Start by marking “Prejudice & Pride” as Want to Read:
Prejudice & Pride

Prejudice & Pride

You know Darcy: rich, proud, standoffish, disapproving, one of the greatest romantic heroes of all time. But you don't know this Darcy because THIS Darcy is a woman.

In PREJUDICE & PRIDE, Lynn Messina’s modern retelling with a gender-bendy twist, everything is vaguely familiar and yet wholly new. Bingley is here, in the form of Charlotte "Bingley" Bingston, an heiress
Published December 15th 2015 by Potatoworks Press

To ask other readers questions about Prejudice & Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prejudice & Pride

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
The Heiress and The Museum Fundraiser

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Modern-day Retelling, Gender Swap

SETTING: New York City, Present-day

MAIN CHARACTERS:

- John and Bennet Bethle: Two brothers who work in the development department at the Longbourn Collection (a small art museum in Queens)
- Charlotte “Bingley’ Bingston: A socialite heiress who has just rented the penthouse at the illustrious Netherfield hotel
- Darcy Fitzwilliam: Bingley’s wealthy but proud friend
- Mr. Meryton: John and Bennet’s boss w
Sophia
After reading the author's The Girls Guide to Dating Zombies and appreciating her quirky humor, I was eager to see what she would do with Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. Turned it on it's ear, that's what she did. This contemporary, gender-bending mad-cap tale set against the world of a non-profit Venetian Art Museum nestled in Queens, NY was highly entertaining. I think the Austen lover would get a huge kick out of this if they are on the open-minded side, but the romantic comedy lover in ...more
Eva • All Books Considered
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at All Books Considered: 4 STARS

I really enjoyed this retelling -- you all know I read a lot of retellings of Jane Austen, some better than others. I believe this is the first gender reversal retelling I've read and it was really good. The art fundraising/patronage made the perfect modern setting to keep with the canon of P&P and I really, really liked both Bennet and Darcy. All of the secondary characters were spot on, especially Mr. Meryton. I laughed out loud se
Helen
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
****Four and a half stars!

If that's really your definition of a well-rounded man, then I'm no longer surprised you know only six. I'm shocked you know any at all."

Messina cleverly parallels people, plot and circumstances and draws them into the modern world - you will recognise everything if you are a P&P lover. In fact, you will eagerly anticipate to see how certain famous confrontations are handled. This truly is a classic reinvented that I believe will appeal to both old and new readers a
Alice
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En plus d'être une réécriture moderne d'Orgueil et Préjugés, ce livre se propose d'inverser les sexes des protagonistes : Darcy et Bingley sont des femmes riches et séduisantes et les Bennet sont des frères travaillant pour un musée en quête de mécènes. Si je trouve l'idée bonne, elle pousse à s'interroger sur ce que le lecteur va attendre et pour ma part, j'ai tout de suite pensé à une lecture plutôt féministe. La version de Jane Austen, bien que l'argent soit dans les mains des hommes, était d ...more
Mycoton32
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

16/20 - Une réécriture sympathique qui nous donne le sourire :)
Ptiteaurel
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un coup de coeur absolu pour cette réécriture très moderne et pourtant intemporelle d'Orgueils et Préjugés.

Cherchez qui est qui est juste génial et les scènes clés de mon roman préféré de tous les temps sont toutes là. La modernité ne casse pas le mythe et chaque personnage est juste formidablement baigné dans cette version 2.0 .

Chronique complète à venir...
Kwoomac
Clever rewrite of P&P. The author flips the story by switching the male and female roles. So Darcy and Bingley are women, and Jane and Elizabeth become John and Bennet. For some reason, in my million readings of P&P, I never noticed that Wickham's first name was George. So when the author flips the sexes, George becomes Georgia and Georgiana becomes George. I got tripped up any time either was mentioned. Wait, what?

