Start by marking “Vini-Der-Pu, A Yiddish Version of Winnie-the-Pooh” as Want to Read:
Vini-Der-Pu, A Yiddish Version of Winnie-the-Pooh

Vini-Der-Pu, A Yiddish Version of Winnie-the-Pooh

(Winnie-the-Pooh #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  231,906 ratings  ·  3,674 reviews
The Bear of Very Little Brain and his friends from the Hundred Acre Wood have delighted generations of readers since Winnie-the-Pooh was first published in 1926.
Published 2000 by Dutton Children's Books (first published October 14th 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Vini-Der-Pu, A Yiddish Version of Winnie-the-Pooh, please sign up.
Bodhi Looks like it's not a direct quote (from a little research). It's poetically strung together from a series of ideas in the last scene in the second…moreLooks like it's not a direct quote (from a little research). It's poetically strung together from a series of ideas in the last scene in the second book, The House at Pooh Corner. I guess it was made as some sort of "greeting card" blurb and was so touching, it spread all over the place. (congrats to whoever that author is). Christopher Robin asks Pooh to promise to never forget about him, then they go off together, but it says they will always be playing there…(less)

Paul Bryant
Winnie-the-Pooh, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Win-knee-the-Pooh: the tip of the lip taking a trip of three steps down the palate to return at four to kiss : Pooh. He was Pooh, plain Pooh, in the morning, standing eighteen inches in one sock. He was that scruffy old bear at school. He was Mr Winnie Pooh on the dotted line. But in my arms he was always Bear.
Manny
In which the animals meet a Hostile Reviewer, and Pooh invents a New Breakfast

One morning, Pooh and Piglet were walking through the Hundred Acre Wood, when they spied a strange Creature lying on the ground. As they got closer, they could see that it looked a bit like a very large Boy. But what was most remarkable was that someone had tied it down with hundreds of tiny ropes. It could hardly move a finger, and there was even something tied over its mouth.

"Mmf!" said the creature in a loud but rat
Kai
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

Since Winnie-the-Pooh is my favourite Disney movie, I decided to read book it's based on. Turns out it is one of my favourite books.
It is so absolutely sweet and filled with smart humor. What I like most about Winnie-the-Pooh is this melancholic feeling you get while reading. I just really really love it so much. I will forever read this to my future children (or dogs. Depends.)

Find more of my books on Instagram
Julie
Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne was my favorite book series as a child. Later, when my own kids sat listening to the adventures of Christopher Robin, Pooh Bear, Piglet, and Eeyore, and the gang, it was a little bit of a shock to discover this series, with its charming stories, are not just for kids.

A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference

I enjoyed sharing these stories with my own children, loving the chance - or excuse- to read them all over again, struck b
Petra Eggs
I got four matching hardback books today:

When We Were Very Young
Now We Are Six
Winnie-the-Pooh and
The House at Pooh Corner.

I was going to put some ribbon around them and sell them as a set, but I got lost in reading The King's Breakfast (and loving Shepard's illustrations) aloud. I don't really want to sell the book now. I want to have kiddies come into the shop and on the pretext of perhaps making a sale from the parents reading the poems aloud. Most of the parents won't be impressed though, the
James
Book Review
Can you believe Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne is almost 100 years old? I was shocked when I found out... I thought it was from the 1950s or 1960s... nonetheless, it's an amazing memory. So many fun characters, great childhood moment and even some adult ones come from these books and the subsequent mass market media that came from them. It always had me wondering... what exactly is a "pooh," as in bear... Christopher Robin's made-up name, so it seems, came from a childhood bear and
Summer
The Winnie the Pooh books are great because everyone has some sort of problem. Pooh is painfully naïve, Piglet is neurotic, Owl is a narcissist, Eeyore has major depression, Tigger is hyperactive, Rabbit is a sociopath, and Kanga needs to spend an afternoon with The Feminine Mystique. It's good for kids to learn that pretty much anyone you meet will have some sort of major problem.

Bookdragon Sean
Winnie-the-Pooh is so much fun. It has all the things that make for a fantastic children’s story.

Like The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Harry Potter there is a hidden world (a much better world) on the fringes of our own. Enter a wardrobe, a platform or a tree and you are on the cusp of something grand. It’s pure escapism. However, for all that, the Pooh stories are very simply written. Unlike the two books I just mentioned, I don’t think there’s much beyond the basic humorous moments in
Merphy Napier
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, five-stars
This is such a beautiful series and I had a great time the second time around. I can't wait to read this to my son someday

-----------------------

I was not expecting this to become a new favorite! It has a similar style to Peter Pan and it's SO FREAKING FUNNY! I loved this so much and am SO EXCITED to continue with the series!
Shirley Revill
My children and grandchildren love Winnie the Pooh and I must admit so do I.
He's my favourite bear and there is so much wisdom in these books by A.A Milne.
The stories from my childhood never seem to age and are loved by many children today both big and small. Pure nostalgia. 🐻
Chrissie
There is nothing I can say that does this book justice. It is a work of art. The word play is stupendous. It is funny from start to finish. It is perfect for both adults and kids. Although the lines and the vocabulary are actually better suited to adults, it works exceedingly well for both. By first entertaining and amusing the adults, it pushes them to talk and explain to their kids what may be difficult for them to understand. Kids know when their parents are enjoying themselves and then they ...more
Mariel
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Winnie's poo
Recommended to Mariel by: Eeyore's hot tail
Celebrity Death Match versus Heart of Darkness.
Dear Christopher Robin,
Your father and I miss you but we feel that it would be best if you spent the remainder of the summer at camp, as previously agreed. You quit the boy scouts, band and your newspaper route to spend more time with those... things. Really, my son, you are much too told to play with... stuffed animals. To think, all my friends in the bridge meetings have all-star athlete sons and honor roll daughters to brag about. I have Christop
James
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beautifully and so simply written (deceptively so) by A.A. Milne and exquisitely illustrated by E.H. Shepard (initially black/white line drawings and later colour washed by Shepard himself).

These are the stories of a boy and his bear, his world and all the wonderful characters that inhabit that world – 100 Acre Wood, his childhood and ultimately the passing of that childhood.

What could have been (especially considering the era in which they were written) a particularly twee, sickly sweet an
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Back at work after 10 days of vacay and my current mindset is a little summin' like this . . . .

Jonnie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I think of Winnie-the-Pooh, I think of an incredibly sweet melancholy. Like, A.A Milne is not allowed to make me feel these feels in the form of a children's story book!

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

“You can't stay i
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

My baby son is six months old and as part of his bedtime routine we're reading him stories. I
m a r y l i z
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So that was sweet. <3 Short, simple, and absolutely precious. This brought me back to my childhood of watching Winnie-the-Pooh and visiting Disneyland. *happy sigh* Definitely recommend reading this right before you go to college, hehe. ;)

Bryce Wilson
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-lit, children
It's tough to read something this perfect and pure without feeling a bit like Milton's Satan, dismayed by just how far from true innocence and grace I've fallen.

Jason Koivu
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: childrens book lovers and gun nuts
Recommended to Jason by: yo momma...no wait, i think it was my momma
Shelves: fiction
Pooh gets shot for godsake! I don't remember that in the version that was read to me as a child! What I recall were the sweet, pastoral tales of anthropomorphic animals living semi-silly existences in their quaint village-esque neighborhood in the woods. I liked Pooh, his muddled world view and convoluted logic, and Piglet's utter meekness had its charm, however Tigger was mah boy! He was my favorite character in the book and coincidentally my favorite ornament on my family's christmas tree. Rea ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Winnie-the-Pooh is such an English Treasure, it seems impossible that I had never read it before, not in my childhood or in my adulthood. However, being English means that I already know all about Pooh Bear, his friends and that most treasured English-childhood past-time of Pooh Sticks.

It was so charming and written so well, but I found it really didn't go anywhere. I wish I had read it as a child be
Will
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, bother! I’ve started this Review and now I don’t know how to continue. I had a Very Good Idea for one and then it sort of just Flew Away.
(“What’s a Revue? asked Piglet, "can they really fly?”
“Well, they can,” said Bear, “it Depends. Sometimes they just Plod, if you know what I mean. You have to say something of Very Great Importance, so that it will be Liked.”
“Pooh," said Piglet helpfully, "if you wrote it I would like it anyway.”)

But maybe there isn’t anything new I can say that hasn’t
Ken
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really wonderful collection of short tales that introduces the friends of Christopher Robin.
From that silly little Bear who is fixated on honey to the nervous Piglet.

