Start by marking “The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man (Ruddy McCann, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man (Ruddy McCann, #1)

The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man

(Ruddy McCann #1)

Ruddy McCann, former college football star, has experienced a seismic drop in popularity; he is now Kalkaska, Michigans full-time repo man and part-time bar bouncer. His best friend is his low-energy Basset hound Jake, with whom he shares a simple life of stealing cars.
Audiobook, Unabridged, 11 pages
Published January 2nd 2015 by MacMillan Audio (first published September 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

This book is so much fun.
Ruddy McCann was an all star football player destined for greatness in the big leagues..then a bad thing happened and he ended up as a repo man and part time bouncer in his co-owner bar.
The man has some crap luck..between getting his arse kicked during a repo by a goose named Doris.

He starts hearing what at first he thinks is the stuffed bear in the bar's voice..........

As it turns out somehow a dead realtor named Alan has ended up in his head. Alan wants Ru
Melki
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melki by: Jaye
description

Ruddy McCann's life was pretty sucky even before he started hearing a voice in his head. Since that career in the NFL thing didn't pan out, he's been working as a repo man and bouncer in his sister's bar. He didn't think it was possible, but things are going to get a whole lot worse.

The voice - who is it? What does it want?

Turns out, the voice has a name - Alan, and he's not any happier about the situation than Ruddy. As he astutely observes, "I'm a man trapped in a man's body."

This, of course
Mike French
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Pamela
Thank you Pamela for the recommendation. I loved the quirks of this story. Different than any book I can recall reading before. Kept me interested from start to the finish! So far this my favorite book that I read in 2015. Took me longer than normal to read,because I only could get in small print and my tired,old eyes need bright light which I don't have at home! I highly recommend this book if you have a quirky sense of humor!
Linda Johnson
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder, mystery, romance and throw in a lovable lazy dog and a stuffed bear and you have The Midnight Plan of The Repo Man! I especially enjoyed the small town setting and local characters! I really hope there is a sequel and definitely look forward to reading more from W. Bruce Cameron!
Brian
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book, which came as a total surprise to me. It was up there as one of the best books I read this year. The plot is pretty odd: our main character, Ruddy, is a repo man who deals with some unsavory characters. He gives a lot of his earnings to the family bar that he and his sister Becky inherited after their parents passed away. One night, while in said bar, he begins to hear a voice in his head. The voice of a man named Alan who claims he was murdered. Ruddy decides to fi ...more
Rose
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book based on title alone. I just had a feeling about it. I wish I was as lucky with lotto tickets.

Ruddy is a repo man in a small town. His sister owns the local bar & grill where he also works as a bouncer. After a very vivid dream, Ruddy discovers he has a voice in his head. Not an inner dialogue but the voice of a murder victim. This voice ultimately gets him to discover what happened and who killed him.

It sounds far fetched when I tell it but it worked perfectly in the sto
Allen Adams
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The hero’s journey is one of the oldest stories that we tell. There have been endless variations on that theme; a multitude of takes on the idea. And yet, so many storytellers find ways to keep that seemingly ageless idea fresh.

Introducing a flawed hero into the equation is one way to do it. Finding a way to put a kink in the paths usually traveled is another. And if you can do both, well…then you’ve got something interesting.

That’s what W. Bruce Cameron h
Pamela
Uber Awesome!!! The Midnight Plan of the REPO MAN: A fun, delightfully unique mystery ride. This is one of those zany-good drama/action/mysteries, if my pockets were lined with a plethora of green I’d buy oodles of copies to hand out to folks in need of a lift from the doldrums.

Ruddy McCann is a character whom I’d love to have as a friend. He’s a down-to-earth affable guy who is patient with his quirky friends, long-suffering with his love-forlorn sister, and calculatingly sly boosting repos an
Wart Hill
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc2014
Read this and other reviews at Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

Ruddy McCann, Repo Man (not as in Repo the Genetic Opera, but as in “You did not make the payments for that you do not get to keep it”), has a strange dream. In this dream, he gets killed. When he wakes up, he puts it out of his mind. Until he starts hearing a voice in his head. Initially, he just chalks it up to going crazy, but it turns out that voice is the voice of the man who died, one Alan Lottner
Phillis
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I read two of Cameron's other books, (A Dog's Journey, A Dog's Purpose), and liked both, I thought I would read this one. I certainly am glad I did. I really like the story line, the characters, and the some what humorous tale of the Repo Man. It starts out simple enough with Ruddy McCann trying to make a living stealing other peoples vehicles in the middle of the night. He strictly works on commission to the lien holders of said vehicles. Some repos give him more trouble than others. Take ...more
Lynn
Full review at Smoke & Mirrors: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... Excellent book! Great mystery! Nice little romance! Like Bruce, I will use as many exclamation points as I wish!! (From the acknowledgements section... :)) Ooh, the bad guys were really bad! There is a sequel in the works, too! I like Ruddy. I really liked Alan. Albert Einstein Croft and Doris! That was something similar to what I might find in a Stephanie Plum novel! :)

