Start by marking “Creeping Shadow (The Rise of Isaac, #1)” as Want to Read:
Creeping Shadow (The Rise of Isaac, #1)

Read Book

Creeping Shadow

(The Rise of Isaac #1)

A man waits in Vale, a world void of humanity.

A mother vanishes, her disappearance concealed by the police.

A girl collapses, black magic invading her blood.

And a boy linked to them all must fight to save his family.

Earth is just one of seven worlds. Gateways divide the realms and those who pass through must earn keys, participating in challenges that will separate the fear
Kindle Edition
Published December 9th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Creeping Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creeping Shadow

Caron
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted to my blog: https://diminishingthoughts.wordpress...

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Creeping Shadow is about Oliver Knight and his adopted sister’s journey through the other worlds. Neither of them knew about the other worlds’ existence until their grandfather- Ely- was forced to tell them when May was struck with a curse that was intent on killing her.

This was The Hunger Games meets The Testing. This book in no way mimicked those st
Wendy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I was given Creeping Shadow as an advanced copy in return for an honest review.

Creeping Shadow is a very enjoyable book, filled with likeable characters and an engaging story line and I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Some of the writing jarred a little and the characterisation seemed a little flat to me, none of the characters had a particularly distinct voice. That said, I liked Oliver and May enough to want to see where the book was taking them.

Creeping Shadow is fantasy mee
Soccergypsy
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
** ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review. **

Wow. This was Harry Potter meets The Hunger Games with The Jetsons thrown in and it worked! The magic and fantasy of Potter, the action and "section factions" from Games and technology advances reminiscent of the Jetsons. Wonderful twists and the many unanswered questions actually leaves you wanting more instead of feeling frustrated due to lack of resolutions. A fun and entertaining read.
Anna
*****I voluntarily reviewed this book for the author, all opinions are my own.*****

I wasn't sure how this book was going to add up after I read the first book in Caroline Peckham's other series, The V Games. However, I love a good fantasy (my fave genre) and this book was a darn good fantasy!

I loved the world building. The other worlds such as Aleva sound so whimsical and I was sucked right into my imagination. I love when I can feel like I'm being transported and I definitely lost myself in thi
Nicole
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book directly from Ms. Peckham! Thank you so much Caroline.

If this site provided the half stars, I would definitely say this novel is a 3.5 out of 5 for me. What I really enjoyed was the prologue. I was hooked.

However, for me after that the novel doesn't really pick up again until chapter 5 -- A Dark Fate. After that the story really picked up for me!

Some of my other favourite parts were the flash backs to Issac and trying to get to the world populated by Varks.
Renee
I was provided an ARC copy in exchange for my honest review...

What it's about...
This is about two teens, brother and adopted sister, that find out something about their past and are sent to live with their grandfather. There was something a little different about this grandfather. As they snoop around they find keys with their names engraved on them. Then May - the adopted sister - ends up cursed. A journey begins and they find friends along the way in order to cure the curse.

My thoughts...
Th
Deborah Hawley
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has not started this series, YOU ARE MISSING OUT!! All of the Potter and Survival fans out there, this one is for you. It is a great mix of both types into to one and the characters are wonderful and sometimes a little on the off side. Overall it is fantastic!!
Gea
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful games and admirable friendships!
May and Oliver face their problems head on and of course that might get them into intense situations.
Great story! I’m off to the next one!
Adli
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
M.J. J Mallon
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

I received an ARC copy from the author, Caroline Peckham in exchange for an honest review.

Well, I’m so glad I decided to read this. It has a heck of a lot going for it, full of mysteries to solve, a girl appears in the middle of the road, and is welcomed into the family, a missing mother…… It is reminiscent of several books, to begin with it reminded me of A Series of Unfortunate Events with the children’s mother going missing, and the two distraught young
Today We Did
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Today We Did
Oliver and May Knight find themselves alone in the world when their mother mysteriously vanishes from their home. The authorities ship them off to live with a grandfather that they have never met, and don’t know anything about. He lives in a strange house and is keeping secrets from them. When May awakes screaming under the pain of a powerful curse, some truths must come to the surface. The earth is but one of seven worlds connected by gateways, there is real magic and mages who can
Whitney
Creeping Shadow is The Hunger Games meets Divergent meets Harry Potter! There’s magi, challenges, keys to other worlds to obtain, and secrets…

From the first page I was hooked. It was not one of those action packed fantasies that can take a while to get built up, but rather you are captivated from the start! A young Oliver and his mom are driving one night when something in the road catches their eye. They find a girl about Oliver’s age with no memory but her name, May. Flash forward 10 years, Ol
Jen
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A mystery of a disappearing mother, the discovery of magic and other worlds, and a curse driving characters into action. With many forces acting to drive the narrative, Creeping Shadow by Caroline Peckham is an action-packed, quick-paced story that follows two young adults on a journey of self-discovery and solution finding.

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website: http://makinggoodstories.wordpress.com/.

Oliver Knight and his adoptive sister May come home after school one day to fi
Marian Thorpe
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Creeping Shadow is a young-adult fantasy by indie writer Caroline Peckham. Building on some of the best traditions of British children's and young-adult writing, the story caught my imagination from the first pages and held it throughout the book.

