Start by marking “Lady Killer (Lady Killer (Collected Editions), #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Killer (Lady Killer (Collected Editions), #1)

Lady Killer (Lady Killer

(Lady Killer (Collected Editions) #1)

Josie Schuller is a picture-perfect homemaker, wife, and mother-but she's also a ruthless, efficient killer! She's balanced cheerful domestic bliss with coldly performed assassinations, but when Josie finds herself in the crosshairs, her American Dream life is in danger! Collects issues #1-#5. "A level of violence that can only be described as Mad Men's Betty Draper meets  ...more
Published September 15th 2015 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 7th 2015)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was super fun and a bit gory. Just a bit 😄

Good graphics and I enjoyed the storyline!

Happy Reading!

Mel ❤

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

AMAZON: REVIEW
Jeff
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
This is a tongue-in-cheek collection about a 1950’s housewife, who moonlights as an assassin. It could use a little more tongue and less cheek, but otherwise it’s fairly entertaining.

The writing gets talky and bogged down midway when the killer agency overlord questions mom’s continued usefulness as an agent of death.

The concept doesn’t seem sustainable beyond this five issue collection and the satirical twist on the idyllic ‘50’s seems on dangerously thin ice by the last issue. By volumes end,
Joe Valdez
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm in love with Lady Killer.

The Dark Horse comic book with a story by Joëlle Jones & Jamie S. Rich, artwork by Joëlle Jones and colors by Laura Allred debuted in September 2015 and issues #1-5 are bound here, with a sketchbook of character designs and spoof ads. I'm not a comic book buyer because of my literary (and cheapskate) belief that one purchase should equal one story. I don't like getting into a narrative and being told to pop more quarters in the machine. To my pleasure and surpris
Matthew
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - very interesting! Action packed! No punches pulled!

Did you see that movie True Lies? Well what if it wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger hiding his secret agent life from Jamie Lee Curtis? What if Jamie Lee was a 1950s/60s housewife hiding her secret agent life from Arnold?

Action packed and risque at times. Not for the sensitive and feint of heart. But, if you are okay watching a mild-mannered housewife go from cooking a pot roast to stabbing some guy in the eye with a knife that would make Micha
Julie
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
It's odd that I'm giving this adult graphic novel four stars instead of five. (Actually, what's really odd is that I read it in the first place).

It is far more artistic, clear to read, and cohesive in plot than just about any other in its genre, but, the interesting part is, it was so well-done, I came to have actual expectations for it, and when I encountered a couple of sloppy transitions at the end, I felt disappointed (thus the loss of one star).

This is a story centered around Josie Schulle
Sam Quixote
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josie Schuller is the stereotypical 1960s housewife/mom - and a secret assassin! But when the organisation decides she’s a liability to be disposed of, Josie must use all her skills to neutralise the threat and keep her family alive.

Lady Killer is a bloody brilliant comic! It’s not the most original premise but Jamie S. Rich and Joelle Jones still pull off a very compelling action thriller period piece. The juxtaposition between domestic bliss and graphic violence works well without seeming jar
Ahmed  Ejaz
It's a fine comic series having bloody murders. It's not for light heart readers though.

A house wife who is a contract killer. One day, she gets a task to kill an orphan kid. She tries it too but can't make herself to kill an orphan kid. Her boss is trying to kill her as she is becoming unworthy. So she, with other two rebels, plans to kill the boss.

I am not gonna read the second volume of this series. #Sorrynotsorry

11 February, 2018
Chad
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic series. I hope we get to see more of Josie in the future. Josie is a 50's stay at home mother with a secret, she's also an assassin for hire. I love the play on the 50's aesthetics. Joelle Jones knocks it out of the park. It's like her art was made just for this book.
Lauren
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read review:

I have forgotten how much I love this GN! I think my original review below captures the spunky essence of Lady Killer, and Josie is seriously STUNNING! I mean she's a beautiful lady and a don't f*ck with me assassin. And her EYES! I mean...wow! *swoons*

The artwork is incredible and richly detailed with some vibrant colours which really makes the story come to life. The whole atmosphere wonderfully juxtaposes Josie's normal home life with her husband and daughters with the sheer b
Gabrielle
More like 4 and a half stars!