My favorite character was definitely the author's take on Mr Collins, who
Fluff Smut & Murder
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it

Thank you to NetGallery.com and to the publisher for the ARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

In the 25+ years since I was forced to read Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice for 11th grade English class, I have developed a deep, deep disdain (okay - hatred) for most “classics” since I have a hard time placing myself within the story. Since this adaptation is set in today’s world with all of the necessary pop culture references, I was able to devour the story, begin to remember the
Chloé
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this rewriting : original and perfectly written, the 21st century suits Jane Austen and Lynn Messina suits her work as well ❤ ...more
Zee Monodee
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
Sadly, was too slow for me, and the whole 'written in present tense' thing made it very difficult to get lost into the book. Plus all the names being bandied about at the start didn't allow me to connect with the characters, so I found myself more confused than anything while reading this.
Holly Scudero
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: san-francisco-br
Bennet Bethle and two of his brothers, John and Lydon, work at the Longbourn museum, where they solicit donations from wealthy patrons. One day, Charlotte “Bingley” Bingston, a wealthy heiress, moves into the penthouse suite of the Netherfield hotel, and it doesn’t take long for Longbourn to swoop in. Bennet views much of his job through a lense of amusement, but even he can see how quickly Bingley and John become smitten with one another. Less desirable are Bingley’s brothers and her friend, th ...more
Sariah
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
J’aime énormément les récits de Jane Austen et je suis toujours ravie d’en découvrir une adaptation, que ce soit un autre point de vue sur l’histoire, une suite concernant la vie de tel ou tel protagoniste ou que ce soit un récit plus moderne et revisité de l’intrigue. Lynn Messina, nous offre à travers ce récit, une réécriture du classique Orgueil et Préjugés qui se veut plus moderne, plus actuel en intervertissant les rôles des personnages : les hommes deviennent des femmes et inversement.
[...
Lucie Zeale
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

The story hold up to the swaps I am not convinced about lydon/Georgia. But the most off putting thing was the tense it's 3rd party present which makes it sound like a script or plot outline instead of a novel.
Katy Noyes
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it

A unique take on a classic - we've had modern adaptations (Bridget Jones), we've had cultural adaptations (Bride and Prejudice). Now - the genders of Pride and Prejudice iconic characters are changing.

Yes, Darcy is now a rich woman, and Bennett (not Elizabeth) a working man.

My favourite book, I know it back to front, can quote it with ease - not every adaptation gets my seal of approval. So this both intrigued and worried me.

I have given it a good rating though, as you can see. So yes,
Aimee
Review originally appeared at Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2015/...

I love classic literature and it’s cool when people want to put a modern spin on them, especially Austen’s work. Austenland (by Shannon Hale) had me laughing out loud. I adore the movies Clueless and the Bollywood film Bride and Prejudice. So when I got the opportunity to review Lynn Messina’s gender-bending modern version of Pride and Prejudice, I totally went for it.

Lynn has created new, but still related, nam
Marissa
World Building: This novel took place in present day Queens and Manhattan!! I wasn’t completely sure when this story was going to take place but as the story went on, references to modern day advances made it pretty clear that it was in the 21st Century!!
Characters: The main characters in this novel were Bennet Bethle and Darcy Fitzwilliam. As a museum fundraiser, Bennet deals with entitled airhead heiresses on a daily basis and just can’t seem to drum up the same enthusiasm, he used to have for
Jody
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Review first posted on my blog 'A Spoonful of Happy Endings': http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

Brothers Bennet and John Bethle both live in New York City and work at the Longbourn Collection, a relatively small art museum in the city. Their boss Mr. Meryton is always on the look-out for people to help fund the museum, including young and rich socialites who can organise events and help spread the word. So when heiress Charlotte Bingston, known to her friends as Bingley, comes to town, Mr.
Catherine
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Gender bending and updating the setting at the same time is not the easiest thing to pull off, but Lynn Messina did so admirably. The changes to professions fit not only the original characters, but also a modern setting. My only quip was that the dialog seemed very formal for 2010s characters, but works for updated Austen characters.
Geoff
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure where to put this one. It agitated me from the beginning because of its portrayal of fundraising professionals (more on that later), but Messina’s interpretation of Austen’s wit may or may not have made up for that (I’m still trying to determine that for sure).

