Start by marking “Lightning” as Want to Read:
Lightning

Lightning

Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published May 30th 2006 by Dell (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightning

Julz
Lori
Jun 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Meryan
Oct 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Hated the ending of this book. How she could take back that disgusting husband that treated her worse than crap while she had breast cancer is unbelievable. He won't discuss it with her, gives her NO support as she has a mastectomy, even has an affair and leaves her. While at work there is another lawyer that gives her total support, holding her while she pukes her guts out from the chemo. Then her husband, Sam, gets what he deserves and is caught up in a scandal that ruins his reputation and th ...more
Purple Iris
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
God, I hated the end of this book. I would love to give it one star, but I did like the beginning. I just couldn't believe what a jackass the husband turned out to be and that the woman would go back to him. It was absolutely ridiculous.
Kajal
Mar 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
I received this book as a prize for topping my class in English and after having read it, it almost made me regret having come out first.

(view spoiler)
Bev Taylor
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
alex has the perfect marriage to sam. she is a successful attorney and he is a whizz kid in the financial world

they thought about children and never really got around to it and then she unexpectedly fell pregnant only to suffer a miscarriage

she is heartbroken and realises that she would love a child and succeeds with a wonderful daughter who they both adore

now she is 4 years old and after 17 years of marriage alex's life is changed by an unexpected stroke of fate

she has a mass on her breast
◄○♦☻♦○►[faith.in.God]◘♪♪
i used to like her books but after having half read of this book.. i just can't continue to read it out. its a disappointment to have read such a book. i don't know how they published it.
the guy doesn't even care for his wife, he doesn't even understand her, i mean, he should be by her side, while she's suffering all this alone. it was harder for her than him. I'd call him a jerk. after reading others' review i came to know the whole story. sorry, but i don't like it, at all.
Pamela
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie Barrett
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lightening by Danielle Steel
Alex is a lawyer about to go to trial for several weeks if not months. She has her annual exams and it shows a lump in her breast which they talk her into having a biopsy.
She's now going under the knife and the only thing she wants is another child. Annabelle is the best girl ever and she dotes on her whenever she can.
She gives the doctor the go ahead to remove parts of her breast and/or lump nodes once he finds out about the mass that is in her body.
She is more upset
Mariz Ponce
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
when i finished reading the book, i really had this urge to put up a sign on the door of my bedroom saying JUST GOT BETRAYED. i was really, really expecting that Alex would be with Brock and never, ever look back again. i mean, really, Sam is a total a*****e most especially during the times when Alex is really, really sick, emotionally and physically drained and also when he decided to run away from her towards Daphne. i know that i shouldn't feel like this because this is a book, a novel..a FIC ...more
Mom2jngncna~ Stephannie
I had been told when this book first came out that it was about a womans battle with breast cancer. I had bought it in PB at a garage sale at some point. I didn't read it until sometime in 2000. It is a point in my life, where I am VERY lucky to be married to the man that I am. To some degree, I read what my Aunt had gone through in 1987 and again in 1993. The reason that I am very lucky with my DH is that the morning I started reading this book, I was unable to put it down. He had vague knowled ...more
Mbc
Nov 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
A really silly book, despite the big subjects it developed.
The book was repetitive, extremely predictable, quite boring and ALL characters were really hard to believe. Steel could not build their personalities to be not only believable but also consistent throughout the story.
Even the characters contradicted themselves in what they were said to be feeling... in the same page!
The author's style seemed like an amateur's. Sometimes it even seemed like Steel had also got tired of the book and wante
Myrtle Yvonne
Lightning is a story about life - lifetime couples who has gone through intoxicating struggles and journey in life with a sick partner (cancer). I'm a little disappointed with people's reviews on it but I liked the story. How love can bring two people back together no matter how bad they've done or hurt each other. Love takes strength and so much of ourselves and learning. And of course, Danielle Steel also includes temptations and forgiveness. It's a catch. It's a good read in spring.
Helen Laibach
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
As a huge fan of Danielle Steel's novels, I have to say, when I read this story I was so dissappointed by the ending she chose that I didn't read her work a very long time... I only give it 3 stars because up until the end, it is a very well written, emotionally moving story that pulls you into Alex's struggle with cancer.

