The Opposite" but whenever I'd picked it up in a bookshop, it always seemed to be rehashing some of what was in the first book. So when a fr ...more
Helen
I love all Arden Books!! This has a philosophical theme to it, with lots of crazy, interesting ideas. What I like about it, is that it has many art and design references. This is great because I studied Graphic design at university.
Batoul Al-Mutab
May 08, 2010 rated it liked it
I really liked this book.. simple, to the point and only 140 pages!
things that I liked:
1- There is no right point of view!
You are always right.
You are always wrong.
It just depends from which pole you looked at.
2- Having an original point of view is a novelty. Recognizing its value is intelligent. Having the courage to stand up for it in the face of public opinion is what makes you a winner.

Mohamed Younoussi
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think that the book is not good and catchy as the title is , lot of short incompleted ideas , I loved some images .
Rosy Kefrawi
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't agree with the author on many points, and I think that some ideas needed to be more developed and thorough. Nevertheless, the book was quite interesting and motivational, despite it being an easy read.
Mario Tomic
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Similar to "It's not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want to Be" this book offers very condense and powerful self-managements advice. The 2 big ideas I got out of it are:

1. Playing it "safe" in life leads to misery and regrets, recognize the benefits of making wrong decisions. The author makes a point that most the best ideas and lessons we have in life came from what we perceived at first were bad decisions, this is a very mind blowing realization if you think about it.

"The unsafe decision
Sophie
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Paul Arden aims to provide off-beat advice on being a creative, however, there were a lot of points in this book that had me shaking my head in disagreement. Arden suggests "at twenty-eight it is a bit late to find out you are in the wrong job" and don't go to university because "for all your education, you will still be the office junior." Arden goes to to state he "feels sorry for these people" who go to university, and ends up coming across as rather ignorant and patronising rather than helpf ...more
Ben Carter
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
When thinking about reading this book one should consider the advice from its author written on the front cover. To my astonishment, one reviewer described the book as, "A daring attack on the way we look at our work and our world." I would say it was more banal than brave and despite some semi-interesting paradoxes, you can find most of these cliches and pithy observations scrolling down social media sites, being shared by people who enjoy the short-term feeling that this sort of motivation is ...more
Yousif Al Zeera
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A one-day wake-up call.
Malvika
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The opposite of self-help books because this one actually helps. This book on creativity (and other things) is beautifully done, with the writer offering one-page advice that can help anyone on their creative journey or even someone who is eager to quit their job (DO IT). Filled with photos that complement Arden's wise words, the book is a work of genius and one that I intend to visit over and over whenever I am stuck at a particular phase.
Katka Flo Vyskočová
Picked this up randomly from my parents’ shelf. Can be easily substituted by 20 minutes of scrolling through a pseudo motivational instagram feed of your choice.
Dimitris Hall
This book is so short you can throw in a re-read every time you're about to lend it out and it gets better every time because every time you're just a bit older and different parts stay with you in new ways. I think I've already read it 4 times in random the years I've owned it just by picking it up and putting it down 30 minutes later having read it all and thinking about it anew. I like thinking outside the box in extreme ways, if not practically in my life at least in theory (figures: why els ...more
Diana Ouma
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love books that make me think. Or make me feel. Or make me see. There is something powerful about getting a reaction out of people. Not only is this book educational, inspiring and thought provoking, it is a work of art. Each page showcases a different art piece that ties into the words.

Paul Arden does not use many words. It is a 143 page book after all. However, I feel like I got more out of it than reading a 400 page non-fiction. This comes from the simplicity of the words. They are so litt
Aaz Alzahrani
it was a light read and a fun one too,
1-i liked the Kodak story and how experience is not always good for you. the two pages with (I wish and I want) definitions were cool and to the point.
2-i am one of those who try to prefect something before they do it and this is WRONG, waste of time and you will end up not doing it at all, so we should not wait for perfection, we have to run with what we've got and fix it as we go!
3-i liked the idea of asking questions like ( what is wrong with .......?) i
Amna_M_240526
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not one of your typical self-help book and what I like most about it is that it delivers the idea in a very creative way, either supported by an interesting story, written in a big font all over the page or just expressed in a picture or a design. Similar to 'Damn Good Advice', 'It's Not Who You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be', the books' pictures and illustrations are extremely impressive and interesting. Another great thing about it is that you could just pick it up at any time, ran ...more
M Gouda
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I WISH MEANS: wouldn't it be nice if ......
If you always make the right decision the safe decision, the one most people make, you will be the same as everyone else.
Always wishing life was different .
--------------
Making the safe decision is dull, predictable and leads nowhere new.
The unsafe decision causes you to think and respond in away you hadn't though of.
---------
Everyone wants an exciting life, but most of people are afraid to take the bull by the horns.
-------
He Said, 'Dad, i'm in troubl
Samir Nammoor
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-english
I've always hated this kind of books, they always make you feel stupid and lacking willpower. They summarize Life with all of its stupidity and cruelty in simple and short stories. You will have a short burst of energy and enthusiasm, and that's it.

Having said that however, I have to admit that I liked the way this book was presented. It was funny and well illustrated. The idea itself is interesting, You don't ever listen to common sense. This reminded me of one Episode of Seinfeld, when The awe
Bashayer
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The world is what you think of it.
So think of it differently and your life will change."

Despite that the gap in real life is bigger than how he described it, this book inspired me and let me have that feeling that i can do whatever i want and succeed in it.

I didn't like how he encouraged people not to go to university and get fired from their jobs because jobs and education are important and not easy to get.

Anyway i had fun reading this inspirational book and i recommend it.

Linh P. Truong
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super duper interesting book challenges the way you look at things. A piece of art and mental booster at the just right time. Can't put it down till the very last page!
"I wish means wouldnt it be nice if... if you alws make the right decision, the safe decision, the one most pple make, you will be the same as everyone else. Alws wishing life was different"
Valeria
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I think the author made his point clear halfway into the book... And sort of bored me with his restless, slightly cocky insistence about the topic during the latter half. Still made an excellent point, though!
Vanny Kusumawardhani
Sep 02, 2014 rated it did not like it

Full of quotes about motivation and few tips about marketing.
Sadly, nothing special about this book, you can get any of the quotes easily on the internet. It's also forgettable. Very light reading.
Plus side, the typography and design of this book is beautiful.
Slim
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is for troublemakers by a troublemaker,a creative, a prodigy: the Paul Arden ! Must be read regularly !
Bimo Pratama
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Meera AlSuwaidi
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
Highly recommended to everyone!!

No matter how old you are, and what you're doing in your life, this book is a must read. It's filled with so many inspirational quotes and graphics, totally engaging.

Grab it when you're on the go and trust me you won't regret it.
Mohammed Alhaddad
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
i would rather reading a full book on how to and making the best of changing the way one's think rather than the short series of pictures and ideas , but nevertheless , i enjoyed reading the book and i would recomend it to anyone who want to take the courage and think the opposite.
قبسات من كتاب #فكر_العكس 1 7 Mar 26, 2017 12:03AM

• Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois
  • Failed It!: How to Turn Mistakes Into Ideas and Other Advice for Successfully Screwing Up
  • غير فكرك
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • #44 أنت تستطيع
  • ‫غير فكرك ‬

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Paul Arden (7 April 1940 – 2 April 2008) was an influential author of several books on advertising and motivation including "Whatever You Think, Think The Opposite" and "It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be" and a former creative director for Saatchi and Saatchi at the height of their advertising might.
In 1987 Arden was appointed executive creative director. He has spent 14 year