Start by marking “We Come to Our Senses: Stories” as Want to Read:
We Come to Our Senses: Stories

We Come to Our Senses: Stories

Lacerating and lyrical, We Come to Our Senses centers on men and women affected by combat directly and tangentially, and the peculiar legacies of war. The story “Evie M.” is about a vet turned office clerk whose petty neuroses derail even her suicide; in “We Come to Our Senses,” a hip young couple leaves the city for the sticks, trading film festivals for firearms; in “Col ...more
Published July 26th 2016 by W. W. Norton Company (first published July 25th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about We Come to Our Senses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Come to Our Senses

Start your review of We Come to Our Senses: Stories
Leah Angstman
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is excellent, well-written, heartbreaking. I especially love the viewpoints of women in the military that go so often unsaid.
Kathleen Gray
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like short stories, try this. Lindsey has created characters who speak to the problems of war and peace and does so wonderfully. This might be a lot to take in in one setting but it's a great book to visit with one story at a time. Thanks so much to Lindsey for addressing these issues and to Netgalley for the ARC.
Shannon
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous read! His writing style is smooth and flowing.
Thankfully enjoyed being exposed to the Gulf War situation from his point of view and I am still thinking about how beautifully descriptive his writing is.
SA Whiting
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly perceptive and full of compassion. Gritty, yet tender. These stories stick with you.
Katherine
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
“It felt like scooping water with a rake” (25).
“...their breath tufted in the winter air” (87)
“Fighter jets rented the vast gray horizon, cracking the sound barrier, shredding the calls to prayer” (101).
“Their bellies distended, their hip bones propping hide” (102).
“Uniformed were everywhere; drunk, loud, immortal. They were immune, still, to the bill cycles and family reunions, parent-teacher meetings, gas prices and cuckoldry that would quickly re-latch and debilitate” (109).
“‘Y’all still got
Joe
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ron Charles

I Review Odie Lindsey's We Come to Our Senses.
Whether they’re home for good or about to be deployed overseas, these men and women have been scarred and traumatized by war, by the enemy and by other soldiers. The impact of the stories derives from Lindsey’s ability to assume a convincing voice, sometimes a female one.

Go to my blog Have Words--Will Write 'Em
and then to the News & Observer:

--Joe
Martie Nees Record
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a novel of short stories about current day soldiers, both men and women. They have been hurt physically as well as mentally by combat on and off the field. I was personally the most affected by the stories where the women were the protagonists. The tales are beautifully written, often shocking and always heartbreaking. It left me feeling that we simply need to thank those that help keep us safe more often.
Angie Walls
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite story collections in the recent years, that I keep coming back to reading. It is both captivating and devastating, offering a very honest and raw glimpse at the lives of soldiers trying to return to civilian life in the South -- at times the loneliness, the obsession, the heartache, and everything in between. Artfully written, it is an ambitious collection that is powerful in its language, and I loved seeing this rare perspective of female vets coming home. Highly recommend!
Sue
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Good Reads.

This book is a compilation of short stories, all of which center on men and women affected by combat, whether directly or indirectly.

If you enjoy a brief interlude in your busy day, this is definitely a quirky book for you.
Patricia Geller
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Painful stories about vets, both male and female. the stories cover both their time in Iraq and majr difficulties integrating back into America.
Denise
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finished poking through this book of short stories for Memorial Day weekend. As with most short story anthologies there are some favored and some not so and this book was no different in that regard. The sadness it evoked in me was almost overwhelming. A good thing about short stories though is that you can put them down & pick them up again without forgetting the plot. But I had to take a respite from reading it several weeks ago with a pledge to finish up this weekend as a Memorial Day "thank ...more
Marvin
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Collection of stories centered around military life, mostly after service experience. These stories tend to be heavy, brooding, often dark. The seems to settle and ruminate on images and ideas, moments, and suffer a bit, perhaps, from a lack of forward momentum. Almost like very long prose poems at times. Seem at their strongest in stories like "Hers," or the wild "D. Garcia Brings The War," in which the characters and focus are just as inward-looking but a greater sense of plot drives forward a ...more
Devora Gray
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
While this author is a beautiful story-teller in the way it's obvious he writes as if there are no voices of doubt to persuade a sympathetic ear he been there, done that, half the stories were too blatant and immersed for me to follow without real work. Yeah, it's a first-world problem.
Marley
Jul 18, 2020 added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
DNF - Too subtle and nuanced for me.
Niki Tubacki
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We Come to Our Senses is extremely well-written and evocative. I love that it is broken into multiple short stories because I could read one story at a time and then spend a few days reflecting on that story before tackling the next one. All of the stories drew me in instantly and had me completely invested in the people, which made them so much more poignant.

I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway, and I'm very happy I did.
Heather Erosky
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
The stories in this collection are hit-or-miss. Some of the stories elicited an emotional response from me, which is not an easy feat. There is one story in particular that haunts me; I don't want to spoil it, but I will say that it had something to do with a lighter.

For other stories, I found my mind wandering; it was difficult to stay focused on what was happening. With that being said, I would love to read more by this author.

I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
Rachel
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This book had some sharply observed scenes and unique details. The author allowed me to enter into the world of enlisted people without leaning on stereotypes or assumptions. The stories from the perspectives of women with trauma residue were particularly well drawn.
Bret Jarvis
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love books filled with stories and this is easily one of my favorites. I enjoyed this so very much. Won courtesy of Goodreads giveaways
Alycia
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
There is a slight obsession with overly white teeth/dental care in these stories. They are mentioned in almost every one.
Some of the stories were great, others not so much.
David
Sep 16, 2016
Rachel
Mar 05, 2017
Jay Hinman
Jan 14, 2017
Guy Choate
This collection’s best offering is “11/19/98,” which taps a well of nostalgia as it makes reference after reference to primetime sitcoms. It shouldn’t work as a short story, but it very much does. The stories were scattered with pop culture/television references, but other stories in the book didn’t work as well for me.
Robert Moscalewk

• Freedom: My Book of Firsts
  • Fake ID
  • Fire Shut Up in My Bones
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything American History Textbooks Get Wrong
  • The History of Bees (Klimakvartetten, #1)
  • The Stories You Tell (Roxane Weary, #3)
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
  • Galápagos
  • To Shake the Sleeping Self: A Journey from Oregon to Patagonia, and a Quest for a Life with No Regret
  • Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
  • Player Piano
  • The Spy Who Couldn't Spell: A Dyslexic Traitor, an Unbreakable Code, and the FBI's Hunt for America's Stolen Secrets
Odie Lindsey is the author of Some Go Home: A Novel and We Come to Our Senses: Stories. He received an NEA-funded fellowship for veterans, holds an MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and is writer-in-residence at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.

News & Interviews