Start by marking “Demon Road (Demon Road, #1)” as Want to Read:
Demon Road (Demon Road, #1)

Demon Road

(Demon Road #1)

Killer cars, vampires, undead serial killers: they’re all here. And the demons? Well, that’s where Amber comes in...

Sixteen years old, smart and spirited, she’s just a normal American teenager until the lies are torn away and the demons reveal themselves.

Forced to go on the run, she hurtles from one threat to another, revealing a tapestry of terror
Published August 27th 2015 by Harper Collins (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Demon Road, please sign up.
Ysabel Mystic Well, the cover just came out a couple days ago. http://dereklandy.blogspot.com

AAAAAUUUGGGHHHHHHHH IM SO EXCITED.

And yeah, I feel you on Skulduggery Pleasant.…more
Well, the cover just came out a couple days ago. http://dereklandy.blogspot.com

AAAAAUUUGGGHHHHHHHH IM SO EXCITED.

And yeah, I feel you on Skulduggery Pleasant. I think I spent a good week just being sad and depressed about character deaths, and the fact that it was officially over. It took me a few months to properly enjoy another book (so, lots and lots of one and two stars) so I've probably read this series twice since it finished. Actually, since I found it in October of 2013, I've reread it more times than I can remember. I know passages by heart. Oh my gosh it hurt when it ended. I still miss it and wish it would continue, or that Derek could write spin-offs or something. )':

Hopefully this series will be almost as amazing as Skulduggery (because it can never be beat). As much as I also adore Harry Potter (2nd fave) and Bartimaeus (3rd), I'm actually hoping Demon road will be so awesome it takes second place. (less)
Pato I was eleven when I read the series, and like your daughter I loved SP and eventually DR. It is more slightly mature than SP in all of the above…moreI was eleven when I read the series, and like your daughter I loved SP and eventually DR. It is more slightly mature than SP in all of the above categories, and sequels more so. A twelve year old should be fine , if they have no probs with skulduggery. It all depends on the individual although, I was very mature for my age. Hope you enjoy as it is a fabulous book! (less)

Start your review of Demon Road (Demon Road, #1)
C.G. Drews
Okay, so, um, WOW. HOW DO I TALK ABOUT THIS INCREDIBLE BOOK?!! I love Derek Landy, I totally do (although I admit to being a wimp and haven't finished the last 3 Skulduggery Pleasant books because paaaaain) and eeeverything Derek Lankyish that I wanted was HERE. Like a) snortingly good humour, b) no emphasis on romance, c) blood everywhere, d) uniqueness, and e) heavy dialogue, oh oh oh and f) fast moving wickedly captivating action scenes. Like this dude can BASICALLY DO NO WRONG. Plus I'm a huge fan of the ...more
Jasmine
OFFICAL Final Cover Reveal (07/21/2015):
description

... Okay. I can deal with this now. I no longer want to gorge my eyes out, and that's a good improvement. Would I consider it a great cover? Hell to the no. But I do consider it a fine cover.

Final Cover Reveal (07/14/2015):
description

This is not an improvement. Not at all. In fact you made it worse. Dear Jesus that must be a new skill -- to turn something shitty into something even shittier. Me no gusta.

Cover Reveal (07/05/2015):
description

That is... one heck of an fugly cover. Derek, what happened? I oogled and d(07/05/2015):
(07/14/2015):
cover.
Final(07/21/2015):
April (Aprilius Maximus)
*3.5 STARS*
Melissa
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
>> Originally posted on my blog: http://wp.me/p6MeJe-ka

*ARC received from Sterling Books.

This book was AWESOME. It’s my first book of Derek and it will not be the last.

I cannot remember reading a book and having so much fun. Do you know the CW’s show Supernatural? Well, this book is just like the show. It’s funny, adventurous, slightly creepy and addictive. In the first few seasons of Supernatural, whenever an episode started, there’s this creepy moment and then boom! A spray of blood and the title card. Demon Road star
Kribu
Actual rating: somewhere around 3.5-3.75 stars, rounded up because I did enjoy it, overall. Most of it.

I'd probably give four stars to the first three quarters of it, and .. 2.5 to the last bit, or something like that, but I'm very sure there are people who will love the final bits, so there's that.

Anyway. I should say right away that - as anyone who knows me even a little bit will probably be aware of - I'm a huge fan of Skulduggery Pleasant. This is both a good thing and a bad thing when it co
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
I'm so conflicted about this book. On one hand, Amber really pissed me off with how naive she was during the book, but she somehow redeemed herself (too little, too late?). Combined with the most annoying character I've ever met, Glen with his constant blabbering and lack of self preservation, it was just such an annoying read.

On the other hand, there were really cool parts though, like all the supernatural occurrences and creatures that they needed to avoid. Lots of blood and gore a
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
“How easily the hunter can become the prey. All it takes is a new perspective.”

