Start by marking “The Antagonists: Book One” as Want to Read:
The Antagonists: Book One

The Antagonists: Book One

Minerva Banks' entire life has been one large battle. When she was younger, she had wanted to harness her fighting skills by joining The Quartet - New Quartz City's finest superhero team. She had been young. Her head had been filled with dreams. Now she's a graduate student with a head filled with anxieties. And yet, there's still a small part of her that longs to join The ...more
Published September 12th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Antagonists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Antagonists

Jess
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and sweet

This book features some of the faults of new self-published authors: a few spelling errors, occasionally rough or stiff writing, and underdeveloped minor characters. But it excels far beyond these minor complaints: The story is immediately engaging and deeply endearing, Minerva is well-developed and well-balanced, and the plot features just enough surprises and plenty of heart-warming moments. A recommended book for absolutely any reader.
Lizzie
Overall feelings?

description

"Everyone has the potential to do something amazing."

That quote pretty much sums up this brilliant book! It was everything I could have ever wanted; the 'superhero' team really being the bad guys, a woman in a wheelchair proving to herself and to everyone else that she can be a hero, a platonic friendship between a heterosexual man and woman, immortals who trained under Merlin... all jam-packed into this short book! (Which I read in one evening... couldn't put it down!)

Nothing w
Nina Bjørnsen
This book is amazing and totally worth the read.
Minnie is such an awesome main character and Victor is just such a dork and adorable and badass (minnie's badass too) and I don't think I'll ever be over this book.

Im sure a lot of people already knows about this or posted about it but I don't care I'm telling the story too
So the author made a post on Tumblr about how she wanted to write a book about a girl in a wheelchair who was a really big fan of the superhero group in her city. One day she
SR
Okay, this is adorable and brilliant - it started with a Tumblr post about disability politics and the racism, sexism, and ableism inherent in superhero fiction and comics, and then the author of the Tumblr post went and freaking wrote it. Minnie is a wonderful heroine, and the first I could relate to regarding medical history. (My mobility impairments come and go, and I haven't yet needed mobility aids like canes or a wheelchair, but knowing a hospital like the back of my hand is AWFULLY famili ...more
Katie
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism
Felt like a big squishy hug

I adored this book. While it often dipped into being slightly cheesy, it had a great plot, adorable characters, and really made a great point. I'm looking forward to any sequels.
Casey
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely magical

I really loved this book, it was totally bombin, Absolutely radical. :) 10/10 would recommend to every person on the planet
Flora Nogrady
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Aaaah. Just finished this. I hope there's a sequel! ...and I hope I can get notified if there ever is one.

As a few others have said, this could really use some revision, in grammar and style. I'm not fond of the excessive exclamation marks in the narration, though since that's supposed to be Minnie's thoughts largely, I suppose I could just take it that she's excitable. There's a missing letter or word here and there, and some ambiguous phrasing, but nothing awful. The style is a little on-the-
Nicole Craswell
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic new take on the classic superhero tale with a wonderfully diverse cast of characters. This was uplifting and funny and just all around charming. I can't wait to read about Minnie and Victor's next adventure!
Joe ST
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
FRICKETYFRACKING CUTE AS FRACK

(disclaimer: I don't know but it seems to be) GOOD REPRESENTATION surrounded by cute story and interesting setting

very much a book to read
Jayne Scott
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book, was amazing.

While there was the occasional spelling flaw, it was wonderful.

I hope to read more in the near future! I couldn't put it down once I started.
Priya Sridhar
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Books like this make me appreciate the writers on Tumblr. There was a post summarizing the plot, with the author then linking to a copy of the book's Kindle edition. I had to buy, read and appreciate. This was five-star worthy.
The Antagonists features a heroine named Minerva who is studying for her doctorate in psychology despite a huge amount of student debt and wants to join the local superhero group the Prism Quartet; when the chance arises she manages to knock down their archnemesis Victor
Ariana Deralte
I believe the best description of this book would be awesome idea, poor execution. Minnie is a great character. I love how resourceful she is and that she never gives up. It was very refreshing to read a book with a disabled main character who wasn't trying to be cured. It was also quite cute that Victor obviously adored her. However, this book is only just readable in terms of writing. There are massive info dumps where the author obviously had no idea how to integrate the information organical ...more
Eoui
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
While the writing is obviously from a first time self-published author, the characters and heart of the story make up for it. Minnie inspires strength and courage, not because she's in a wheelchair, but because she does things that others say she can't. All the main cast come off as very real characters.

The plot is simple but enjoyable. The dialogue both serious and genuinely funny when the mood calls for it. The world is interesting, leaving lots of room for more creativity in future works. Th
Gabrielle
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
There was a good idea here, but the execution leaves a great deal to be desired. It sorely needs a good editor for things ranging from typos and a check on severely overused exclamation points to painfully stilted and unbelievable dialogue. There were clearly some nuggets of good ideas, but if it hadn't been a very short and fast read I wouldn't have been able to finish it. I would like to see what this author could do with a few more years of writing experience, some decent feedback, and tough ...more
Ari
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disability-lit
I had many of the same troubles with this book as the other people have had: an overuse of exclamation marks, clunky writing, underdeveloped and cliche characters, etc. Overall, I felt there was very little subtlety - not to the message, or to the plot. I read this because I really enjoyed The Defectives, and you can really see the development of the author's style between this earlier book and The Defectives. I'm proud of them for that. But I wouldn't say this book is worth reading.
jennybek
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2015
Very engaging story

I really like the main character, Minnie. She is smart and strong. I would like to read more of this series. My son asked for this book and thought I would like it as well. While there were places that I felt could use an editor, the story was strong enough to keep me interested. I enjoyed this work and hope to see more from this author.
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Lovely ideas, really good. The writing does need improvement (the main thing that got under my skin a bit was the overuse of exclamation marks) but I can't wait to see how the author grows and improves. Loads of potential.
Melissa Sasina
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Antagonist introduces us to Minnie, a black woman with Spina bifida. All she wants to do is be of use to her heroes, but once she meets them face to face, she learns something most unfortunate about them. (I won't go into details, because spoilers).

