Start by marking “Princeless: Raven the Pirate Princess Book 1: Captain Raven and the All-Girl Pirate Crew” as Want to Read:

(Raven: the Pirate Princess (Trades) #1)

Raven is ready to set out on her quest for revenge against her brothers. They’ve stolen everything that should be hers and now she’s going to get it back. But first, she needs a crew. Share the laughs, action, and adventure as Raven assembles the fearless crew of awesome ladies who will help her get her revenge.
Published January 26th 2016 by Action Lab Entertainment (first published January 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Princeless, please sign up.

lov2laf
Well, this was a fun read.

Raven, who was set to inherit her father's pirate empire, has been betrayed by her father and brothers and is now on a mission of revenge. But, before she can do anything, she needs a pirate crew.

Book 1 follows Raven's adventures in putting that crew together and each character she collects is unique, talented, and amusing in their own way.

Though the writer is male, the narrative is very pro-female and even includes jokes about mansplaining, etc, which I found highly
stephanie
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
read issues 1-3. amazing. makes a "not all men" joke. like... you had me at hello.
Danika at The Lesbrary
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awesome! Diverse crew of women pirates, seeking revenge. This seems to be aimed at a slightly older audience than Princeless? That one seemed more middle grade, this one seems more teen (there's more violence). I loved the references that I caught (Doctor Who, Avatar, a Kelly Sue DeConnick appearance). I look forward to reading more!

(Full review to come at the Lesbrary)
Kate (GirlReading)
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-favourites
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH.

What’s not to love about a story about a group of kickass women with brilliant humour, wonderful characters and a fantastic plot?! My only issue with it is that it’s far too short, I WANT MORE.

This was everything I didn’t know I need right now. I’m going to need the next issue asap. (R.I.P my bank account.)
Miss Susan
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia
let me tell you the story of me reading this book friends. so i biked over to my library -- it's on the far-ish side, takes about 20 min at a normal pace -- and when i get there it's 15 minutes to close and i'm a little tired so i figure, hey, why not chill on a couch and read the first chapter or two till closing and then head back home

that is mostly what happened! however, i had failed to account for just how utterly delightful this book is and so when the librarians kicked me out instead of b
Rikki
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, epic-fantasy
This book made me so happy. This book was fun and funny and had some of the best references (My Cabbages!). I am really glad that I read this and I feel that it is important that younger women have access to books like this. Seeing Women of Color in leading, action roles in a story is so very profound that it's hard to articulate just what it means.
E.
4,5🌟

I!! MISSED!! RAVEN!! SO!! MUCH!!

Raven is out to get back at her brothers who manipulated their father to get her locked up in a tower as it is done to 'land princesses'. There's only one thing she lacks to do so — the crew .

And the crew she gets. With many complications on the way, of course, but how else a pirate gets their crew, right? And what a crew it is. I love the main five. We have: A Muscles & D&D Girl, A Blow Shit Up Girl, A Really Fast & Jumpy Dancer, A Girl Who Kno
Jasmine
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
So hilarious that it made me tentatively over come my dislike of pirates-as-heros. Because I'm not into murdering, kidnapping and stealing as a career choice, but GOODNESS this had a delightful nerdy joke on every page.
Marion
I literally just finished this first volume and let me just say, I'm so glad I stumbled upon this.
The diversity in this comic is comparable to Rat Queens' (which is one of my all-time favorites comic series), and it's just so so so refreshing. Every single time I get to read something where there are diverse characters (as in Not Just White, Straight, Cis, and Male), I swoon. These girls are AWESOME. This had me at "Pirate Princess" and "All-Girl Pirate Crew". Gosh, so so good. Also, there are "
Sesana
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Just as good as I'd hoped it would be. The tone is a little more mature than in Princeless, which suits the characters. I already liked Raven, and I'm happy to report that I really liked most of the new characters introduced in this book. This is an exposition heavy volume, so it really is just all about Raven putting her crew together. But it's fun and often funny, and it served as a good introduction to what will be the main cast. It's a great addition to the Princeless universe, and I'm excit ...more
Valerie
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommendations
YES. This is what I want! Queer girls having adventures and doing cool shit. I want my ragtag multicultural group of friends to kick ass. I want stuff like this to be as ubiquitous as white men with daddy issues and love at first sight.
Luce
Instant happiness, that's what Princeless is. (And somehow, Raven's storyline is even more awesome than Adrienne's!) I'm so glad I found out about this series because it's everything I've ever needed or wanted. I hope it runs for a long long time <3
Kristin El
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a kick butt girl power series. Love it.
Sharon
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, ya
I love everything about this book, from the wide variety of characters to the knowing in-jokes (all the male pirate applicants!), to the queer romantic tension. BRILLIANT.
Amanda
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5***
Laura (bbliophile)
Oh this was so much fun! And a lot funnier than I expected
Dreximgirl
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun! It had funny jokes, a good plot and excellent characters. I love female pirates and cannot wait to read more
Debbie
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was super excited about this. I am in utter love with the main Princeless series, and loved Raven from Volume 3. Hey, she's a kick-ass pirate princess of Asian descent. Hell yes.

