Start by marking “Boys of Few Words: Raising Our Sons to Communicate and Connect” as Want to Read:
Boys of Few Words: Raising Our Sons to Communicate and Connect

Boys of Few Words: Raising Our Sons to Communicate and Connect

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
When your son responds to personal questions with a blank stare, or quickly changes the topic, you might chalk it up to “boys will be boys”--but still worry that something is missing in your relationship or troubling your child. You could be right on both counts. Whether your son needs to talk more, or just more effectively, this practical book will help you raise him to c ...more
Published December 23rd 2005 by The Guilford Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Boys of Few Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boys of Few Words

Douglas Lord
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clinical psychologist Cox has written a thoughtful book exploring how nature and nurture combine with common "boy" issues like shyness, withdrawal, anger, and aggression to discourage the development of broad, deep, and verbally dexterous social and emotional vocabularies. His detailed real-life examples, suggested interventions for specific situations, and ten principles to help parents focus will help parents mold their sons into skilled communicators. As a result, the boys will be better able ...more
Nicole
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Super-useful info for me as a mother of a boy. I absolutely support the idea of boys and men having a traditional role in life and marriage but I also want them to be able to communicate to the best of their ability. I was surprised to find that I already do a lot of what this books encourages but I also found that there were some great ideas and thoughts I had never done before. Very helpful and a recommended read for all moms with boys!
Joyce L
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a brillant discussion of male psychology, starting with the youngest boys and through adolescence (and much applies to adults, as well.) Read it and you will understand the boys and men in your life with greater depth and empathy, and learn how to "communicate and connect" much more effectively.
Krista
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partially-read
Read this in my book club. I cannot remember a lot about it, truthfully, but I do remember that as mothers we respond and touch/hug our girls more than our boys. Author states that boys need this touch just as much as girls do. I've packed that away in my brain.
Julie Bielman-Smith
Jul 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every parent.
This book has given me a surprisingly, however accurate description of my son. Where as my daughter is very articulate, Conor is very
Anne
Mar 03, 2015 added it
A valuable ressource for any parent or teacher concerned in the emotional litteracy of boys.
Gina
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love trying to figure out new ways to get my son involved in communicating effectivly. This book is informative for all boys! I can even understand my husband better now.
Jenifer Lechuga
Fantastic book. It has helped to me to understand my 8 year-old son. I feel better armed to help him grow from a wonderful boy to an amazing man!
Connie Weiss