Start by marking “In Sheep's Clothing (Matthew Richter, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Sheep's Clothing (Matthew Richter, #1)

Read Book

In Sheep's Clothing

(Matthew Richter #1)

One man holds the reins of power.
One man vows to protect him.
One man vows to destroy him.

Caught in a game of chess he didn’t know he was playing until it was too late, the President makes the only move he can, plunging Washington and the nation into chaos. Stunned and reeling, Vice President David Kendall takes the oath of office and tries to heal a nation in mourning.
Paperback, 1, 428 pages
Published September 1st 2015 by Old Stone Mill Publishing

To ask other readers questions about In Sheep's Clothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Sheep's Clothing

Coco.V
FREE on Amazon today (10/17/2017)!
Jim A
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good novel for a political thriller. The sitting president commits suicide while being blackmailed by an ambitious rival. (Not a spoiler, in prologue). The secret service agent, Richter, is fighting his own demons as it happened on his shift. The now president brings the blackmailer and his schemes into the White House as the new VP.

Very well researched and plotted out. Those who enjoy this type thriller will appreciate the author's work with this one.
Joyce
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading! Fans of Vince Flynn will love it!

This was a remarkably well written political thriller. We learn who the villain is in the Prologue and get to see the story unfold in the subsequent chapters. It’s about the lust for power and the unscrupulous means some will go through to achieve it. It is also about a Secret Service Agent who does everything in his power to protect the President including parachuting out of a mortally wounded Air Force One with him, protecting him in survival mod
John Bohnert
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was totally engrossed in this fascinating political thriller. I'm very glad that I discovered this author. I plan to read AN EYE FOR AN EYE soon.
Charles Ray
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When President Thomas Walters killed himself, Vice President David Kendall is installed as President. He quickly learns that not everything in the White House, or in Washington, is what it seems, and that the very thing that drove Walters to suicide could also threaten his life.
Secret Service Agent Matthew Richter was the closest agent to Walters, but still not close enough to stop him, and that still haunts him even as he vows to protect the new President.
Both men find themselves running for th
Argum
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads.

Great story and plotting. Lots of narrator and scene shifts kept reader a bit off balance but heightened tension in some places. Some loose ends keep me from making it a five star.

The book opens with the President skeet shooting pondering his blackmail problem at the hands of a sitting Senator. Before anyone knows what is happening he turns the gun on himself. The agent standing next to him is our main character and for part of the book he i
Akeating2003
3.5 I like political thrillers and this one had a good plot line. It reminded me of the current tv show Designated Survivor. I would have made this 4 stars except I felt like there were too many characters introduced in the first part of the book and it was a little distracting. I would read the next in this series.
Jeremy G.
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent and fast-paced political thriller, introducing a new character to our realm of intrigue.
Katherine
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Political thrillers are not really my preferred genre. I would rather read Literary fiction full of clever metaphors and symbolism that lets me wrestle with deeper layers of meaning, and unique social commentary. In comparison, political thrillers are stylistically simple; their complexity lies in the twists and turns of their plot, and the strategies and mental acrobatics necessary for the protagonists to overcome their rivals’ schemes. With that in mind, I approached In Sheep’s Clothing from a ...more
Denise
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
The president's suicide has catapulted David Kendall into the top job without warning. Just as he's slowly getting the hang of being in charge of the whole country, someone close to him has decided to remove him by force, going to extreme lengths to get the job done. Secret Service agent Matthew Richter has already lost one president - and he'll do whatever it takes to make sure he won't lose another.

Fastpaced action that kept me hooked - looking forward to the next book.
Benjamin Roosevelt
It has been a long time since I have read a mystery that was both riveting and that made me truly uncomfortable......this one did. Most mysteries are too far removed from our normal lives to leave much of an impact after finishing. In Sheep's Clothing was close enough to possible, and to our lives to make me think hard about a very uncomfortable subject....The research behind producing this book must have taken years. Either that or L.D. Beyer is far more gifted that just about any other mystery ...more
Charlene
Secret Service agent guarding President on Air Force One flying through bad storm. Explosion occurs. Who are the bad guys? Who survives? Who's still missing?

I liked this story and might try to find its sequel. Kindle freebie or good deal when I downloaded it. The author writes well, a plus for any book!
Ed
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mathew Richter, a particularly resourceful Secret Service Agent struggles to protect the President from an ingenious assassination conspiracy in this fast moving survival story that will keep you furiously turning the pages. Very highly recommended.
Phyllis Rile
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Well Written/Very Well Read

I could hardly put the book the down to go to bed. The story makes the reader wonder if such a thing could actually happen some day. Strongly recommend the book be read.
Scott Lynn
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this book, so i picked it up on Amazon. If this is a first book, all I can say is that I'm looking forward to the next one! I'm usually a little slow to get engaged with a book, but 10 or 15 pages in and I found myself staying up way too late at night. More Matthew Richter!
Jeff Dawson
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
It’s not a bad thriller, but it isn’t great.

The first part of the book set the stage for Agent Richter and his internal struggles of being on the President’s Protective Detail. His struggle surfaces after President Walters blows his brains out during routine skeet shoot. No matter how many times Richter plays it through his and mind and the encouragement from colleagues, he can’t accept that he could not have prevented it. What he doesn’t know, is why Walters did it.

As a reader, we don’t have t
Barb
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love reading an action-packed political thriller and I found it in “In Sheep’s Clothing”. L.D. Beyer has written a page-turning, fast-paced novel that will have you speculating and wondering throughout. The story opens with the President of the United States committing suicide while skeet-shooting with a number of Secret Service agents. It seems that someone has blackmailed him not to seek re-election. He obviously saw no way out of his dilemma. Matthew Richter is one of the President’s agents ...more
Kaamil
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly well-written novel

In the author's note, Beyer makes it clear that this book took approximately 20 years to write. He was able to write a small portion of it many years ago, but was only able to truly focus on it recently.

While all the details mentioned are phenomenally accurate, specifically regarding the presidency, the time span is certainly evident. The first half of the book has been beautifully worded, but the plot is exceptionally slow and dare I say it-- boring. A reader can detec
Marcus
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was/is a very intense, high action political thriller that has the reader thinking, "Holy shit, what if"? The plot of the story is what if a sitting president's, vice president decides that he wants the top slot. This means taking out the president and everybody in the way. This especially includes one Secret Service agent who is dead set on the president not dying. This is where the story takes off because every s
Wendy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Boy - I liked this book. It had conspiracy, action, a couple of good guys (newly installed President Kendall and Secret Service agent Matthew Richter), political intrigue, and much more!

When the President commits suicide while skeet shooting, the country is thrown for a loop. New Pres. Kendall jumps in and tries to take the reins of the country; agent Richter is his primary body guard (who is suffering guilt that he couldn't stop the suicide). Naturally, Kendall leans heavily on the advice of th
Bernie Gale
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, at last, a good thriller
It was clearly extensively researched and this was confirmed by the author's comments at the end.

The author has an interesting style which I was not sure about but found I quite liked he gives away whats going to happen in places and then leads you through the events. This allows him to slow the pace but still keeping the pressure f the story going.

His character development is good and produces some very believable characters unlike many of this style where there is
Srikkanth G
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing special

If you are picking this book expecting a pot boiler political thriller, then you will be disappointed.

Mr Kendell becomes the President of USA after the unfortunate death of current President.

People within close circles don't like Mr Kendell. Assassination attempt and the chase. That's it.

There is no political backstabbing, criss crossing or hair splitting stuff.

Even the action is unbelievable. The action writing is flimsy and there are too many loop holes in them.

