Start by marking “The Truth About Peacock Blue” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Peacock Blue

The Truth About Peacock Blue

A powerful story about one girl's fight for justice in Pakistan.

Everything changes for Aster the night her brother dies. Suddenly she's the only hope of the family, and instead of an early marriage to a boy from her small village in Pakistan, her parents decide to send her to the government high school in her brother's place. Aster is excited about this unexpected opportu
Published August 26th 2015 by Allen and Unwin

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Peacock Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Peacock Blue

Anne Hamilton
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, australia-nz
At the risk of overusing one particular powerful adjective, this book packs a powerful impact through several powerful, thought-provoking threads. The storyline follows Aster, a Pakistani Christian girl who becomes the hope of her family after her brother dies. An opportunity at education that would never have otherwise been hers turns into a nightmare when a teacher accuses her of blaspheming the Prophet in a written exam. Arrested so quickly after the test is over that later investigators come ...more
Paula Vince

Fourteen-year-old Aster Suleiman is thrust into a nightmare. She knew she wasn't her Islamic teacher's favourite student, but a mistake on a High School exam has her arrested on a charge of blasphemy. As the teacher, Mrs Abdul, supposedly destroyed the offensive paper on the spot, her word alone is enough to shatter the lives of several people. Aster's parents have recently lost their son to a violent asthma attack, and now their precious daughter faces a death penalty.

I found Aster's plight ext
Trevor
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from Rosanne Hawke - confronting, challenging and very contemporary.
Nada
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novel is a powerful story of a young girl accused of blasphemy. It is most definitely thought provoking and although a work of fiction, based on current events. I liked that it presented several conflicting views as the reader could then further assess these views and make more comprehensive judgements for themselves. I would most definitely recommend this to all readers particularly young adults.
Morgan Patterson
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am short of words that describe how powerful this story is. I feel helpless and ashamed that this is going on in a world where I have been bought up with so much freedom. I hope that by discussing this story I can create even more awareness of the situation
Aishah
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mistress Bast
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I hadn't really been aware of the blasphemy laws in Pakistan and other Middle Eastern countries on anything other than a superficial level. The premise was worrying because it was so believable.

For me the best bit of the book was the atmosphere. The peppering of Urdu words and descriptions of daily life gave the book a great feel, and made me feel as if I understood Aster. The way Aster thought of, and interacted with, the other characters made me really care what happened.
Jude
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was a fabulous book, 4.5 stars. It's the story of a young girl living in Pakistan who is imprisoned for a crime she didn't commit and I think that young people will find the story of her time in prison really interesting.
texbsquared
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has earned a shaky 3.5 for me. I finished it, and it definitely had some very powerful themes which should be explored, but I wasn't hooked by the writing style. It was very simplistic, which I guess I understand stylistically from the POV of Aster, but was jarring to read.

Fiona Dobrzynski
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disturbing and confronting but we need to know about what is going on. This book got me a bit depressed but imagine how it feels to be actually in the position that Aster is in! Powerful book.
Narelle
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is told through the eyes of a fifteen-year-old girl. Aster Suleiman Masih is a practicing Christian living in a Muslim society. She is part of a minority group in Pakistan. Aster was named after another girl of a minority faith and her life changed because of it.
Aster’s brother dies at a yong age and sddenly she beoes the hope for her family. She is fortunate to be given an opportunity to attend a government school in aistan. Soething that not any yong girls in aistan get to do Aster
Kendall
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Be aware that you will be extremely frustrated by the ending... I want to read more of this story! What an amazing glimpse into Pakistan and the conflict with minority groups within the country. Opened my eyes even more to the importance of the fight for social justice. Loved this and will be recommending it to my students!
Tanya Grech Welden
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have long been a fan of Rosanne Hawke's gentle approach to story telling. Her latest release The Truth About Peacock Blue, does not disappoint. In fact, in this novel we see Hawke at her very best, leading readers into vividly drawn worlds in which her characters, despite being small of voice, manage to speak loudly and poignantly to her audience.

The Truth About Peacock Blue tells the story of Aster, a fourteen year old Christian girl who lives with her parents in a small village in Pakistan.
TheCosyDragon
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This review has been cross-posted from my own blog, The Cosy Dragon. I frequently receive novels from Allen and Unwin for review, but infrequently post reviews to GoodReads.

Aster's brother dies from asthma, and suddenly she is to become the scholar in the family. As a Christian family in a Muslim-majority Pakistan, going to school holds more perils than she expects. Cast into prison for a crime she didn't commit, this is a novel told through her perspective and the blog of her Australian cousin.
Grace Sunflower
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"One voice can start a change, but other voices need to be raised also." P. 238 This high quality novel contains a gripping and disturbing plot about a young woman whose fate is dramatically affected by sudden, unjust discrimination. The story highlights the the vulnerability of young girls in Pakistan. This is an issue that, I strongly believe, is important to shed light on and be discussed by both young women and young men. "The more the world knows about prejudice and injustice, the less it c ...more
Lisa Birch
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-i-have-read
When I first started reading The Truth about Peacock Blue, I really struggled my way through the first two chapters, perhaps the Urdu words were a little bit of trouble for my head to get around at first (though I did find the glossary at the back, which helped). Eventually I settled in for the emotional rollercoaster Aster's tale takes us on.

Aster is a Christian teenager growing up in Pakistan, who takes her brother's place at high school after his untimely, but unsurprising death. The book fea
Rania T
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Roseanne Hawke has the knack for succinctly capturing the everyday life of Pakistanis in her Junior and Young Adult novels. 'Peacock Blue' is a fictional account of a Christian girl accused of blasphemy, but is so realistically written, it feels almost autobiographical. This would make an excellent classroom text as it raises many issues that many would otherwise be unaware of; the plight of minorities in volatile situations and their consequences.
Linda
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cultural, young-adult
The cover and name made me read this young adult novel and I was not disappointed. It is the story of a young girl in Pakistan who is accused of blasphemy. It is the story of her friends and families fight for social justice. It is not about religion but about respect for others and the strength to stand by your beliefs. Well worth a read weather you are thirteen or fifty.
Anne Williams:)
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a brush with the harsh reality of the belief and justice systems in Pakistan. The main character is superb but what happens to her is shocking. This is a book to prompt much discussion about the role and treatment of people from minority populations in some countries around the world.
Margaret
Excellent read. Strongly recommended for those interested in social justice.
Atinata George
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Our God is an awesome God reigns from heaven above with wisdom, power and love our God is an awesome God!
Kerryn Lawson
A very powerful story that leaves you with plenty to think about.
Claude
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Great concept, more suited to a young adult readership I think. Can't wait to give it to my younger cousins.
Emily
May 29, 2016
Mariam Iqbal
Dec 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
When little I ran around with a jotter and a pencil, pretending to write a story but not knowing how to spell any words except Dick, Dora and cat. My mother asked me to tell stories. A lot of my stories stayed in my head, as being the youngest and living in the country didn't bring many opportunities for an audience. I was born in Penola, in South Australia. We had a sheep farm until I was six, th ...more