Start by marking “John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night” as Want to Read:
John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night

John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night

(John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night #1)

From John Carpenter, the man who brought you the cult classic horror film Halloween and all of the scares beyond comes the ultimate graphic novel anthology of tales to warm your toes by on a dark and stormy October night! Carpenter brings together storytellers from the worlds of movies, novels and comics for a collection of tales featuring graveyards, sunken ships, creepy ...more
Published November 17th 2015 by Storm King Productions (first published October 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night

Start your review of John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was so disappointing and tremendous levels of boring, sadly. None of the stories are particularly creepy, which would be fine if they weren't also so unimaginative and predictable. It's one of those collections that I think would've never drawn anyone's attention if it didn't have such a big name tied to it, which is always really unfortunate. I have volume 2 out from the library as well right now so I may try flipping through it to see if it gets any better than this one did, but if I ...more
Quentin Wallace
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I'm not sure how I missed this when it was first released because I always watch out for books like this. It's a comic horror anthology with many different themes and varying art styles. Overall it's very enjoyable with nothing being great but nothing being bad either. If you enjoy horror anthology comics I can't you see you being disappointed with this one as I'm sure at least a few of the stories will appeal to you. I will be trying out the other volumes for sure.
Gary Smith
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
That was fun, and quick. First "graphic novel"/"comic book style" read. I enjoyed it. A collection of short stories with comic book style illustrations to go with the story lines. Can't complain about Mr. John Carpenter either, love his work on screen and on paper!
David Veith
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3.0 Eh, ok ready, 6 stories, only really one good one, other 5 just ok. Each story either had ok writing with good graphics, or other way around, none were both though.
Syon Das
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
-A decent horror anthology by one of the genre's legends, John Carpenter.
-I thoroughly enjoyed the last three of the six stories more than the first three, which lacked a good amount of originality honestly.
-For all six stories, hands down, this is some of the best comic artwork I've ever seen. Some of the pages are good enough to stare at for hours. The art seems to get progressively better with each story as well, although that is more of a subjective opinion on style than a fact.
-Overall,
Mark
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I liked some of the stories in here, but after a particularly strong first selection from Carpenter, the rest really tapers off in quality. I was particularly disappointed by the wraparound segments - usually a spot for quality artists to play with a gruesome narrator (think EC comics, Creepy and Eerie), the segments here were the same static page with an awkward combination of narration and descriptions of spooky scenes - a pretty lame method for a comic. And advertising Steve Niles and Tim ...more
Patrick
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was one creepy ass book...there's nothing else I can say about it.
Drew Wheeler
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty typical horror anthology. Without JC's name, no one would take much notice. Still, the tales are entertaining.
Michael J.
Searching through the long boxes for some appropriate reading on Samhain eve, I found the perfect choice. This selection is also timely because it follows the news that Tales For A Halloween Night is a planned television series for the SyFy Channel. I had so much fun reading this collection, I just may have to search out some more Halloween scary tales to share . . . . .

This is a dream assembly of creators. The stories meet expectations for chills and thrills and are different enough that none
Paul Brown
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Six unoriginal, uninteresting and not remotely scary stories with a lazy wraparound story involving the same illustration of a gravedigger reprinted several times. John Carpenter’s involvement is obviously a big selling point but even his contribution is instantly forgettable. In all fairness a couple of the stories are well illustrated but overall this is a slim, sloppy and amateurish horror comic collection.
Jessica
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been in a reading slump lately, so this was a much needed, quick and easy read. A couple of the stories were lame and it seems editors are getting more and more lazy lately. Lots of spelling and grammatical errors and the stories could have been a bit longer. But overall, I enjoyed it. Some of the stories had great art and one in particular stands out to me the most. It would make a great new series.
Jennifer Jones
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t really care for the stories here...sad, I was expecting something amazing.
Fraser Burnett
Sep 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Pretty goddamn poor. One decent tale.
Justine Giddings

• Elvira: The Shape of Elvira #1
  • Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark #4
  • Elvira: The Shape of Elvira #2
  • Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark #1
  • Black Widow (2019) #2 (of 5)
  • Ziggy Pig - Silly Seal Comics (2019) #1
  • When I Arrived at the Castle
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 1
  • Infidel
  • Stranger Things #3
  • Stranger Things #4
John Howard Carpenter is an American film director, screenwriter, producer, editor and composer. Although Carpenter has worked in numerous film genres, he is most commonly associated with horror and science fiction films from the 1970s and 1980s.

Numerous films in Carpenter's career were critical and commercial failures, with the notable exceptions of Halloween (1978) and Escape from New York

John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night (5 books)
  • John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloween Night, Volume 2