Start by marking “The Tao Of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow.” as Want to Read:
The Tao Of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow.

The Tao Of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow.

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The creative process doesn't have to be torturous--with The Tao of Writing, it can be glorious! Invoking the principles of the Tao allows you to do your best work ever. By tapping into the true flow of your creativity, you can discover and develop your true talents and abilities. Author Ralph Wahlstrom uses the connection between teaching, writing, and the tenets of the Ta ...more
Published November 29th 2005 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about The Tao Of Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tao Of Writing

Emma Sea
Loved this so, so much.

"Creation is what we do while we're waiting to die, and if we're lucky, we do it pretty well. . . And, even though we will die just the same, we can choose to stay awake, to create. When we create, we live. . . Creation is both the act and the celebration of this magic, the fleeting mystery that is to be alive. "(p.39)

The book includes 70 writing exercises in an appendix.
Angela Holland
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought this was an interesting book and gave me some good ideas on writing prompts. I also liked how it teaches you to let your writing flow and not stress over it. I will be going back to this book many times.
Leah
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Leah by: myself
Most people hate writing. They see it as a boring tedious task that is avoided as much as possible. Filled with rules and revisions, deadlines and grades, writing has been the demise of students for quite some time. This book, The Tao of Writing: Imagine, Create, Flow, shows us writing is anything but the above mentioned descriptions. By incorporating some basic Tao principles in guiding writing, this book teaches that writing can be enjoyable, therapeutic, and artistic, expressing the very ess ...more
Kendra
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: default
Saleha Malek
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
This book gives me an understanding of writing based on the Tao Te Ching - a Chinese philosophy. It's really basic yet significant, to get anyone who found it hard to write to simply get started and from there you'll actually grow as a writer.
K. Parker
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
One of the main components of Taoism is Wu Wei, to "do without doing" and let actions flow without any effort. Ironically, in my search for books on the craft of writing, I found this book without actively searching for it. I'd never heard of it before, and it actually sounded like something my other writing friend interested in Taoism would love. So, I showed it to her. She read it, and liked it a lot, going so far as to incorporate some of the practices into her daily writing life. So then I t ...more
LK Hunsaker
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was debating between 3.5 and 4 stars and decided to round up because there is some great advice for new writers here. I'm sure some not-new writers can benefit from parts of it, as well, but much of it, they've already figured out. It's a writing instruction book from a writing professor more than from a novelist and that shows. His political orientation shows strongly.

That said, the beginning and end of the book were quite enjoyable and it affirmed my recent thought that I need to move my off
David
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I bought the book some years back, started to read it but couldn't quite get into it, and only restarted reading it a little while ago. Obviously I was not 'ready' initially. As a relative newcomer to writing (on a regular basis) I must admit that I am totally enthralled with this book and has given me plenty to think about!
It has opened my mind up in many ways. The writing exercises at the end of the chapters were challenging and fun! In the back of the book there are 70 writing exercises which
Greg Zafiris
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nonfiction book on writing; I like the tie-in to taoism, and the fact that most people see writing as an awful chore that has to be endured, when really it does not have to be that way (and for me, it isn't). This book is a little heavy on the "peace and quiet and tea" stuff, but in general I get it. My writing would benefit from my remembering to get into a flow and stop analyzing everything to death. Overall, well-written, albeit a bit long for the topic. The stuff near the end about feng sh ...more
Judy Croome
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This will be an excellent book for students, businesspeople and others persons who do not like writing. Includes an interesting combination of Tao wisdom and practical advice on writing with joy. I especially enjoyed the section on Ethical Writing - two nuggets that have stuck with me are "the Taoist writer creates text that does not take from or hurt, but that gives and heals" and "the Taoist writer will use words to enhance harmony and build up rather than to tear down." What beautiful wisdom ...more
Jeff
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas here, and some good exercises at the end of the book, but over all I found the book kind of dull and bland. This is one where you can take what you like and leave the rest. Your mileage may very. I'm sure some readers will gain much more insight from this than I did. Much of the book covered old ground with an eastern Taoist slant. Great if your in tune with that kind of thing.
Amy
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-writing
The author goes through several different aspects of the Tao as it relates to the writer's life. The book held my interest over the two days or so it took to read it, and there were a few points on free-writing that were encouraging. I would have liked to have more practical applications (but that's the Westerner in me, as the author might say), and some of the chapters on feng shui were a little disconnected from the rest of the piece. I would give it a solid 3.5 stars.
Marco Stabile
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ottimo per avviare e, per quanto possibile, controllare il flusso creativo. Tutto ciò che la manualistica dà per scontato, anche se più che un manuale di scrittura questo libro tenta di applicare la dimensione filosofica e spirituale del Tao alla scrittura. Ne esce fuori che scrivere è qualcosa di naturale, a cui spesso siamo noi stessi, per mille ragioni e per come abbiamo appreso a farlo, a porre un freno.
Nadine Truong
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A quick, easy read, but it's up to you to take the little chapters as meditations and let them simmer in your subconscious. It helped recalibrate my creativity. I found this book to be the most soothing, if I read it either first thing in the morning or right before going to bed.
Lynn
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Still working on this, using it as a writing exercise book, so I'm enjoying my somewhat leisurely pace. My goal is to finish it before my writing class on July 1. Being my first toe into the waters of Taoism, my next goal will be to read The Tao of Pooh, that I took from Linda's bookshelf.
ralph
Apr 11, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: Writers, would-be writers, philosophers, people
I actually wrote this book and, amazingly, I still like it. Other readers tell me it's worth their while. I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't believe in it.

Judithosc
This is my go-to book when I am hit a writer's block. It always gets me back on track.
Philip
Feb 17, 2010 is currently reading it
Wonderful book to read, take advice and encouragement from and then apply to my own attempts at writing
Sharon
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Found it at Powell's. Writing is about connecting with your Self. Highly reccomend it.
Kynthia
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Any writing book that makes me write more is a great book. Wahlstrom shows you how to write effortlessly.
Dawn
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to, nonfiction
I'm still doing the writing exercises at the end, but I'm basically finished.

It's kind of "woo-woo," but it has encouraged me to at least get back to putting words down.
Penelope
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Okay, but didn't really motivate me.
Michael Scott
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
On my second read of this book. Impeccable timing for it as I engage in my second tour as a urban/economic development writer.
Oluehi Joshua
Aug 21, 2016
Bob
Feb 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Robert's Rules of Writing
  • Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer
  • 101 Habits of Highly Successful Novelists: Insider Secrets from Top Writers
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • Description & Setting
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • Writers Book of Matches: 1,001 Prompts to Ignite Your Fiction
  • The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • Gotham Writers' Workshop: Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide From New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School

Nonfiction Deals

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Arctic Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Jack and Rochelle: A Holocaust Story of Love and Resistance
  • Catch Me If You Can
    $10.99 $1.99
“Practicality requires that we stop somewhere in the process, but nothing actually says we can't keep on writing and revising. In fact, most writers continue to develop ideas and themes from one book to the next in what is essentially a lifelong evolution and revision.” 0 likes