It is truly difficult to find new ways to address themes and memes in young-adult writing. Some of my appreciation of Creeping Shadow almost certainly stemmed from the fact it was 'familiar': the opening events and settings, which have elements reminisc
Suzanne
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book starts out with some mystery which brings you right in. Then we move forward a decade and things slow down a bit. Because it’s a fantasy novel, an entire world has to be set up so all the exposition is necessary to paint the picture but not always the most exciting.
After they went into Aleva and especially once they entered the race things really got going. I really enjoyed the challenges. They were unique and suspenseful and once I got into the race I couldn’t put it down until the fi
Samantha
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I want to give thanks to the author for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a review, thank you so much.

I have to say, it was very interesting, something new and very captivating.

It’s descriptive, I almost felt like I was watching a TV show. I can’t remember which review I said that in, and it wasn’t meant as a good thing but, I feel different about this one. Feeling like I was watching a show worked for this story.

The writing was pretty good as well, the only problem I h
Rachel Svendsen
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reader’s copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Siblings Oliver and May Knight find themselves moving in with a grandfather they’ve never met, after their mother’s strange disappearance. As they look for clues to their mother’s wereabouts, they end up finding that their grandfather is a mage and that Earth is one of seven existing worlds. One night, May is attacked in her sleep. A deadly curse cast over her sends both of them on an adventure into new worlds the
Helen  Graham
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great

Absolutely loved this book,enjoyable read,couldn't put the book down until I finished it,I'm so looking forward to reading part two
Jim Peacock
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Child to adult, anybody who enjoys a tale of classic adventure.
How refreshing to read a story with siblings who act like siblings! Oliver and May, our protagonists, are written in eminently believable fashion. They are not plagued by the common sense errors and foolish decisions that seem to affect teen characters in most young adult fiction. As a result Peckham doesn't resort to MacGuffins to advance her story and you never want to thump the characters to wake them up.

Peckham blends magic and sci-fi to create a rich fantasy world. She quickly establishes a
Catherine Griffin
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
A very entertaining and readable young adult adventure.

When their mother mysteriously disappears, 16-year-old Oliver and his adopted sister May are sent to stay with a grandfather they’ve never met. Grandad has a lot of secrets which he’d rather keep from them, but when May’s life is threatened by black magic, he reveals he’s a mage who controls a gateway which connects Earth to other worlds. Worlds they must travel to, to save May’s life.

Very readable throughout with few editing errors, this is
Teresa
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Received an advance reader copy from the author in exchange for a honest review. I loved Creeping Shadow and cannot wait to read the next book in the series. It was great getting to know Oliver, May, Rogan, Quinn, Anna, Laura, and Ely. Creeping Shadow is The Hunger Games with a fantasy twist. I work in a high school and Creeping Shadow will definitely be on my list of books to buy for class in December when released. The challenges that the teams have to endure for a key to get to Brinatin in or ...more
Lindsey
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great first book of what is shaping up to be a very interesting and action driven series. Peckham raises the stakes with each chapter as the characters navigate their way through a vivid world that is both familiar and strange. A unique fantasy series with dynamic characters and a solid and terrifying mystery at its core. Definitely recommend this book!
A.B. Shepherd
Interesting story. The author uses the archaic choice of "span" as a past tense of "spin", which is annoying especially considering the many, MANY times it is used, but if you get past that it's an enjoyable book. Enough so that I immediately bought the second.
Raven Vira
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. New worlds and concepts are introduced, all centered on the characters' determination to make things right. Peckham's novel is a wonderful addition to fantasy books everywhere, and I am eager to see how she expands on her new worlds in upcoming books.
Mattea
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so intense, I love it

5 stars, and one of the best books I have ever read. I enjoyed the plot twists. Good Joe Caroline
Abigail
Nov 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
I don't want to have to wait for this....boooooooo!
Jurgen K Deagle
Sep 02, 2016
Michael K Walker
Oct 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Kindle Unlimited ...: Creeping Shadow by Caroline Peckham 1 4 Jan 15, 2016 07:19AM

• Fire (Dreams of Fire and Gods, #2)
  • Fairy
  • Wild Summer (Love Story Universe)
  • As the Snow Falls - Vol. 1 (The Muse, #1)
  • Going the Distance (Fadeaway, #1)
  • See (Ripples In The Water, #1)
  • Fractured Worlds: Ten YA Dystopian Novels
  • Storm Mistress (Others of Seattle, #2)
  • January Dreams
  • Foxworth Academy
  • Alex & Drew
  • Red Death
  • Joshua's Island (James Madison, #1)
  • May Contain Magic (Found Magic #1)
  • Scales and Legends (The Merworld Trilogy #3)
  • Seeds of Foreverland (Foreverland, #0.5)
  • Broken Glass
  • Hideous
Caroline Peckham is the bestselling author of The Vampire Games Series, The Age of Vampires Saga, The Rise of Isaac Series and the Forbidden Fairytales Series.

She'd love for you to come join her reader group on Facebook where you can get your hands on advanced copies of the books plus chat with readers and enter giveaways.

Caroline lives in the south east Eng

The Rise of Isaac (5 books)
  • Bleeding Snow (The Rise of Isaac, #2)
  • Turning Tide (The Rise of Isaac, #3)
  • Weeping Sky (The Rise of Isaac, #4)
  • Failing Light (The Rise of Isaac, #5)
“Alison” 0 likes