Start by marking “Teaching and Learning Stem: A Practical Guide” as Want to Read:
Teaching and Learning Stem: A Practical Guide

Teaching and Learning Stem: A Practical Guide

Rethink traditional teaching methods to improve student learning and retention in STEM

Educational research has repeatedly shown that compared to traditional teacher-centered instruction, certain learner-centered methods lead to improved learning outcomes, greater development of critical high-level skills, and increased retention in science, technology, engineering, and ma
Published February 22nd 2016 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Teaching and Learning Stem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching and Learning Stem

Start your review of Teaching and Learning Stem: A Practical Guide
Anna
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive, informative, and inspiring. This was the best review of a semester-long course in teaching STEM that I could've hoped for. I marked my copy up and will surely refer to it often in the coming years.
Kadri
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very useful in both the teaching and learning aspects. From the teaching side of things it has a lot of ideas and methods on how to make STEM courses and classes more engaging and less conducive to falling asleep (but that's just from some of my personal experience).

From the learning side, it gives a lot of insight into what knowledge or skills are actually required and provided in a course and how to see whether what you're asked to do on a test is really what has been taught
☼Professional Thorn☼

~review copy

So much has been written about STEM teaching and learning in the last decade or so that I was actually expecting this book to be about lower grades and not teaching at the college level. And not that high school teachers of all stripes can't learn from this book, it just surprised me to find that college professors had still not jumped on board.

The umbrella approach of this book is to emphasis Learning-Centered techniques, and to give you good reasons for why they work for more stude
Mike Bright
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book lives up to its title - it has lots of practical tips for teaching in science and engineering. I read several books earlier about the theory and psychology of teaching, and this text is a natural follow-on to put meat on the theoretical bones. Note this text has lots of references to relevant literature and is firmly based on research, but it is all about application.

I was pleased to see I am already using a number of these techniques in my classroom, but am challenged that I should be
Wiebke Kuhn
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If yo are interested in teaching and learning, then you may not find that this book brings you that much new knowledge; however, it does, I believe, do a great job in clearly outlining how particularly higher education STEM faculty can make small and large changes to their classes to encourage deeper learning for all students, including the practice of professional skills (a.k.a soft skills) that too often are negleced on the track to Engineering and Medicine.
The specific examples, clear lists,
Cedric Sirianni
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a student who is also interested in teaching, I found this book to be an invaluable resource. The content is both detailed and accessible, and the authors substantiate their claims with a plethora of studies. In my opinion, this book should be referred to repeatedly throughout the teaching process, not just read once and then left on the shelf. I highly recommend it for any educator, including those not in the STEM field.
Niklas Braun
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply an excellent resource for an educator. This is a required text for a class I'm taking on engineering education, but I blew through it in a week. It has so much good stuff in it and is very well written. I will keep this for reference.
Kyle
Jan 01, 2017
Kathryn Neel
Jul 01, 2018

• The Abolition of Man
  • Whatever Happened to the Gospel of Grace?: Recovering the Doctrines That Shook the World
  • Beyond Personality: The Christian Idea of God
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
  • The Sirens of Titan
  • Learning to Improve: How America’s Schools Can Get Better at Getting Better
  • The Headspace Guide to Meditation & Mindfulness
  • Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One
  • Telling Ain't Training
  • The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
  • Learning Theories Simplified: ...and How to Apply Them to Teaching
  • The Art of Statistics: How to Learn from Data
  • Economics: The User's Guide
  • The Night Manager
  • Think Again: How to Reason and Argue
  • Encountering China: Michael Sandel and Chinese Philosophy
  • Awk-Weird (Ice Knights, #2)
  • Reflections on the Artist's Way