Start by marking “Clutch” as Want to Read:
Clutch

Clutch

clutch: a novel is the laugh-out-loud, chick lit romance chronicling the dating misadventures of Caroline Johnson, a single purse designer who compares her unsuccessful romantic relationships to styles of handbags – the “Hobo” starving artist, the “Diaper Bag” single dad, the “Briefcase” intense businessman, etc. With her best friend, bar owner Mike by her side, the overly ...more
Published October 26th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Clutch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clutch

Ana Vizentim
3,5 Stars

I really enjoyed to read about Caroline's dating/relationship mishaps.
It was funny and I releated with myself so many times!!!!!!

I loved Mike!!!!!
Elle's Book Blog
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chicklit, lol-humor
I generously received an ARC of this book via the author, Lisa Becker in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! :)

:: 5 Hilarious Stars ::

This book is absolutely hilarious! I really enjoyed reading about the dating misadventures of the main character, Caroline. She is smart and spunky, but can’t seem to find her one true love no matter what type of guy she dates. Mike, her best friend since they met in Harvard, is just as funny. He’s the type of guy that never settles down. He likes to run h
1-Click Addict Support Group
Clutch was a light, sweet, funny read! I absolutely loved the chapter names and how they related to Caroline’s dates.

“Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can,” she lifted her glass, “and a tall glass of Chardonnay to accept the things I can’t. That’s about the only gospel I can get behind.”

Caroline, purse addict and handbag designer, is looking for the one. Unfortunately, she is only finding losers. Her best friend since business school, Mike is with her along the way for the entire hila
Emily
Caroline Johnson left home to pursue her dream of making clutches. Her Aunt Mimi had made the art of getting a clutch something special to Caroline and she sees a niche that she is passionate about. Harvard is hard but meeting Mike has Caroline glad he sat next to her on her first day. He has been her rock and friend throughout and when he suggests they move to LA so he can open his bar, Caroline agrees. They are the best of friends and through the years they have gotten closer but will Caroline ...more
Jazmen
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
***THREE AND A HALF STARS***

The theme of this review is more.

Let's get right to it, shall we?
I really enjoyed Clutch. I did. But what could have been a 4 or 5 star read, suffered due to the length of the book. It just wasn't long enough. Just as I was really getting into the groove of the story--it was over. No bueno. I needed more.

It was too short lived. Let's talk about the story:
Clutch is the story of the "dating misadventures of Caroline Johnson." That is the gist of it. The reader is taken
iamnotabookworm
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
According to this story, men are like bags. And I find the comparison very amusing and very fitting. The author is very clever to come up with this idea. It's amazing. And yes, I did enjoy the story. Thanks again, Lisa W. Becker for the review copy.

For a person who likes bags and at one point, thought that the more I have them, I could have more variety and more choices to choose from. I used to think that it would be amazing to have bags in all colors to match outfits or have a different one wh
Michelle
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, comedy
Review can be found on my blog here: https://booksonthebookshelf.wordpress...

......

This book had me literally laughing out loud as I read along and flipped through the pages. A witty, light read that will have you in stitches, and laughing so hard that you cry and you read the trials and tribulations of Caroline Johnson’s love life and her dating experiences.

Caroline describes each of the men she goes on a date with and describes each as a type of handbag. I thought this idea was brilliant to th
Brittany from Can’t Quit Books
This book was a refreshing new twist on a romance novel.

The book was split into several chapters which were all titled different handbags. Each handbag was based on a different guy to match is personality or characteristics. (i.e. Diaper Bag- singe dad)

Caroline is a southern belle who has created her own handbag business. Her best friend Mike also own his own bar where several of the book scenes and dates take place. These two friends have different views on relationships. Mike has a three date
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I would give this 4 1/2 stars

This book reminded me of When Harry Met Sally. Caroline and Mike meet at Harvard and become fast friends. They see each other through good times and bad and have that one time in college where they hooked up....which they tease each other about all the time.

I loved the purse references and how Caroline always had a different purse, clutch, or wristlet for each outfit. I can't imagine what her closet looked like with all those bags.