This was just what I needed (along with a big glass of pinot noir). Thank you Joe, for bringing it to my attention: I ran over to the comic book store at lunch to get it and just devoured it! I am just crazy for the vintage 50’s look, but I also love a bit of murder-mayhem on the side, and “Lady Killer” gave me both at the same time! AND a heroine who looks just like my favorite Venture Bros. character, the amazing Dr. Girlfriend, to boot!

Josie is a housewife and mot
Richard
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A stylish and hip little story about a 1960's Suzy-homemaker housewife who also works as a cutthroat assassin in her free time. The story isn't particularly memorable though. Beyond the initial cool concept it didn't seem to have the legs to keep me as engaged as I would hope, but Joëlle Jones is one of the best artists in the business and kills it here. Although everyone's blood is black for some reason...

Anywho, changing the subject, I just heard the news that Joëlle Jones is writing and illu
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Josie Schuller is not your ordinary housewife, she is also an efficient killer for hire! But it's not easy having to juggle family and work and having a distrustful mother-in-law. And, things gets even worse when Josie's boss decides that it's time for Josie to retire...for good!

This graphic novel combined humor and action and to top it all, really great art. I found myself quite engrossed in the story, this is like a 60s version of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, without the Mr.

Josie Schuller is a dedicat
Stacey
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first graphic novel. Chelsea Cain wrote the introduction. Cain has crafted the best female serial killer that I have read. I knew this journey into Lady Killer was going to be good with an endorsement like that.

Josie is a doting wife and mother, but she harbors a sinister job on the side. She is an unsuspecting hitman. This is darkly funny and the graphics are well done.

Thank you Melissa Martin for challenging me to read outside of my comfort zone with your fantastic review! x
David Schaafsma
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-crime, gn-horror
I really liked this a lot! Story by Joelle Jones and Jamie Rich, drawn by Jones. Sassy intro by Chelsea Cain. Colors by Laura Aldred.

Retro fifties noir style and story with a housewife hired assassin, Josie, in a pink taffeta dress. Her husband and kids and neighbors and mother in law don't know about her work, though the latter will be the first to know. . . One thread has Josie work in a pussycat cat lounge and dress in a bunny-like (only kitty!!) costume in order to kill some guy (and enterta
Liz Janet
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This is the story of Josie, in the 1960s. Wife, mother, assassin for hire. She likes to choke and stab people. Although it deals with the struggles women faced at the time when balancing work and family in an age that treated them the way it did, it still dealt very well, with what I assume, is the life of an assassin. However, I found little inclination of her love for her husband and children, and same vice-versa, I would have liked to have seen that. The strongest aspect was the beautiful and ...more
Andrew
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrew by: Lauren
This is another example of how many good books you can find here, through friends. Then, thank you Lauren for your recommendation!

Josie is a housewife in the America of the ‘60, with a lovely husband and two beautiful children. A normal American family? Not exactly: Josie is a killer for an unidentified agency, with a supervisor, Peck and a boss, mister Stenholm. Her life is doubly complicated, so we have the efficient killer that lives with the lovely mother and wife.
Josie splits her time betwe
Sesana
Surprisingly entertaining. I requested this from my library on a whim, after passing by requesting it from Netgalley. I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger, so to speak. The entire gimmick of the book is juxtaposing an idyllic view of 1960s housewives with assassins. Yes, it is basically a one trick pony of a book, and Jones has hit that one trick pretty hard by the end of the book. I think I would have liked this better if it had stayed episodic, each issue sending Josie on a different contract ...more
Ilana
Such fun! Girls get to do killing violence and mayhem with style grace and grit. And the artwork and 50s setting is really great. Just what you imagine all those repressed housewives must’ve been daydreaming about as they spent their days endlessly vacuuming and ironing and baking and volunteering and making themselves look good and being submissive and silly and devoid of aspirations of their own other than being a perfect wife and mother while popping Valium just to not want to murder anyone e ...more
Roy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing. A 1950s housewife who has a sidejob as an assassin. Art is amazing as well especially the fight scenes. The story isnt overly original and is a little predictable at times but still a really fun read.
Skye Kilaen
Dark comedy only recommended for those with strong stomachs! Lady Killer is the story of a woman who looks like the perfect early 1960s middle-class housewife, but is secretly a contract killer. As anyone who tries to balance work and family knows, though, there can come a point where you're pressed to choose one or the other. Except in Josie Schuller's case, someone makes a choice for her. I was almost at war with myself while reading this, because the story structure makes you want to sympathi ...more
Cindy Newton
I have very little experience with graphic novels, but this was a lot of fun! The picture-perfect '60's housewife with her handsome husband and two little girls, moonlighting as an assassin. This agent juggles hits between dinner prep and the girls' ballet class. The dialogue is snappy and funny, the artwork vivid and beautiful. I would love to read more of this storyline and hope that it will continue someday since it ended with a definite path for a sequel.
L. McCoy
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of bloody action comics.
Recommended to L. by: Chad
So, this was an interesting read.

