Start by marking “Greythorne” as Want to Read:
Greythorne

Greythorne

How did Lucy Greythorne die?

Published October 8th 2015 by Momentum Books

To ask other readers questions about Greythorne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greythorne

Fictionophile
I perused my TBR for something that would fill be seasonal wish for a title gothic or spooky in tone. "Greythorne" was the result of my search. I requested it from NetGalley quite a while ago, for just such an occasion.

It reminded me greatly of one of my favorite novels, "Jane Eyre", in that it was set in roughly the same time period and featured a governess sent to a gothic mansion to tutor a little girl. Only this time the house was situated on an island which was isolated, windswept, and wild
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ever since Charlotte Brontë penned Jane Eyre, novels have featured inexperienced governesses in creepy isolated mansions encountering unspeakable things that go bump in the night. Greythorne, a debut book by Australian L.M. Merrington, continues that proud tradition.

Orphaned Nell Featherstone, fresh from the Brookvale Girls Home, assumes her first posting as a governess at Greythorne Manor, a crumbling stone mansion — complete with tower, a taciturn and mysterious underling, and an unsavory repu
Pamela
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars - Simply put...I liked this. I first saw the cover and decided I wanted to read it.

For me, this was a classic gothic tale, very atmospheric with smooth prose. I didn't realize that it was a first book for the author until I finished it and was reading the credits, kudos to Ms. Merrington.

Although it is a short story, and I did figure out most of it, I was still hit with a couple of surprises. I think most would be. I will certainly be looking for more by this author in the future.

**Tha
Nenatie
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, mystery, ghosts
Ein gelungenes Debüt und sehr empfehlenswert für Leser von klassischen Schauergeschichten!
Rezi folgt!
Cheryl
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this atmospheric novella Gothic tale about a governess employed by a Professor to teach his young daughter. This is a completely new author to me and I love finding Australian Indie authors to read.

The setting was haunting with the huge Manor located on a rocky isle that can only be reached by boat, and Nell, having been employed for her first job, is unsure of what to make of the local villager's gossip.
While part of the ending was easy to see the final shocks were not, with th
Louise
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. The writing style made it a pleasure to read.
I found myself a few times thinking I knew what was happening next,I mean we've all read stories about orphans who go to become a governess for a enigmatic widow, and tame his unruly child.
Add to that the setting, the place nobody ever goes, which cannot be accessed easily... all very atmospheric.
When the twists and turns came, they kept me reading right up to the last page, as quick as I could.
There were some surprises I didn't
Carlissa
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carlissa by: Fictionophile
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2017
Jane Eyre meets Frankenstein, perfect read for the upcoming Halloween time.
Juliet Valcourt
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A very diverting gothic mystery that kept me turning the pages. I enjoyed the atmospheric setting and the surprise twist. I wish it would have been a little longer though.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

Despite the overused plot of a governess stuck in a haunted house, I did enjoy this book. I love gothic ficton, and “Greythorne” is an excellent addition to the genre. I saw most of the twists coming, but that didn’t take away from the plot, or how much I enjoyed the book.
Vanessa
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A gothic novel that feels a little derivative and constructed.
Connie Fischer
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nell Featherstone, age 18, grew up in Brookvale Girls Home after her parents passed away leaving her with no living family. Now, she has accepted a position as Governess to eight-year-old, Sophie, daughter of Professor Nathaniel Greythorne of Greythorne Manor. Sophie’s mother, Lucy, passed away five years ago. When Nell arrives in the town of Grimly, she finds it filled with kind people who all warn and advise her to not continue on to Greythorne Manor for it is a bleak place rumored to have ver ...more
Irene
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.
A governess, a young child, and a spooky house on an island. What secrets lie in this house, what is Sophie's father up to in the dead of the night and what really happened to his wife Lucy? A fantastic cover which really draws the reader in and if I came across it in a bookshop would certainly pick it up for a closer look. The description of the island and how difficult it is to reach it are very vivid and easy to imagine. I like Gothic tales and this fitted the bill nice
Wendy
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This being October, I found myself looking for something dark and spooky to read in honor of one of my favorite holidays, Halloween. I received Greythorne for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, and it turned out to be the perfect read.

The story begins as most gothic Victorian-era tales do: Governess arrives at creepy manor home after being warned not to go, weird circumstances ensue and governess must figure out what's truly going on.