Character develo
Susan
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was okay. The first half of the book felt rather unpolished. The dialogue didn't feel real and character development wasn't smoothly done. It was more that background information on various characters was dumped all at once. Several of the characters felt one dimensional - pure evil or perfect angel. Things improved as the book progressed. The escape from the assassination plot was a bit far-fetched, but not impossible to believe. The run across country was well done. The resolution fo ...more
Farhan
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
In more capable hands, the idea behind this novel could have turned into an exciting read: the Vice President orchestrates an assassination attempt on the life of the President. After a bomb explodes, Air Force One crashes in the Idaho wilderness, but not before one Secret Service Agent saves the President and himself and parachutes to the ground.

Amateurish writing, wooden dialogs, unrealistic plot twists turned reading this book a chore.

Mekerei
I really enjoy "Designated Survivor" and was hoping that this lived up to the burb.

It was an ok read, but not believable. It didn't go in a direction I was expecting, but enough that I finished this tale. Some things were in the Mission Imposible league - perhaps they would cast Tom Cruise in this movie if its made.

I was in hospital recovering; definitely a light read for when you need to do something, but can't handle anything too taxing.

Three stars.
Lorraine Meissner
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great political thriller

There were parts of the book that were great and others that I thought were drawn out a little to long, ergo the four stars. Agent Richter was an interesting character and I look forward to more books with him in it. Toward the end the cast of characters could have been described a little better as I was getting lost with who was who. All in all, a good book but a little implausible.
Eva M Zoeller
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The plot kept my interest the entire way through the story. I thought the characters could have been a little better developed but you still got a sense of who they were. The ending could have been more developed by identifying who all the players were that were involved in the plot. Left me hanging. But overall a great story!
michael frye
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well worth buying a

I purchased this book based on the review written by other and they were. I was tired of mysteries that are so similar and the same old boy meets girl, one of them has a problem that they solve together.
This book was advertised as a thriller keeps that promise ok

Patrick Shelly Jr
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, e-books
Great book, with plenty of twists and turns!

This was a great read. Plenty of curve balls thrown at the reader, and enough surprises to please even the most casual person. I was very pleased with the quality of the story, and the character development.

I look forward to reading the second book in the series.
Liz Etnyre
Really good thriller! You know 'who dun it' pretty much right away - but how they 'dun it' and who they 'dun it' with still makes for a good tale. Despite a large number of details and a large cast of characters, it moves right along, I would even say a real page-turner. Some of the characters you even like! Definitely recommend. 4.5 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Target: Prendergast Uncovered
  • Death By Ice Cream (Pismawallops PTA #1)
  • Breath to Breath
  • Viscount of Vice (Covent Garden Cubs, #0.5)
  • Deceptive Cadence (The Conor McBride Series, Book 1)
  • Dangerous Connections (Blackthorne, Inc., #5)
  • Serving Pride (Pride, #0.5)
  • Evil Rises (Noah Reid, #0.5)
  • No Way Out
  • Shadow (Blue-Link, #1)
  • Miriam's Secret (Land of Promise, #1)
  • Tea and Primroses (Legley Bay, #2)
  • The Replacement
  • The Fall of Arcadia (Arcadian Wars, #0.5)
  • November Echo (Aleksandr Talanov Thriller #3)
  • The Full Moon (Under the Moon, #1)
  • Fallen Angel (A Raines & Shaw Thriller #1)
  • The Last Day (Edge of Survival, #1)
L.D. Beyer is a reformed corporate drone who, after twenty-five years of missed family events, one day rose up and reclaimed his soul. Before he escaped, his career primarily involved relocating his family every few years—so much so that his children began to secretly suspect that he was really in the Witness Protection Program. He has yet to set the record straight.

L.D. Beyer is the author of thr

Matthew Richter (2 books)
  • An Eye For An Eye (Matthew Richter, #2)
“sun had just cleared the tree line but wasn’t yet strong enough to burn away the fog seeping out of the woods. Although the air was chilly, the president and his entourage of agents didn’t seem” 1 likes
“Facebook” 0 likes