Start by marking “Bird Minds: Cognition and Behaviour of Australian Native Birds” as Want to Read:
Bird Minds: Cognition and Behaviour of Australian Native Birds

Bird Minds: Cognition and Behaviour of Australian Native Birds

Winner of a 2016 Whitley Award Commendation for Behavioural Zoology

Recent published papers in the field of neurobiology and neuropsychology have dramatically changed our thinking about the avian brain and behavioral potential of birds, especially in the areas of learning, memory, plasticity, and in the cognitive and emotional domains. Bird Minds provides a fresh view of t
Published November 6th 2015 by CSIRO Publishing (first published August 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Bird Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Minds

Start your review of Bird Minds: Cognition and Behaviour of Australian Native Birds
Lyn Elliott
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A superb book. It's going on to my favourites shelf in GR. The actual book is still in print so I have my own copy to keep on my actual shelves, dozens of little yellow stickies poking out to mark points I specially want to remember.
We live in the Adelaide Hills, in a semi-bush land environment where many native birds live - rosella parrots, galahs, two species of cockatoo, finches, honey eaters, tree creepers, bronze wing pigeons and a resident family of magpies.
We have a seed feeder close to
Calzean
This is quite a scholarly piece, lots of references to studies and papers, scientific terms and taxonomies. Hidden between the technical are some real gems on the behaviour of various bird species and how they mate, cooperate, feed, nest, adapt, vocalise, learn and socialise. So I learnt that the size of the brain does not matter (so the derogatory term bird-brain is no longer relevant), song birds originate in Gondwana, and birds are so more complex and adaptable then I had thought.
Eleanor
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, birds
This is a solid work of scholarship but also contains much personal experience and observation. The author is a renowned expert on bird behaviour and is also expert in nursing and rehabilitating injured wild birds. I knew birds were a great deal smarter than they are credited to be, but I learned a lot about just how clever many of them are from this book.

I shall watch them with even more fascination from now on.
T.D. Whittle
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I are a bit nutty about our local birds and we live in Victoria, Australia; so we find Gisela Kaplan's books a pleasure to read. They are scholarly without being dry and beautifully presented. Birds are so much more fascinating and intelligent than many or perhaps most people suppose, and some of our Australian birds are the brightest of the bright, with quite complex songs and social arrangements. I highly recommend both Bird Minds and The Australian Magpie. ...more
Alison
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished this ebook, I went straight and bought the physical book. Not because there is anything wrong with the ebook, which is well done, but because this book is just that good. In particular, Kaplan includes a wonderful summary organised by type of bird at the end, making this highly sciency account also really useful for refreshing your memory while birdwatching.
Australian birds are pretty amazing, and Kaplan takes us through why and how they are so amazing with methodical, referenced
Alex Rogers
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strictly one for serious bird enthusiasts, the book is written by a double PHD and Australian expert in bird cognition, and presents the current state of research into bird intelligence and emotion. It is densely referenced and researched, bringing together much of the current state of research and informed by the author's own decades of avian research as well as her experiences in wildlife rescue & rehabilitation. A fascinating look at how birds think, and the rapidly changing scientific unders ...more
David
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting summary of what is known about avian cognition in Australia and put into context with other classes as well as other parts of the world. Some novel information is provided as well. Sadly this book is so poorly organized, written, and edited makes it worth it only to those studying these subjects. Multiple basic mistakes ("x species is found on y continent" when in reality it is found on z continent) makes me wonder what other mistakes were made.
Nancy
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Audience: general readers, bird-lovers, lovers of nature
Tone: informative, anecdotal, entertaining
Find out which bird is the smartest in all of Australia!
Deepsheep
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Opens eyes to what precious souls with whom we share the earth.
Dare Talvitie
Jan 15, 2017
Itsy Drew
Jan 26, 2017

• Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
  • Tropical Food Gardens: A Guide for Fruit, Herbs and Vegetables in Tropical and Sub-Tropical Climates
  • Superpower: Australia's Low-Carbon Opportunity
  • Red Birds
  • Soul Music (Discworld, #16; Death, #3)
  • Dark Emu
  • Speaking Up
  • A Spool of Blue Thread
  • A Keeper
  • The Friend
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano #5)
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • The Survival of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #2)
  • The Murders of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #1)
  • The Best Democracy Money Can Buy
  • The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2)
  • Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children from Sex