Start by marking “The Book of R: A First Course in Programming and Statistics” as Want to Read:
The Book of R: A First Course in Programming and Statistics

The Book of R: A First Course in Programming and Statistics

"The Book of R" is a comprehensive, beginner-friendly guide to R, the world's most popular programming language for statistical analysis. Even if you have no programming experience and little more than a grounding in the basics of mathematics, you'll find everything you need to begin using R effectively for statistical analysis.

You'll start with the basics, like how to
Paperback, 1st edition, 432 pages
Published November 25th 2015 by No Starch Press

To ask other readers questions about The Book of R, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of R

Start your review of The Book of R: A First Course in Programming and Statistics
Mike Harris
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has one of better over views of R and statistical modeling for people new to R and statistical modeling. Maybe if I did not read it cover to cover and just read the middle part I would have given it a 4 but I felt that the last section on graphs just dragged on.

I did almost all of the exercises and found them to be okay for re-enforcing the content.

The diamond data 404s now but if you use the diamond data set that comes with ggplot2 you’ll be able to follow along with the examples and
Christopher Hall
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. This took me from no knowledge of R and relatively little knowledge of programming to being conversant in R. And I got a job offer partly as a result of my skills in R!

The book covers the basic aspects of programming all the way to introducing complex statistical concepts and creating full-color 3D plots. Each section (about 4 per chapter) has exercises to practice the concepts covered.

I know I'll be using this a reference for years to come.
James Carter
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Book of R is an excellent book to start with when it comes to learning R for the first time. It's a huge book which is nearly 800 pages long. That being said, I lost motivation after 500 pages because I saw too many technical details not relevant to me. The author should have focused on the basics first. All in all, The Book of R should initially serve you well.
Kelsey Edwards
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Best book about R I’ve read so far. Loved it enough to purchase this instead of continuing to rent from the library.
Michael Burton
Roberto Hernando
Jun 14, 2019
Christopher Hall
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I know I'll be using this a reference for years to come.
James Carter

• A Most Elegant Equation: Euler’s Formula and the Beauty of Mathematics
  • R for Data Science: Import, Tidy, Transform, Visualize, and Model Data
  • Computational Thinking
  • Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data
  • Standard Deviations: Flawed Assumptions, Tortured Data, and Other Ways to Lie with Statistics
  • bookdown: Authoring Books and Technical Documents with R Markdown (Chapman & Hall/CRC The R Series)
  • Shroud (The Cleave Trilogy #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »