Start by marking “I'm Jack” as Want to Read:
I'm Jack

I'm Jack

An "intelligent, disturbing slice of noir" that portrays the man who derailed the police investigation into the Yorkshire Ripper (The Guardian).

In this provocative novel, Mark Blacklock portrays the true and complex history of John Humble, aka Wearside Jack, the Ripper Hoaxer, a timewaster and criminal, sympathetic and revolting, the man hidden by a wall of words, a fictio
Published June 4th 2015 by Granta Books

To ask other readers questions about I'm Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Jack

Start your review of I'm Jack
Ilyhana Kennedy
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The crafting of this novel is exceptional. A mosaic of letters, reports, witness accounts, even poetry make up an impression of the man John Humble. It requires interpretation by the reader, a deciphering of the lies, the arrogance, the stupidity, the fragments of honest regret, the eventual capitulation to the truth of his doing.
Parts of the novel are monotonous, as his life must have been. Underlying the monotony is a sinister inference that John Humble truly desired to identify with the reput
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very impressed by this, both by the clever use of a mosaic structure, and by the insight into Humble's character. You have to slow down and read the Wearside-dialect monologues aloud for their full effect (and sometimes, to understand them), but the book as a whole is evocative, imaginative, and compassionate. David Peace with a heart.
I read this in one go - I'll admit to being gripped, even though (and perhaps because) I knew what happened. This s the best true crime/novel crossover that
Jessica
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a pretty great read. I don't usually go in for crime stuff, but this was a nice, very emotional book. It's based on the Wearside Jack hoax letters about the Yorkshire Ripper, and really, I found myself sort of feeling bad for Wearside Jack?? I'm probably a secret criminal at heart, but the book was told through his letters, letters to him, and various legal documents and it painted a very heartfelt, sad picture. Worth a read if you're interested in crime or serial killers. ...more
Danny Rhodes
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to begin?

Casual acquaintances with this novel may baulk at the unparagraphed, unpunctuated, stream of consciousness opening and put it back where they found it.

That would be a mistake.

This is a brilliant, innovative novel, if indeed 'novel' is the way to describe it. Made up of letters, police transcripts, scientific and psychoanalytic reports, graphology, redacted statements and various other forms, (real or imagined, it's impossible to tell) Mark Blacklock has weaved a complex portraya
Korie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Synopsis
In this provocative novel Mark Blacklock portrays the true and complex history of John Humble, aka Wearside Jack, the Ripper Hoaxer, a timewaster and criminal, sympathetic and revolting, the man hidden by a wall of words, a fiction-spinner worthy of textual analysis. In this remarkable work, John Humble leads the reader into an allusive, elusive labyrinth of interpretations, simultaneously hoodwinking and revealing.

I'm Jack is a riveting novel about truth, lies, prison and shame. It
Vicky
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really impressive multi-layered picture of Jack Humble. Knew the story but nothing about the man, until I read this - even though this is mostly imagined, I feel like I’m right inside his head now. Reminded me of You Can Do Something Amazing With Your Life You Are Raoul Moat’ by Andrew Hankinson, which is also highly recommended.
Justin Sarginson
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original format, well crafted and incredibly entertaining. Perhaps not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Grim at points, but reality is right?
Andrew Nolan
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, but probably not an easy read if you're unfamiliar with the case or the dialect. ...more
Rachel
I was not expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. I am fascinated by Jack the Ripper but have very little interest in the Yorkshire Ripper case, despite the fact that I come from Sunderland and how much my city was caught up in that case.
But reading this book has made me curious.
I loved the unreliable narrative style and the use of the epistolary format. I found the poor spelling and grammar to be charming and as it is my local dialect, had no issues with understanding it.
I loved hearin
Chris Roberts
Aug 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
England / (Aerial shot) Leeds at dusk / (Soft focus) / An industrial area / (Hard focus) / A six-story confectionery warehouse / (Zoom in) / rooftop / (Camera center) two figures.

(Head shot, both characters) “Oi Derick / I can touch the sky!” / “Bloody brilliant Chris!” / “Let's roll a baccy” / Are you barmy?! Let's get at it now! Wait, what's that noise?” / “Belt up! Have a butchers Derick!

(Pan in) / Peter Sutcliffe scampering up drain pipe /(Zoom out slowly, fix) Ripper grabs Derick, he stru
Findus Jackson
Apr 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Whitsun Weddings
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust #2)
  • Year of Wonders
  • The Twenty-Ninth Year
  • The Princess of Denmark
  • The Wall
  • Chasing the Dime
  • More William (Just William, #2)
  • The Special Ones