While I kinda suspected that they wo
♥️Fantasy Land  Book Reviewer♥️
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is my first Lisa Becker and it is a cute read. She made dating at this age funny and kind of enjoyable. Although most were a disaster which made it funny. Good story.
Lisa Mandina
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the idea behind this story, and since I loved the other book I read by this author, Links, I signed up to review the audiobook of this. I am a bit of a purse lover, so I looked forward to that part of the story. I loved how the author used the different types of purses to describe each of the men in the main character, Caroline's life. The book started out a little bit slow and hard for me to read. I didn't connect with Caroline at first, as she just seemed so naive. Now, with the first ...more
Sharon Kallenberger Marzola
Lisa Becker did an excellent job of taking her original short story to a better novel by leaps and bounds with her additional chapters and the epilogue. If takes a sweet, funny story of looking for Mr. Right to the next level. This updated version is the perfect summer read.
Lustful Literature
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
**JOSIE'S REVIEW**

This is my first time reading a book by Lisa Becker, but I will admit the synopsis caught my eye and I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. Clutch is a short read, about 140 pages but I did not feel as though anything was missing from the story. The story is told mostly by Caroline but we get some of Mike’s as well. Clutch is a woman’s novel, the humor is LOL funny and so is the main characters journey to finding love.

I enjoyed how the author titled each chapter in the boo
Yvonne
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Caroline Johnson is fast becoming a huge success in her handbag designer business. She’s not such a big success in the romance department, though. It’s cute how she compares the men in her life to handbags. She sure knows how to find losers, but she also knows how to make us laugh in the process.

Caroline’s relationship with her best friend, Mike, is both realistic and refreshing to see. Both characters are delightful, fun and a joy to read about.

Clutch is the perfect book to sit back, relax and
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Overall 4 out of 5 stars
Performance 3 out of 5 stars
Story 4 out of 5 stars

Find a good thing hold on to it . . .

Can I say that she was seriously in to her purses, handbags, ect. . . This was a fun read. It got me through an afternoon enjoying the weather. It was pleasant, pleasing, and took me on a ride of a young adult into her maturity. She was strong, independent, intelligent, needed, and determined. Caroline knew what she wanted to do with her life since she was a small girl and her Aunt Mem
BeingKris
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenefer R
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Actual rating: 3.25 stars.

I enjoyed this one. There were funny parts, sweet parts, and quirky bits. Some of the guys Caroline encountered I can certainly relate to. I liked how each one was paired with a handbag which summed them up nicely. Dating life, from what I can recall...it's been a long time, is definitely full of more misses than hits. Overall a very relatable read.

My only complaint is that some parts felt rushed. I understand that the story takes place over the course of a few years,
Vânia Nunes
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vânia by: NetGalley
Funny.
I had already read a book in which the main character compared her dates to comfort food, but it is the first time that I see men being compared to handbags.
Of course this has everything to do with Caroline's work. She is a bag designer.

Her romantic life would make a great TV series. All men have the handsome side (like a good handbag), but after a few moments, the flaws pop out. Result: total disaster and many hours of Caroline at Mike's bar, her best friend, drinking Chardonnay.

Mike and
Ariadna Basulto
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was plain fun! From start, literally every single chapter title is a type of bag, to the hilariously awkward dates she goes on, I found myself giggling the whole way through. Caroline was simple adorable and Mike was swoon-worthy and hilarious. Their banter made for an entertaining audiobook and their chemistry had me rooting for their HEA.

Narration by Suzanne Barbetta was spot on and had me laughing the entire time. She’s a new to me narrator and I really enjoyed her work. I’m lookin
InD'tale Magazine
With chapter titles like Hobo, Diaper Bag, Fanny Pack, and of course, Clutch, this chick-lit romantic comedy serves up an equally entertaining number of dates that match. Caroline is sweet, funny and blind to the obvious.

Read full review in the 2018 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Amanda
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Living through dating/relationship mishaps are never fun, but reading about them are the best, and CLUTCH absolutely delivers!
Even though it is a bit predictable (read enough romance and this will happen), I enjoyed the laughs and the unique take on the beginning of each chapter.
AJ's book-reMarks
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was gifted, don't remember by whom, but thanks! Finally got to read this light, funny, and entertaining story. Loved the idea of each chapter named after a type of purse, bag, pocketbook, whatever you call it!
ReadingDiva Book Reviews
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
REVIEW: Have you ever read a book and felt a connection to it? As if the author was capable of capturing your thoughts and experiences? Clutch is the first book I read by Lisa Becker and it will not be the last. Clutch was short, but a great read.

The story is funny and the characters are quite relate-able. Caroline is a southern beauty, charming and a great friend to Mike. She is smart, beautiful and funny and a great catch, any man would be lucky to have her, but before she can find that guy sh
Bethany Clark
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! I'm a purse girl all the way - Marc Jacobs, Vera, Kate Spade, just to name a few! Although I am not able to buy as many as I would like being a single mom of three. Someday...I will buy a purse a week versus a purse a season!
OK, enough about me...on to Ms. Caroline Johnson.

As the story begins, she meets this awesome, yet very sarcastic guy, Mike, during her time at Harvard Business School, yes I said HARVARD! He showed up with a coffee, gave it to her and they have been besties
Lorna
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rom-com, chic-lit
(PureTextuality.com)Lisa Becker’s Click series was a fun introduction into fictional adult relationship hurdles. Now with Clutch, the author has continued writing even more about those same problems, kind of like a dating 101 class.

Clutch, as a title, makes more sense when you realize that the main character of this story is Caroline, a designer of purses. She owns her own business and even went to Harvard business college to get her masters in order to be able to run it. While at Harvard, she m
Paula  Phillips
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Often in life , we have that one person or thing that will inspire us to believe that we can do whatever we want no matter what happens . For Southerner Caroline Johnson, it was her Aunt when she first gave Caroline her first ever handbag. This inspired Caroline to become one of the world's best handbag designers , over the years we watch as Caroline works her way up to getting into Harvard Business School where she meets Mike. Though Mike is wealthy , he dreams of stepping away from the family ...more
Shannon
3.5*
Clutch is a cute, quick, and easy read.

I'm a bit of a purse junkie so the title and cover alone were enough to draw me in, add in the fact that the h is a handbag designer and I was sold.

"...you find something you love and you just hold onto." Wise words spoken to 7yo Caroline, by her Aunt Mimi. Thanks to those words, and a hot pink purse, Caroline's love affair with purses began.

On her first day at Harvard Business School Caroline meets Mike, and a great friendship was born. After gradu
Laura Hampton
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clutch is the first book I have read by Lisa Becker and she definitely does not disappoint. Talk about a refreshing, hilarious, roller coaster ride of a read.

Caroline Johnson has just sat down in her first class at Harvard Business school. With dreams of owning her own purse business someday, this is where she needs to be to get her there. In walks Mike Barnsworth, heir to the largest brokerage firm in New York. He wants nothing to do with the family business and sets out to open his own bar, wi
Stephanie Lasley
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Comedic Love Story 4.3 Stars
Is it possible for a handsome, confident man to have a longstanding platonic relationship with an intelligent, attractive woman without developing any sexual tension or desires along the way? This story tells the tale.
Southern Belle, Caroline Johnson, has always aspired to become a Fashion Accessory Designer. From a young age, she was obsessed with purses. Through persistence, dedication and hard work Carolyn is accepted into The Harvard Business School.
On her first
Donna
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
We've all heard you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince. For purse designer Caroline, the saying is "You have to go through a lot of purses before you find your clutch."

This was a cute story with an interesting hook. Caroline dated a lot of guys and compared each one to a different style purse. A style you knew you could live without. She was looking for her "Clutch"-- the one style she had to have. Her best friend Mike was by her side throughout all these unnecessary "purses
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dangerously Close (Adrenaline Highs, #3)
  • Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers Book 5)
  • Accepting Fate (Defining Destiny #2)
  • You Can't Go Home Again
  • Fix You (Fix You, #1)
  • Pitch Perfect (Boys of Summer, #1)
  • The Frenchman
  • Mates, Dates, and Saving the Planet  (Mates, Dates)
  • Ace Jones: Misadventures in a Winter Wonderland
  • Gisborne: Book of Pawns (The Gisborne Saga, #1)
  • Murder, Mystery & Dating Mayhem (The Gray-Haired Knitting Detectives Book 1)
  • Love in the Afternoon (Feeling the Heat, #1)
  • Cupcakes and Crushes (Turtle Pine, #1)
  • The Fairest of Them (Rae Hatting Mysteries, #1)
  • Better Together (Sweet Haven Farm, #1)
  • One Heart to Give (Heart's Intent #1)
  • Into the Light (Lightbearer, #1)
  • A Sadness Within
Lisa Becker is an award-winning romance writer who spends her time like she spends her money - on books and margaritas. As Lisa’s grandmother used to say, “For every chair, there’s a tush.” Lisa is now happily married to a wonderful man she met online and lives in Manhattan Beach, California with him and their two daughters. So, if it happened for her, there’s hope for anyone! You can share your l ...more