Cameron's humor appears throughout and really hei
Kate Ayers
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for absolute fun. Ruddy McCann, fallen football star, disappointment to his family and not real proud of himself, is eking out a living towing away bank repos. Unsurprisingly, he has to be quite creative in his tactics, since people who possess cars they quit paying for tend to be less than cooperative about giving them back. As if things are bleak enough for Ruddy, he starts hearing voices in his head. No, make that just one voice. And the voice has a name. Alan. Alan claims to have ...more
Aisling
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GO GET THIS BOOK! I loved it. A likeable, funny hero, heart pounding action, and surprisingly tender romance. One very unusual element (no spoilers) adds to a well plotted and multi faceted mystery. Just a highly enjoyable book by a great writer. I had picked up a second unrelated book by this author (the Dog Master) and began it the minute I finished this one...and ended up staying up waaay too late reading. Apparently I have found a new favorite author. And the movie based on his book A Dog's ...more
Bunny Sheperd
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book. So funny and a true page turner. The characters seemed so real, and though it made me laugh out loud, I also found it deeply touching, especially the part where the father gets to hold his daughter. I won't plot spoil and say more than that but it was just beautiful. I love this writer and I love that he's in a new genre. There's a dog, so I was happy. It's perfect! Can't wait for this to be a series! This replaces Carl Hiassen for me, whom I loved, until he kept writing the sam ...more
Danny Stevens
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man I loved this book. I heard it was funny but people always say that and then I never laugh out loud even once. I laughed a TON at this, and was totally caught up in the story and the characters. Totally recommend this one and I'm in for the series, because I like to read that way. Jack Reacher is my favorite hero of these kinds of books, but I have to say, Ruddy McCann the Repo Man might give Jack a run for his money, because Jack isn't funny, and Ruddy is!
Rhonda
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I work in a public library and books I want and hope to read someday are always coming across my desk. On a whim I took this one home and, boy oh boy, what a find. This book was great...an easy and quick read, I wasn't ready for it to end. A refreshing mystery with a little family and romance thrown in...oh and don't forget Jake the dog!
Debbie
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to read a funny suspense novel full of quirky, on the edge, good people characters, full of twists and turns,and you can't put it down? Read this! What a joy to read and so different from The Dog Master, which I also loved. Apparently, a sequel is planned, which is great news.
Kaylie
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man is the perfect rainy day book. It’s filled with an odd cast of characters, dry humor, irony, cute romance, and packed with action. In my two sittings of reading, I burst out laughing multiple times.

Ruddy McCann’s the star of the show. A former football player with high hopes for NFL fame, his life comes crashing down after an accident. His dreams of stardom evaporate, and he’s stuck in the middle of nowhere, Michigan, as a repo man/bouncer for his sister Becky’
Karen
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How fun to find a recreational read that grabs the best elements from Carl Hiaasen for his nutty socially challenged characters; Michael Connelly for his down-on-his-prospects persona-as-protagonist; Garth Stein for giving a dog a porthole view of our self-deprecating character (albeit not in dog-speak); and even Tom Robbins for back/foreground characters like a stuffed bear, a guard goose and not least of all, a central character who is only alive in someone's head.

If you enjoy any of those aut
Dana Glossbrenner
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the warmest and most engaging and laugh-out-loud-funny books I've read since I don't know when. Main character Ruddy (short for Ruddick) is a former college football player who was on the verge of a Heismann Trophy before fortune flopped on him and he winds up being a bouncer in his sister's bar when he's not skulking about the woods looking for ways to earn bucks by towing away vehicles for the finance company. When he begins to hear a voice in his head, and that voice introduces himsel ...more
Deanne
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off quite funny in a dry humor sort of way. Then got a little slow. Then picked back up again. I enjoyed the clever way multiple storylines were woven together. The mystery was easy to figure out. No F-bombs. Good narrator for the audio version.
Rosey
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought this is silly, then It became comical. The author was a repo man before he started writing, what a career change!
Amber
This book was extremely hard to get into. The narrative kept getting ahead of the plot, creating tensions that couldn't have existed quite yet, which just made it confusing. For example, Ruddy would pull really strange pranks on Alan, but Alan hadn't been around long enough to be either a nuisance or be missed when he initially was "asleep".