What’s it about?
Imagine a nice, sweet 60s housewife. You know, the kind you’d probably see on an old, black and white, family TV show. Yeah, well the main character of this is like that... sometimes. Other times she’s a John Wick-esque assassin. In this story she struggles juggling between the nice housewife/mother and being a brutal assassin.

Pros:
The story is interesting. There is a bit more to it, I just didn’t want to spoil too much.
The art is very well done.
Wendy
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
Dark Horse comics describes Lady Killer as "Betty Draper meets Hannibal!" but that description is a bit off. The book definitely has that Mad Men appeal of early '60s domestic bliss, but Josie Schuller is a bit more into the blood spatter of a serial killer like Dexter, than she is the neat and ordered psychosis of Hannibal. In fact, she isn't a serial killer at all. She's a hired assassin who's very good at getting the job done (albeit it in a very messy and impractical manner, partially becaus ...more
Jacob Proffitt
A mostly by-the-numbers exploration of a woman who is both a homemaker and assassin. Set in 1940 (the San Francisco World's Fair is featured), it has all the chauvinism you could ask for. Which, of course, Josie takes full advantage of as the deadly siren using her targets' baser instincts to lure them to their doom (though to be fair, not all her targets are men and not all are . . . lured). The writing is at least good enough to keep it interesting and the art is pitch perfect to evoke both th ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
Ever wondered how June Cleaver from Leave It To Beaver would be if she was an assassin? Meet Josie - she's the perfect wife, mother, and homemaker, is very polite, can host a marvelous cocktail party, and can kill a person with her bare hands. The results are pretty awesome and darkly comic! I honestly wish there was a little more to this series - I would love to see where Josie goes from here. Plus, those vintage style ads featuring her character are inspired.

Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
This was just as good this time as it was the first time I read it!

This is Mad Men meets Salt. A great 60's housewife as an assassin. Of course I picked this up!

I love the writing! The art is fantastic! It's violent but not overly violent. I don't feel like the female characters are sexualized at all.

The plot is just enough to keep you interested without requiring too much exposition. You get just enough of each player in the game.

The colors are gorgeous! I love Josie as a character and I'm so
Cyndi
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best graphic novels I have read in a long time. The art is outstanding and the story is compelling! The style reminds me of some of the excellent Tales of the Crypt from the 70's. Perfect!
Summer
Beautiful art and with a clear and action packed storyline. Lots of fun but beware of highly graphic violent content.
Marie the Librarian
I liked this a lot, I love the mix of 50’s housewife being a messy serial killer😍
mahana
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
this graphic novel is literally called lady killer but tell me why i was shocked when the lady started killing people

• The Fade Out: Act Two
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2: The Case of the Baby in the Velvet Case
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! #1
  • Bitch Planet, Vol. 2: President Bitch
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
Joëlle Jones is an Eisner nominated artist currently living and working in Los Angeles, CA.

Since attending PNCA in Portland, OR, she has contributed to a wide range of projects and has most recently has worked on Batman for DC comics. She also wrote and drew the series, Lady Killer, published by Dark Horse comics.

Jones has also provided the art for fashion designer Prada, and various projects fo

Lady Killer (Collected Editions) (2 books)
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2