Start by marking “Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas” as Want to Read:
Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas

Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas

‘Hey there guys. Would you like a banana?’
‘What’s wrong with you, Brian? You’re a piranha.’

Brian loves bananas. Trouble is, Brian’s a piranha. And his friends aren’t happy about his fondness for fruit...
Published September 1st 2015 by Scholastic Australia

Start your review of Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas
Meags
4 Stars

I laughed harder than my students, and they were laughing pretty damn hard! So either I'm extremely juvenile or this was hilarious.
Karina
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in Spanish-- it was translated in the Spanish Spain which was interesting for me.

This was a pretty looking illustrated story. A piranha who introduces the other piranhas to fruits but they say they only like toes, knees, and butts to bite on even when they try the fruit.

The beginning of the story had an introduction with the definition the word piranha and it said they only eat mean kids, accountants, kids that dance ballet, nice kids and so on so that was funny...
Shallowreader VaVeros
This book is awesome! It's funny, it has fruit, it rhymes and it has the word Bum in it. What more does a child need!
Tatiana
A bum (aka a butt) makes any kids' book a hit.
Scottsdale Public Library
Who knew a piranha could be cute? Brian's not your typical piranha. He's actually adorable and loves fruit. Can he convince his friends that fruit and veggies are the way to go? You'll have to read this wonderful book with bright illustrations and...yes...cute piranhas to find out. - Jen K.
Lisa
Not my favourite, but the reveal of the bum to the kids is just classic.
Amanda
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my co-workers brought this over to me to read when I was super-sad, and she shoved it into my hands, and said, "Read this." I giggled. The bum made me giggle. Thank you Blabey for cheering me up during a tough time in my life. And thank you, Amanda R. for being there.
Pooja
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
You can never know what others don't know. For example, how about meeting a Piranha who doesn't know that Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas?

You get to meet that Piranha here. So is it true that they don't eat bananas or were we misinformed and secretly piranhas do eat bananas? Time to find out!
Abigail
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aaron Blabey Fans / Anyone Seeking Silly Stories for Young Children
Brian the piranha exasperates his fellow fish to no end in this amusing picture-book from Australian author/artist Aaron Blabey. While they are meat-eaters, Brian loves fruit, and continually offers it to his peers, who become more and more irate. Will our piscine hero ever convince them to give his favorite foods a try?

With a rhyming text that is fun and giggle-inducing - "We don't eat apples! / We don't eat beans! / We don't eat veggies! / We don't eat green! / We don't eat melons! / We don't
Jo
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a New Zealander its hard for me to admit this, but my favorite children's author is an Australian. I know its shocking. But as I tell customers who come in and ultimately purchase one of his books. Aaron Blabey is just to talented to ignore. My favorite book is definitely Piranhas don't eat bananas, at the end of every story time I have to read it and every time I get the giggles. If you haven't discovered this wonderful book check it out.

Roben
What a fun book! All about eating - and what some folks like, others don't. And that's OK. Unless it's your knees that are being eaten...
Sam
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Continuing my expansion on children's picture story books, Aaron Blabey in particular, I picked this one up from the library today.
Surprise, surprise, it's excellent.
About a piranha who is essentially a fruitarian, this is a funny story that highlights and then normalises the differences between people, or piranhas in this case.
You can be a fruit eating piranha if you want to. Or you. can be a bum eating piranha. In the end, you're all piranha.
He continues his rhyming prose in this book,
Jessica
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My niece picks out the funniest and cutest books ever. She’s such a goofball!
Janet
Funny for elementary for sure!
Abby Johnson
Pronounce bananas ba-NAH-nahs for the rhymes to work in this Australian import and you will have young listeners rolling on the floor as a piranha tries to convince his fellow piranhas to try foods other than gnawing on humans. Laugh-out-loud funny and I'd expect nothing less from Aaron Blabey (author of the Bad Guys series, among others).
Suzie Bookgirl
I laughed out loud and then read this to anybody I could make listen. 'That's it, Brian! We eat BUMS!'I love it. This is great for children and adults alike. It works well as a read aloud and the illustrations are fantastic.
Karen Dubke
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I haven't laughed this hard in a long time! Simple silly fun. I can't wait to read this for a storytime.
Julia
**Actual Star Rating: 3.5**

I play a digital game with other people from the United States and other countries while one of the goals is to form guilds so you can have other people to help you. Within my guild I have a mother and her two sons while the oldest has started to spend some time with us, which has led to some interesting talks. And one of these was about piranhas like to eat bums *laughing*. With such a weird comment you know I had to track this down.

So this was how I was
Baby Bookworm
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas by Aaron Blabey, the delightfully silly tale of Brian, a piranha with a unique appetite.

As Brian swims towards his piranha pals, they are aghast at what he has with him: a banana. He offers it to his cohorts, who are simply offended. Not discouraged, Brian offers various other fruits and veggies instead, his friends declining
Olivia
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
Find my full review here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfic...