I'll be completely honest, I picked up this book simply because the cover intrigued me. Then I realized it was the author of Skulduggery Pleasant, a book I picked up in high school; I never finished the series, because I didn't realize it was a series at the time and picked up the third book not knowing what the hell was going on. In saying that, I've known many people who read and liked the series, so I couldn'
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
I appreciate how this is a good book for it's age range and genre, but it wasn't really my thing!
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Demon Road is without a doubt, one of the most entertaining releases in young adult this year. Following the storyline of sixteen year old, average teen Amber, her life previously lacking friends and relied on her online presence to socialise with her peers. Her parents barely acknowledge her existence, but rather are too consumed by their group of hipster friends who are not above mocking Amber purely for their own amusement. But their cruel intentions run much deeper than hurt feelings and
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this novel through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Mixed feelings here, as some things I definitely liked, and some others rather bored me.

(For the record: I have never read anything else by Derek Landy, so I cannot compare with his Skullduggery Pleasant series. I guess it's for the best, as I can judge this book as standing on its own, then.)

There's a fair share of good ideas in this novel. The strange bodyguard with an even stranger car that
Figgy
Actual rating 3.5

Amber’s having a hell of a time lately. She’s having troubles at school, getting in fights with people who used to be her friends, her parents are acting more weird than usual, and now they want to kill her.
Betty met her glare with one of her own. “This is your one chance. The only chance you’ll get. If you walk away, we’ll come after you, and I personally will eat your heart, young lady.”
Amber backed out of the door. “Love you, too,” she said, and ran.

So now she’s on/>Betty
Paul
Closer to a 4 and a half.
This one pleasantly suprised me. Much more grown up than the Skullduggery Pleasant books, Landy manages to move very well into the YA / adult style.
No romance at all in YA fantasy Major bonus points for the author .
Really good story and idea , and gets you in its grip quite early on.
It gets quite nasty, and holds little back in a plot fueled by demons and serial killers , some of these being the "goodguys" in this story .
It got a tiny bit bogged
Nikki
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
DEREK LANDY IS BAE. But for realsies, this is awesome. I love Amber. I love that she isn't like Katniss or Tris or anything other than a freaked out overweight teenager who doesn't always get it right. I love her character development throughout the book. Also Glen. Glen is good value.
Amanda
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Thank you to HarperCollins UK, Children's & Derek Landy for my copy in exchange for an honest review.

Holy hell mother of all demons!! WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! This book is amazing I couldn't put it down.

This is the first time I have ever read any Derek Landy's books and boy am I glad I got the chance to read this one! It's full of action, nail-biting moments with some pretty weird friendships that I totally love. I always love a little romance in books but this had so much going on that it didn't ne
Ella
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THINGS THAT WERE FANTASTICALLY BRILLIANT AND THEREFORE I LIKED VERY MUCH

+ Amber! Amber wasn't perfect, she could be annoying, make stupid decisions and be as exasperating as a lid of a jar that just. Won't. Come OFF., but I think that's why I liked her so much! She was also brave, compassionate, smart and made an awesome demon! ;)

+ Other characters! NONE of these characters were boring although *cough* they reminded me slightly of the Skulduggery Pleasant at times...not that I minded at all though! ;)

+ That ending!! OMG THAT ENDI;)
+;)
+MUCH
Moonie
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
WE'RE ON A HIGHWAY TO HELL.

Oh my god, I'm still amazed I actually read this book. I half expect to wake up any moment and find out it was some weird fever dream. Thanks to some wonderful Harpercollins employees, the RADDEST FRIEND EVER (Kribu, you are a gift from god), and a lot of nagging on my part, I managed to get my hands on this book 3 weeks in advance.

I spent the entire day reading in a fervent daze and can not wait until this book is released for the rest of the w
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
supernatural animated GIF
My excitement at receiving this book!

Derek Landy is an author that I have heard so many good things about - 90% of those were probably from Amanda - and he's an author whose books I have wanted to try for quite some time. Demon Road instantly appealed to me, not only because it sounded awesome but also because it reminded me quite a bit of Supernatural, which just happens to be one of my favourite TV shows. When I received a signed ARC of this book, I squealed with excitement because this was a book I wan
Emily Mead
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
WHO KNEW I COULD LIKE PARANORMAL? NOT ME.

Although, let's be honest, Glen was one of my favourite parts of this book.

But I loved how this was PACKED with awesome stuff - demons and vampires and witches and cool things. Full review to come!

_______________________________________

WHO would have thought that I could ever enjoy a paranormal?

Not me, that’s for sure.

BUT I ended up really enjoying this book. Despite the fact that it’s wildly different fro
Grüffeline
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We're all monsters. Metaphorically, I mean. The whole human race. We hate, we kill, we do terrible things to each other and to the planet.

I love this book and I'm so glad that I took the time to reread it.
The whole setting (supernatural quest, a classic car, road trip all over America, motels, monsters in every corner) reminds me of Supernatural, my favorite tv show ever. The writing is typical Landy, dark, sarcastic, lots of magic. It all reminds me a little of his Skulduggery Pleasant series witho
Ivy
I love Derek Landy, I love him so much. I really do, although I have to admit that I've only read the first two Skulduggery books so far. As soon as I heard that his new book was coming out just in time for Halloween I knew I had to get it. Well, so here it is. It took me only like four days or so to read it because this book is pure awesomeness.

Demon Road is without a doubt one of the most entertaining releases this year and one of the best books I've read so far in 2015.

Jamie-Lee Turner
I received a fantastic signed proof of this from the ever lovely publishers at Harper Collins!

Absolutely phenomenal.

A belter of a book filled with demons, gore, heart pumping action and endless humour and sarcasm.

Demon Road is exactly what you'd expect from Derek Landy and then some!

Amber, Milo and Glen are the new dream team that everyone wants a piece of...literally.

A rip roaring ride across the blackroads of America filled with monsters a
Georgina Howlett
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I have some very mixed feelings about this book, but only because of one key issue: I've read Skulduggery Pleasant first.

My overall opinion is that it is an action-packed, thrilling, supernatural adventure, and a book that I would highly recommend to everyone who loves a bit of horror, gore, fighting and general supernatural content. It's never predictable, never dull, and there are so many great twists and turns in it. The characters are likeable and individual, and easily carry readers on the
Allyce Cameron
The whole time I was reading this book I was thinking to myself, why aren't I enjoying this more? Our heroine, Amber, is pretty awesome. It's definitely action-packed and full of descriptive and gruesome scenes of blood and guts (which I enjoyed- mostly, some of it got REALLY intense). There is a fantastic vein of humour running throughout and I was actually laughing for a good bit of it.

I think what was holding me back from enjoying it more was that it didn't seem to have much depth to it. I l
Rebecca
Actual Rating: 3.5

Review to come closer to release date.
Petra
Well, this was freaking fantastic. So creepy, and so funny. I absolutely loved it!
Wren

This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogs...

Amber's parents are a little weird, and she isn't very close with them. One night, she discovers why: they're demons, and they are going to, quite literally, eat her. They made a deal with a demon years ago, and part of the deal includes blood tributes, which involves slaughtering their young. Amber barely escapes.

Her life has changed forever. Amber can now shift into demon form, she's on the road with a man s
K.S. Marsden
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Amber discovers the demonic side of life when she turns 16, and suddenly she's on the run from the parents who want to eat her. Picking up strange companions along the way, only a road trip down Demon Road will save her life or her soul.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley.
This was so much fun.

Amber has wondered her whole life why her perfect parents feel so distant, and her perfect life feels so detached. Instead of it being regular teenage issues, it term
Katy Noyes
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant series was a fantastically dark read for primary students. Here he moves up to the teenage market, keeps the dark humour and tone and seamlessly adapts his writing to an older market.

With one of the most startling and exciting opening chapters, the scene is set for a new fantasy series that brings in almost all the main mythological creatures you know - demons and vampires for starters.

Amber has always felt her parents wer
alex
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
WOW. HOLLY CRAP. I haven't loved a book that much since I read Winter back in December/January. Seriously, this was amazing.

In Demon Road we follow Amber, a sixteen-years-old girl. Amber is a normal teenager untill she finds out she's a demon and that so are her parents. She is forced to run away from them because they want to kill her.
The characters are incredible. Amber is amazing. She's strong as hell and she can kick your ass without you having a chance to fight back. I loved her as the main character.
Margaret Madden
Review from Mia, aged 12
This book is about a sixteen year old girl named Amber. She lives a normal life, in a normal house, with a normal job and normal parents. At least, she thinks her parents are normal. When two rude guys attack her, it changes her life forever.

She becomes a red-skinned, horned demon and then figures out her parents and their friends demons too. And, they are out to kill her.

When Amber is sent off with a complete stranger on a drive around Ameri

• Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • Vowed (The Blackhart Legacy, #2)
  • Angel Dust
  • The Rising (Department 19, #2)
  • Mister Creecher
  • Schicksalsbringer (Ich bin deine Bestimmung, #1)
  • Rosen und Seifenblasen (Verliebt in Serie, #1)
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • The Cobalt Prince (5 Worlds, #2)
  • Tribute
  • Descendants of Darkness, Volume 4
  • Shadow of the Hawk (Wereworld, #3)
  • Thin Air (Thin Air Saga, #1)
  • Dead Girls Don't
  • Someone New (Someone New, #1)
  • Wolf Blood
  • Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric and Arcane
Derek Landy is an Irish writer and screenwriter. In addition to the bestselling children's/YA series of Skulduggery Pleasant books, a supernatural mystery series starring Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton detective, and Valkyrie Cain, a young female magician, he has written two screenplays that have been made into films: the IFTA award winning "Dead Bodies" and the IFTA nominated "Boy Eats Girl". Landy him ...more

Demon Road (3 books)
  • Desolation (Demon Road, #2)
  • American Monsters (Demon Road, #3)
“If you can’t stand to be alone with your thoughts, maybe there’s something wrong with your thoughts.” 18 likes
“how easily the hunter can become the prey. All it takes is a new perspective.” 6 likes