A small bit of backstory first: I first discovered this book through posts shared on tumblr. After my husband also found it and read it, he kept suggesting it to me. I finally broke down and decided to read it. And wow, what a nice and refreshing
CJ
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'll say this: The author is earnest. But it's not written well.

Minnie is in a wheelchair, but we never find out why. Not that that's necessary, but it could shed some light on how she's able to "leap up" when maneuvering on her knees alone, sans wheelchair.

The plot was overly simplistic, and it seems to have been a rushed writing process. This story was better in its original format of a two-paragraph writing prompt on tumblr.

Also, the author uses far too many exclamation points! So many undram
Magne Bachmann
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This is one of those self-published books that really deserve to go through the traditional mode of publishing. The author has amazing potential and insight how to representation characters meaningfully and portray disability, struggles, sexuality, and difficulties that arise alongside being in a disadvantaged position.
However, that is no substitute for an editor.
A lot of the scenes felt rushed, and they appeared more as a recounting of events than a story. There was no build up or development.
Klary
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were typos and grammar mistakes, but it didn’t stop this book from being great. It moved a little too quickly—to the point where the relationships between the characters advanced faster than mine did with the protagonist—but the story was a good one and every character in there was entirely individual. A great book in general, but I wish it had enough details to properly take me into the world. The representation was extraordinary; and although I didn’t exactly find myself in any of the ch ...more
Carly
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was based off of a tumblr post where a 'wouldn't it be cool if...' became popular, and then the author turned that into a book. And the best thing that this book has going for it is the idea. But instead of taking a cool idea and turning it into a well-developed story, this just reads like many, many thousand words more of someone talking about an idea. The characters and plot are thin and lack nuance. And whenever the story needed to convey information to the reader, it was just info ...more
Tristan A.
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. It's an interesting new take on the old superhero stuff, wherein the people the city thinks are superheroes are actually the villains, and the "villains" are the good guys. I also love how the black woman in a wheelchair becomes a genuine hero without being "cured," or given some kind of robotic suit or anything, she just uses her wits to save the day. In fact, the one guy who suggests "curing" her with magic turns o ...more
Marlene Willinger
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!!

Yes, the writing was a little stiff and from time to time things felt a little cliché but the story and the characters where just so heartwarming the rest didn’t matter that much. I love Minnie (and Victor) and i‘m so so so glad I saw that tumblr Post talking about this book!!!
I think it is like the author said: the need for representation was bigger than the need for perfection!

This was absolutely sweet and a really great read!! I can’t wait to read the next book
Kalamos
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
the writing style is surely something to get used to, but if you're able to look past that (or even enjoy it), this is such a nice read. it's funny! it's fast-paced! it has superheroes! it feels fresh and new!
i'm really looking forward to how the series continues and i haven't experienced that feeling in a long while.
Alayna
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-this, read-2017
What happens when the "bad guy" is better than the "good guys"? The Antagonists explores that, as well as some of the very real challenges the disabled deal with day-to-day.

This book was an interesting start to what I hope will be a great series. It's far from perfect, but it has some nice elements, and I will probably pick up book two when I get a chance.
Leslie Marie
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the story. The plot is unique and the characters are amazing and have many layers to them. The book is relatively short though and there are a lot of writing errors but it’s not a professionally published story so I don’t mind much. Still worth reading. I’m buying the other books in the series as well because I’m now invested.
Greta
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was a quick read, and enjoyable, but I can't exactly recommend it. It was a bit blunt and simple, and was definitely leading into another book, so I'd have to reading further into the series to see if the writing improves (which I'm quite sure it will/did).
Amber
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Original and innovative!

This book goes beyond the stale and predictable stories that is found in every other novel. The characters are so well written and are real and relatable. The plot is exciting and new, refreshingly so! A great read!
Evelyn E Hart
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Enjoyed this book immediately, shows strength where one wouldn’t have it. BRAVO - too am disabled and was inspired. Our hero didn’t think she could attain her greatness and she did!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Planet of the Blind
  • No Pity: People with Disabilities Forging a New Civil Rights Movement
  • Loud Hands: Autistic People, Speaking
  • Dark Warrior Rising (A Novel of Niflheim, #1)
  • The Ugly Laws: Disability in Public
  • Ripples (The Guardian #1)
  • Marked by Fire
  • T4
  • The Disability Studies Reader
  • The Sidhe (The Heart of All Worlds, #1)
  • Nothing Is Right
  • Simple Simon (Art Jefferson, #4)
  • Valhalla (Valhalla, #1)
  • Reasonable People
  • Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate: A User Guide to an Asperger Life
  • Glyph (Legacy, #1)
  • A Disability History of the United States
  • Ariel's Demise (A Bittersweet Fairytale, #1)
“I mean,” Minnie continued, “I don’t have a problem with anyone who has a disability and wants to find a cure. But I’m good.” “Don’t you get it?” Flexis argued, “I’m giving you the chance to be normal!” “Your definition of normal severely contradicts mine,” Minnie quietly said. Victor’s” 0 likes