There was too much put into subpar characters and the whole book just didn't feel believable. I don't feel the ending was satisfactory and Alan's death (sec
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
There were so many things I loved about this book, I really don't know where to start. First of all, the story was great. Ruddy is a down on his luck repo man and part-time bouncer at the family bar. Murphy's Law could use Ruddy as a poster child. Throughout the book, he gets into all kinds of predicaments, including waking one day with the voice of Alan, a man who died 8 years ago, in his head. This books is mainly about solving Alan's murder, and Ruddy spends a large part of the book wondering ...more
Susan (aka Just My Op)
I have a soft spot for characters who are screw-ups with good hearts, and Ruddy (like the complexion) is exactly that. And he repossesses cars for a living, an occupation no one holds in high esteem. (As an aside, I never understood the contempt for repo men. You promise to pay for a car, you don't pay, you don't return it, it gets taken away. What is so nefarious about that?)

This story by W. Bruce Cameron, the author of A Dog's Purpose among other books, is entertaining and mostly fluffy with a
Bob
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just okay!

Having liked The Dogs Of Christmas and loved Emory's Gift, and after considering A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Journey to be two of my all-time favorite books, I was really looking forward to reading W. Bruce Cameron's latest book, The Midnight Plan Of The Repo Man.

Bottom line for me is that while this book has an entertaining plot with a decent amount of humor, along with a good number of entertaining, albeit, quirky characters, it had nothing about it to make me consider it to be anyth
Sandy Lenahan
I read every page of the book I'm reading, I have to I'm a nerd. All I can say is thank goodness I do otherwise this review would have been full of outrage!

The story should not have ended with so many unanswered questions but after reading the acknowledgements I know there will be future Repo Man books to fill in the blanks - happiness and joy! Now it's just a question of when : )

The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man is full of Cameron's trademark wit and well written characters.

Alan has got to be
Jamie Collins
3.5 stars. This was a lot of fun, even though the dog didn’t feature as much as I expected him to. I’ve never read anything by this author before, and I was pleasantly surprised. This is decidedly heartwarming, but it’s also funny and suspenseful.

It’s more of a comedic crime novel than a murder mystery. Ruddy’s repo man adventures are slightly reminiscent of Stephanie Plum’s bail bond escapades, except that Ruddy is actually pretty good at his job. The voice in Ruddy’s head is the single fantasy
Kat Gilmore
Good book.. I read it on long weekend on a Sunday night in 4 hours. I liked it. The story was fun and quirky with a mystery. The main character is a mess in a real way, not in the disheveled leading guy way, but in a real, not terribly charming, life falling apart, towing a line between doing the right thing and knowing the right thing. I like his odd sense of ethics and I felt safe that nothing ridiculous would befall him. In a book that is refreshing. The author walks the character along throu ...more
Toni McKilligan
I'm giving this book three stars because while it was good, it could have been way better. The concept had so much potential, but Cameron didn't quite pull it off. Ruddy is a repo man who finds himself hearing the voice of a dead man in his head. Right there is the enormous potential that this story possesses. And if the author had concentrated on that instead of filling up pages with redundancies and complications that had no ultimate bearing on the story, he would have nailed it. Still, it was ...more
Has anyone read this authors? 3 7 Apr 28, 2018 06:26PM
2017 Reading Chal...: The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man 1 23 Feb 03, 2015 05:45PM

• Highfell Grimoires
  • Thale's Folly
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • Bulu: African Wonder Dog
  • Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not exactly) Family Jewels (Bobbie Faye, #2)
  • Biting the Moon (Andi Oliver, #1)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #5)
  • The Table of Less Valued Knights
  • The Player (Carter Ross, #5)
  • Montana (Lola Wicks, #1)
  • The Question of the Unfamiliar Husband (An Asperger's Mystery, #2)
  • The Zippity Zinger
  • I Thought You Were Dead
  • Walking the Labryinth
  • Gone and Done It (Dreamwalker, #1)
  • Rabid
  • Wild Pitch
  • Ah, Treachery!
I’ve always loved dogs, which puts me in a unique category along with what, maybe two or three billion people?

What’s not to love about an animal who will sit in your living room all day long, waiting for you to get home, and even if you need to work late and then stop for a stress-relieving beverage on your way home, when you unlock that front door, is absolutely overjoyed to see you? How could yo

Ruddy McCann (3 books)
  • The Midnight Dog of the Repo Man (Ruddy McCann #0.5)
  • Repo Madness (Ruddy McCann #2)
“his T-shirt had words printed on it, so he was probably the brains of the outfit.” 0 likes
“I just woke up by the side of the road in the dark like I’d been dumped there by the Mafia, but you take your time explaining, that’s fine with me.” 0 likes