It looks like Raven: the Pirate Princess is for an older audience than the main Princeless title. The artwork reads older, for one, and the violence is more... it seems silly to say violent, but it's true. It's depicted as actual violence instead of something silly. You sometimes see blood, even.

Also, the jokes are mu
laura (bookies & cookies)
I'm ecstatic Raven has her own series, though I do hope she crosses paths with Adrienne again!

How do I love this graphic novel? Let me count the ways.
-There is a Lesbian WOC Pirate Main Character!
-LOVE TRIANGLE
-Women of different body types, skin colors, interests
-ATLA reference
-Diversity even in the background characters! There's an interracial couple in one scene
-All of the characters are so faceted and are amazing when considered by themselves and better in the group
-The whole scene where men
Danielle Booey
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I thought I couldn't love the Princeless universe anymore than I already do, but the spin off is better than the original. It has more girl power, more LGBTQ, more pirates, more girls of color!!! oh the diversity, and the jokes. Oh my gosh. Jeremy Whitley might be the only man on the planet who gets it. Between Sunshine shutting down the "Not all men" guy, to Katie showing the scum bags how to fight with a chair, the casual disdain for mom jokes and body shaming, this book has it all and mo ...more
Skye Kilaen
I cannot thank Jeremy Whitley enough for the spark that has become the Princeless series, through his hard work and the work of all the other talented creators. My favorite part of this book is the series of job interviews Raven holds with men who want to join her crew. Whitley took every stupid thing guys say to women on Twitter and turned it into a scene that had me crying with laughter. My tired feminist heart healed up a little bit reading it.

The only problem with this series is that Whitle
E
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely glued to this story from page one. Not just for the adventure, but for the characters- Raven's crew getting to know each other... and I laughed out loud at some of the male pirates. Dudebro pirates howling about misandry! Too perfect! Now to get my hands on the next book.
Fallon
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this series and love the whole idea of an all female pirate crew!
Alexis
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lady pirates!!!!! Loved the gaming scene and Sunshine's defeat of the Goblin King. Loved Ximena's maps and her fashion sense. Loved the Airbender reference. Loved Katie's face when she realizes she's "Muscles." Loved the triumvirate cameos (and I'm told that's legit Kelly Sue Deconnick dialogue).

The messages about gender and feminism are a wee heavy-handed (okay, a lot heavy-handed), but it worked. Can't wait to see how a ship full of nerds, only three of who have sea-going experience, do on th
Katie
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Six stars. I don't know if this universe is sustainable, but I am going to re-read the pirate recruiting scene every time I feel sad or stabby. Best remedy for reading an internet comments section EVAR.

A dancer who picks pockets. A misunderstood genius. A busty navigator with a complicated history with our protagonist. A character named KATIE who's a little bit Brienne of Tarth. Potential lady pirate recruits hanging out rolling dice and discussing whether it's LARPing or tabletop night. What's
Britt
This spin-off series might be better than the original - Raven's story seems to be aimed at slightly more mature readers, which is cool as now readers can kind of grow up with the series. And of course, many things benefit from the presence of pirates. Especially lady pirates.

That scene where Raven was basically "speed dating" her potential crew recruits had me in stitches. I <3 this one. I'll be book-talking it and purchasing it for the nieces. 5 stars.
Kaethe Douglas
Princeless: Raven The Pirate Princess Book 1: Captain Raven and the All-Girl Pirate Crew (Princeless Raven Pirate Princess) - Jeremy Whitley
Such fun, every bit as appealing as Princeless, actually more so to me, because as much as I love a good sword fight, a sword fight on a ship is even better An excellent choice if you know a Pirates of the Caribbean fan, although this doesn’t have any horror. I’m curious to see what else spins out of Princeless.

Library copy
April
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this series even more than Princeless. Raven and her crew are a bit rougher and more mature than the characters in Princeless and it fits the characters well. The jokes are great and the diversity is just brilliant. Raven is setting up her crew in these issues so it's a lot of introductions but still good laughs and great art throughout.
Alex
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2018
So much love. The jokes are great, the characters are great and the story is great. I'm excited for the next chapter!
Kendra
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoy the characters, I just don't enjoy the story/jokes as much as the other Princeless books. I'll definitely read the rest, just not be as invested :)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 3
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 2: Cosmic Cooties
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 4: I Kissed a Squirrel and I Liked It
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 6: Sink or Swim
  • The Witch Next Door (Courtney Crumrin #5)
  • Cucumber Quest: The Ripple Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #2)
  • DC Comics: Bombshells, Vol. 4: Queens
  • Another Castle: Grimoire
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • For Want of a Fiend
Jeremy Whitley is the son of two teachers and the husband of a third.

Born in La Mesa, CA, Jeremy went to high school in Lenoir, NC and college at The University of North Carolina. He graduated with a Bachelors in English, a minor in Creative Writing, and a girlfriend who would soon become a wife.

He and his wife Alicia live in Raleigh with their elemental daughter, Zuri. Jeremy writes part-time an

Raven: the Pirate Princess (Trades) (6 books)
  • Princeless: Raven the Pirate Princess Book 2: Free Women
  • Princeless: Raven the Pirate Princess Book 3: Two Boys, Five Girls, and Three Love Stories
  • Princeless: Raven the Pirate Princess Book 4: Two Ships in the Night