Greythorne's governess is Nell Featherstone
Sarahkmartinuk
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from Netgalley in response for an honest review. Here is the blurb:

From the moment Nell Featherstone arrives at Greythorne Manor as a governess to eight-year-old Sophie, she finds herself haunted by the fate of the mistress of the house, and entranced by the child's father, the enigmatic Professor Nathaniel Greythorne. When a violent storm reveals Lucy's body is not in her grave, Nell becomes suspicious about the Professor's research. But what she discovers in his laborato
Crittermom
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Greythorne is a classic gothic tale with a surprising twist.

Nell Featherstone is an educated young woman, but without means. She jumps at the opportunity to work at Greystone Manor as governess. At her arrival, the village folk warn her of the strange and sinister goings on at the manor. Since the death of its mistress, Greythorne Manor has been a cold and empty place. Accessible only by boat, its only residents are the mercurial and enigmatic Professor Greythorne, his daughter Sophie, and his
Ionia
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of all--great cover!

This book is written in a traditional, creepy, Gothic style that I have always enjoyed. The author did a good job of setting a remote location where one expects something frightening to happen from the very beginning. I actually thought it had a slight Frankenstein feel to it, and I liked that.

The characters were mysterious and made you want to know more about them, especially the jack-of-all-trades man that worked for the owner of Greythorne.

I turned pages quickly i
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book from NetGalley and Momentum Books in exchange for an honest review.

I was torn between giving this 2 or 3 stars. I am very surprised by the 4 and 5 star ratings this book is getting, as I do not give such high ratings so readily.

I was immediately intrigued by the cover, and then when I read the synopsis, it seemed like it was something right up my alley. However, I felt that the story seemed to move along at a very slow pace, despite it being such a short book. There was so m
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a short book in the classic Gothic horror style. I very much enjoyed the suspense and buildup of tension throughout the story - I couldn't put it down!

I thought the characterisation was mostly well planned out, although the transition from Sophie as a recalcitrant, sullen child to a mild mannered, beautiful prodigy needed work. Additionally, the beginning needed to occurr with a bit more speed and the ending needed to be extended out. It felt rather squashed in, and given how important
A.M. Johnson
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I asked to review this book from Net Galley, because of the cover to start with, I just fell for the cover, so intriguing.
The book was not disappointing, I thoroughly enjoyed.
I fell for Nell, I cannot imagine being in her position.
I read this in a sitting simply because I wanted to know what was going on, I thought I had worked it out too, was close but not quite.
lol
I will be looking for more from this author.
I would highly recommend this to everyone who wants a solidly, good read.
Would have be
Jackie
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
L.M. Merrington’s Greythorn will remind you of Bram Stoker’s Dracula as Nell makes the frightening journey to an isolated castle where a job awaits her. Despite the townspeople’s vague warnings about strange goings on, she sees the journey to the end but soon regrets it. You’ll find many other parallels between the two stories, but instead of finding vampires as the story progresses, you’ll find something perhaps a little more frightening. A shocking twist at the end of the book makes this spook ...more
Buttonholed
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading a debut in the genre you enjoy? They are a slice of life's pleasures when they grab you and demand your sigh of contentment when you finish your read.

Greythorne will do this to you.

L. M. Merrington's writing is such a comfortable read, the tension she brings you while your reading is supreme.

Highly recommended for horror lovers - Read my full review at http://buttonholed.blogspot.com/
Terri
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this gothic horror story..with shades of Jane Eyre and Frankenstein . Nell arrives at Greythorne an isolated mansion to be the new governess. The mystery unfolds bit by bit and I did not guess the twist. the characters are well written and the description of the mansion are creepy and haunting. .
Julia
An interesting twist on the governess in a strange environment concept. The tension built well and I really enjoyed the ending. I disliked the change of tense in the epilogue, and I'd really like to see a book of what happens next.
Nettie
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I'm sorry to say I found this book very dreary. There was nothing original or exciting about it. Even the climax fell flat. The characters were very one sided and there was nothing to like about any of them.
Conny
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
Beautyful cover, and a wonderful story.
I love these sort of stories.
Matt
Aug 17, 2018
Jan
Sep 27, 2015
Thrillers & Chillers: Skype Date w/ L.M. Merrington 1 4 Jan 23, 2016 11:34AM
L.M. Merrington is an author, freelance writer and consultant. Her books include two Gothic mysteries, Greythorne and The Iron Line, and a non-fiction communications handbook, Communications for Volunteers: Low-Cost Strategies for Community Groups. She lives in Australia with her husband Tristan. For more information visit www.lmmerrington.com, or follow her on Facebook.