Helen Laibach, Author
A Soul Less Broken
Ally Harradine
Apr 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Urgh. Husband is as asshole. She's an idiot for going back to him. Very predictable and irritating. Overall I'm glad to see this book in my past
Stephanie
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
The ending was extremely disappointing.
E Wilson
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Margaret
Although I normally find Danielle Steel's novels rather uninspiring, in this one she seemed to do a fairly decent job of depicting a woman facing breast cancer and the response of her husband, Sam. Alex Parker finds that what she thought was a near-perfect marriage began to show cracks and eventually falls apart when her husband cannot face the fact that she has cancer. Alex faces the battle of a lifetime alone, until she finds there are people who care and are not willing to let her face this b ...more
Brenda
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
How I missed reading this 23 year DS book (and it was in my house the whole time!) I do not know but as part of our (friend and I) "Danielle Steel Pact", we are finishing all of our unread DS books this year (approx. 2 a month to finish). Although the writing was as good as ever and I enjoyed the story overall; I did not like the ending at all :( IMO, Sam was a real S**T and Alex was an idiot in the end.
Michelle Fletcher Carder
Took a while but was worth the time

I’m giving this one only 3 stars because I just finished the book and am extremely disappointed in the ending. If I think about it I would probably move to 4 stars. When I started this book, I didn’t know what it was about. As I discovered more, I didn’t want to continue but pushed on and am glad I did. I learned a lot from Alex about strength, perseverance and compassion, though I don’t know if I could or would do what she did.
Santa
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, this is the kind of book that will make you cry like a baby under your blanket in the middle of the night. It was enjoyable from the beginning to the end. the life of a successful woman was struck by lightening destroying her perfect family. *sighs* one just has to read this book to understand how perfect it is. Don't forget to keep some tissues papers beside you while reading it because trust me you'll NEED them( you're welcome
Terralyn Brown Barfield
If the ending to this book infuriates you, bravo. This is progress. In the 1980s, this ending and abuse was a very realistic story & ending. It was an accepted norm.......just the way life was for women........something to be put up with without a thought of drawing a line. It’s taken 2 generations to re-educate and empower women. Bravo.
janell sercombe
Very predictable

This story was consumed by a detailed description of a woman battling chemo and vomiting through the whole story.
Very predictablè and not at the top of my picks.
Kimberly
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I was disappointed with the ending but, other than that I thought the book was good.

Alex and her husband Sam have been married 17 years. When Alex gets devastating news, Sam turns his back on her and falls into a younger woman's clutches.
Ann
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: danielle-steel
The main character finds out she has a devastating illness. At the same time, her husband finds himself in a great deal of trouble. This book is available from the national Library service.
Lindsay Michelle
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but the ending made me angry
Ana Leal
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was actually disappointed with this book..... I did not like the story at all.... I like a lot of her books, but this one.... Was a waste of time
Kristi Vella
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great story.
Jane Mears
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first Danielle Steel book, and have been reading EVERY one of her books since. LIGHTNING is still my ultimate favorite of all her books.
Modern Day tragedy ...
Alyssa Michelle
I can't even rate this book because at times it was everything, from five stars to one star. It did, however, force me to critically think about my own relationships and what loyalty means.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Danielle Steel Bo...: Lightning 3 21 Apr 05, 2018 08:43PM

• The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Danielle Steel
  • An Unexpected Family (Ladies of Covington, #7)
  • The White Widow
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Evidence of Blood
  • Whitehorse
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • One Last Dance
  • To Catch a Thief (The Calamity Janes, #3)
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Ruin Creek
  • The Greek Prince's Chosen Wife (Billionaires' Brides, #2)
  • Wither (Wendy Ward, #1)
  • Act of Will
  • Love at First Sight
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
“All rights reserved. No part of this book may” 1 likes