I was quite surprised that Tigger doesn’t feature (he appears in the sequel).
I was familiar with most of these stories having grown up with the Disney cartoons, Pooh getting stuck in holes being so iconic.
This book also included some wonderful illustrations.

My favourite character is Eeyore, I loved he’s birthday storyline!
Azumi
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es justo el libro que necesitaba en este momento ♥♥ entrañable, tierno, divertido e ideal para olvidarte de los malos rollos de cada día.

Un libro recomendable tanto para adultos, como para adultos que lo lean a sus niños, como para niños a los que los que se los lea un adulto, como para niños que lo lean solos.
Las ilustraciones son un amor, bellísimas.
description

Buscando en internet (lo que buscaba era el nombre del burro en inglés) me he topado con un montón de entradas en las que se analizan las persona
Fred
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like pretty much everyone else in the world I'd heard of WINNIE-THE-POOH. I'd even seen a lot of the TV shows and movies (a friend of mine actually wrote some of the TV shows for Disney). But it wasn't until I watched GOODBYE CHRISTOPHER ROBIN that I became interested in reading the books. I am so very glad I did.

I've only read the first one so far, and, as expected, it is a wonderful children's story; but what I didn't realize was how uniquely well-written it is. Admittedly the opening caught m
Tolstoy
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celebrity deathmatch review in which Winnie the Pooh wins.

I know some here think I am unnecessarily wordy, so let me get straight to the point. Hamlet sucks.

[Editor's note to these recently discovered papers. Tolstoy tries really REALLY hard to leave it at that, but he can't. And thus Tolstoy continues...]

As I wrote some time ago now:

None of Shakespeare’s characters shows, in such a striking fashion, the playwright’s - I don’t want to say inability—complete disregard for proper characterization
Malina Skrobosinski
I'm sorry to say it, I just wasn't impressed.

I picked up this audiobook for free on World Book Day provided by Amazon. While it wasn't all bad, it hasn't been my favorite audiobook. I must say, I strongly disliked the music, I really just didn't see the point in it. It was extremely irritating to me. As for the narration, Peter Dennis did fairly well with representing the characters we all know and love. The only one I didn't feel was represented well was Christopher Robin, he just seemed to com
Kelli
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, children-s
Silly old bear! We listened to the audio during a family trip. For me, it was nostalgic, gentle, old-timey (a made up word that seems quite appropriate), and sweet. My children, both (I thought) on the older side to enjoy this in this day and age, absolutely adored it.
·Karen·
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Celebrity Death Match Quarter Final

The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh versus Mary Poppins

BANKS FAMILY EXPRESS SHOCK AT NEW REVELATIONS IN POPPINS CASE

London, Friday 14th October 2011

The Banks family have expressed their 'deep disappointment' at new discoveries in the Poppins corruption scandal. 'We just can't understand it' a tearful Mrs Banks said to reporters yesterday. 'She always looked as if butter would not melt in her mouth. It's hard to believe that she was working against t
Michael Kneeland
Upon seeing my five-star rating of Winnie-the-Pooh via my Facebook feed, my sister made the following comment: "The originals were depressing. I prefer Disney's cuddly version." I made the following response, which I think sums up my feelings about this wonderful classic children's book:

One day, Pooh and Piglet were walking through the Hundred Acre Wood when they came upon a Facebook Comment. "The originals were depressing," it read. "I prefer Disney's cuddly version."

"Th-th-that's a v-v-very b-
classics 1 2 Nov 19, 2018 05:41PM
Goodreads Librari...: Winnie-the-Pooh 14 902 Apr 09, 2018 01:25PM
Play Book Tag: Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne 5 stars 6 18 Mar 10, 2018 09:03PM
Around the Year i...: Winnie-The-Pooh, by A.A. Milne 6 59 Sep 19, 2017 09:42PM
101 Books to Read...: Winnie-the-Pooh 2 5 Sep 08, 2017 08:37PM
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • The Children of Noisy Village
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • Five Children and It (Five Children, #1)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • The Story of Ferdinand
  • The Emperor's New Clothes
  • The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3)
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac

Winnie-the-Pooh (4 books)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.” 8504 likes
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” 8478 likes