PIRANHAS DON’T EAT BANANAS is a delightful, rhyming romp! Brian is a piranha who loves fruit and vegetables. However, when he tries to share with his friends, they inform him that piranhas don’t eat those fruits and veggies- they eat toes, knees, and bums. He convinces them to try a fruit platter, and they like it- but piranhas still prefer bums!

What I loved: This is a book perfect to make preschoolers and young elementary
Sue Winson
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the many current favourite books of little-AJ. The story line is straightforward: Brian the piranha decided to convince his peers to try out healthy fruits and vegetables. His persistence and new-found interest were not appreciated by his gangster-like friends. They screamed and attempted to reason with Brian that a piranha just simply doesn’t eat banana, peas or any form of greens.

The short story of around 20 pages was written in the form of rhymes and with a sense of humour that
zapkode
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
{My thoughts} – If you have heard of the Bad Guys series by Aaron Blabey, then I am sure you will understand why I wanted to read this book. I really enjoy that series and it’s quirkiness. I really like it’s illustrations as well.

In this book it is all about piranhas and how they don’t eat bananas. Its a fun book about a piranha names Brian that eats bananas and other fruits. He then gets his pals to eat it too, after a short discussion about how good they are and how he shouldn’t be eating
Barbara
There's one in every crowd--or every species. Although piranhas don't eat bananas, an assertion that is stressed throughout this amusing picture book, well, Brian does. Not only does he enjoy the yellow-peeled fruit, but he prefers veggies and other fruits to the usual food choices of his species. Eventually he persuades the others to try his offerings, but they aren't persuaded to change their ways. What makes this picture book particularly effective is how the acrylic illustrations feature ...more
Debra
This book is flat out funny. Brian, the piranha, is a fruit and veggie lover and wants to share his choices with his friends who are adamantly meat lovers and do not understand their friend. The rhyming of the fruit foods that Brian offers and the rhyming response from the other piranhas is delightful. Finally, Brian's friends decide to try the fruit platter he has prepared if only to to shut him up. Add to all this the introduction of BUMS and you have a winner for kids.
Anyone want to branch
Read3r’z Re-Vu
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a parent this is a fun read with lots of humour and the best part is it teaches your little one about healthy eating, the only downside is the number of bum jokes it promotes but is a good tool if your also at the toilet training stage.

- Crystal

**********

I couldn’t stop laughing when I first read this book. So I had to do a few re-reads insterntly. The word rhymes between the fruit and vegietables with the body parts, that with anyone of any age will smile or laugh over. Piranhas also shows
Juliana Lee
You may like fruit, but piranhas don't. Funny rhymes insist that they don't eat peas-they eat knees, and they don't like plums-they like bums! Brian the piranha tries to convince his friends to try the fruit (like Sam, 'I don't like like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam-I-Am). Eventually they do try it, but unlike the Cat in the Hat, the piranhas still do not like the fruit, they prefer bums!
C Exley Books (Cassandra)
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, children-books
I just read this with my five year old son and my two year old daughter.

This book is awesome! I laughed harder than my kids. We ordered a copy from scholastic.

All questions answered by my son (Nicholas).

Do you like this book?
Yea

What's your favourite part of the book?
When he gave them the fruit platter

What do you think of the cover?
Cool

Do you want me to read it again?
Yep
Becky B
Brian, the piranha loves fruit. But his fellow piranhas think he's loco. He finally convinces them to try some, and they agree it is ok, but not as good as their favorite food.

There's a little bit of cheap humor in here (the piranhas favorite food is bum, as in person butt, but it is illustrated tactfully). Kids will likely find this hilarious, especially when the piranhas mention they'd rather nibble on knees or toes rather than fruit. Hand this one to kids who like silly stories.
Pam
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Clever story about a piranha who prefers to eat healthy. Brian likes fruits and vegetables to the usual piranha meals. He tries to convince his friends to try them too. They agree and see quite the feeding frenzy illustrated. At the end, the other piranhas prefer their first choice meal.
The piranhas' expressions are delightful. Readers can see exactly what each is thinking as they move through the story.
Rebecca
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“What is wrong with you, Brian? You’re a piranha.”

SO FUNNY. Aaron Blabey of Bad Guys fame is great with humor. The expressions! Read aloud to kids immediately.

Includes not-super-scientific notes about bananas and piranhas on the endpapers. As one review noted, this could be seen as a new version of "Green Eggs and Ham."

Artwork: acrylic (with pens and pencils) on watercolor paper.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I Am a Tiger
  • The Evil Princess vs. the Brave Knight
  • Give Me Back My Bones!
  • Bruce's Big Storm
  • Grumpy Monkey Party Time!
  • Turtle and Tortoise Are Not Friends
  • Hangry
  • Bad Dog
  • One Shoe Two Shoes
  • Small World
  • What Does an Anteater Eat?
  • Truman
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for which he won an