We all know I love some Jane Austen fan-fiction and I just got a new Wuthering Heights fan-fiction novel so when the publicist* for the novel reached out to me with a copy** of this novel mentioning the upcoming Curtis Sitte
Angel Hatfield
Jul 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
John and Bennett are brothers and work in the developmental department at Longbrown.Meryton was Executive Director of The Longbrown Art Collection. Bennett has worked seven years for Longbrown. Meryton has overseen and safeguarded the art collection for twenty three years. An heiress has rented the penthouse and Meryton wants her to become a benefactor for the collection. The woman’s name that toke the penthouse was Charlotte Bingley. Then John and Bennett have another brother Langley who gets a ...more
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked the story. The updated version of the familiar tale was interesting and well done. My two biggest problems were the dialogue and the pacing.

In some places, the dialogue from the original was kept with slight tweaks. I don't think it fit very well with the new dialogue used in this book. I would have preferred to have all new to fit with the modern tale.

The pacing also bothered me. There were few and brief descriptions of the characters, and in some places the character's actions or wor
Bianca
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Who should read this?

People who are tired of adaptations that are barely creative. This story is set in modern times, but in a very specific circle of society. It also put a great spin on the original by swapping the genders of the main characters. That twist makes this book more exciting than any of the books I’ve seen come out of The Austen Project (which has been a major disappointment thus far).

Cocktail to drink with this:

The Kirtini: a martini made with creme de cassis.

Full review on Drunk
Kim Power
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Ingenious idea that didn't quite work for me

Although other reviews raved and argued that this novel didn't need to depend on the wit of an Austen in its gender bending interpretation, I missed the witty repartee between Elizabeth and Darcy. Nor did Jane's gentleness translate well into John's reticence. Bennet's change of heart is not highly plausible as there hasn't been any real chemistry between him and Darcy. The character of Collin is very clever and his dialogue is entertaining. It felt mo
Samantha
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
2016 Popsugar Reading Challenge: A book that's guaranteed to bring you joy.

I love Pride and Prejudice. I love Jane Austen, books and movies, and I especially love the P&P 'sequels' (aka, published fanfic). That is what drew me to this particular book -- not that it's a sequel to the classic love story, but rather a gender-bending modern-day retelling of the story.

However, it was not one of my favorite 'sequels' but I will remember it because of it's uniqueness. I did not 'bring me joy' as mu
Megan Garvin
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought that this book weeded out some of the more boring parts of the original, was clean in the way it integrated the narrative into the modern day world, and the gender-bending was really refreshing. I will say that the last thirty pages are too much. Too whimsical, too fast, and When Bennett and Darcey are discussing what lead them to together they get really weirdly wordy.
Casey Clementine
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars tbh. I'm going to be kind and say it's not the WORST P+P adaptation I've ever read, but it's also not the best. Maybe it was the perspective it was written in that I didn't like, or maybe it was using Austen's exact language in modern-day New York, but either way I'm glad that I'm done with this novel.
Kathleen Gray
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
definitely worth a read. Even if you are tired of the Austen reworks (which I am), you can read this as an entertaining romantic comedy that never goes too far over the edge. I enjoyed it. Look forward to more from Messina. Thanks to Edeleweiss for the arc.
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Smart, fresh, and witty. An enjoyable reselling of my favorite classic.

I received an ARC from NetGalley! (9/15/15)
Carolyn Sabol
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A decent modern retelling. Characters mostly interesting and the story flowed nicely. Easy read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Pride & Princesses
  • Christmas Cheer (Holidays With Jane #1)
  • Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts #3)
  • The Darcy Monologues
  • Persuading Austen
  • The Persuasion of Miss Jane Austen
  • Mr Darcy’s Guide to Courtship: The Secrets of Seduction from Jane Austen’s Most Eligible Bachelor
  • Emma, Mr. Knightley, and Chili-Slaw Dogs (Jane Austen Takes the South, #2)
  • All My Tomorrows
  • The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet
  • Second Glances: A Tale of Less Pride and Prejudice Continues
  • Writing Jane Austen
  • Highfell Grimoires
  • Jane Austen and the Archangel
  • Jane Austen Goes to Hollywood
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
  • Unleashing Mr. Darcy
  • Emma
Lynn Messina is author of more than a dozen novels, including the best-selling Fashionistas, which has been translated into sixteen languages, and a series of Regency romance novels. Her essays have appeared in Self, American Baby and the New York Times Modern Love column. She lives in New York City with her sons.