Start by marking “The Boat Man (Reed & Billie, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Boat Man (Reed & Billie, #1)

The Boat Man

(Reed & Billie #1)

Detective Reed Mattox, just three months removed from the death of his partner, has turned invisibility into an art form.Switching to the K-9, taking over the graveyard shift, moving to a farmhouse miles outside of Columbus, his every move has become predicated on putting as much distance between himself and the outside world as possible.

That distance is shattered though
Published September 11th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Boat Man, please sign up.
Asteropê You can get it "free" if you have Kindle Unlimited.…moreYou can get it "free" if you have Kindle Unlimited. (less)

Start your review of The Boat Man (Reed & Billie, #1)
Sandy
Another mini review as I attempt to catch up on some older downloads. Either I'm getting better at picking books or have no control when it comes to those featuring a dog. I suspect it's the latter.

This police procedural is set in Columbus & introduces us to cop Reed Mattox & sidekick Billie, a Belgian Malinois. After Reed lost his human partner, he transferred to the K9 unit & eventually met Billie. She was a bomb-sniffer in Afghanistan who ended up back in the states after also
Michael Slavin
89% 4 and 5 star reviews with 1,200 reviews on Amazon, so it is good.

This is a pretty straightforward detective story that takes place in Columbus, Ohio.
Detective Reed’s partner is killed before the story begins and Reed must have a new partner so he gets assigned Billy. To me, Billy is the best part of the story. Billy is a retired military dog that is now Reed’s partner.

-Billy, the dog, is wired with tons of energy. I like it.
-Someone is chopping people up with a Samurai-type sword.
-There is
Jordon Greene
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Steven's The Boat Man is a great crime thriller the comes together piece-by-piece right up to the end. You can sympathize with both the protagonist and the antagonist of the story while being astounded at the same time. I think I've found a new favorite series. Oh, and the Audible narration is great!
Pat
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This started out as a three star book because, despite the gruesome killing, the delivery was a bit flat and I thought - here comes another standard police procedural. Once the lead detective, Reed Mattox, started to slowly connect the dots that linked the series of grisly murders it got more interesting. I likes the way the leads were slowly but steadily developed. I especially liked Reed's partner, the dog Bille, and that she had an important role in the final denouement.

So in my scoring
Ed
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lean police procedural featuring Detective Reed Mattox and his Belgian Malinois canine partner Billie. Together they investigate and pursue an elusive killer in the "Bottoms" section of Columbus, Ohio. This fast moving thriller only lacked in depth back stories of Detective Mattox and his newly assigned Marine Afghanistan Veteran partner Billie. Both compelling lead characters in a strong debut of a series.
Marica (The Book Chick)
You can read more of my reviews at my blog The Book Chick.

Flat revenge story in a mediocre beginning on a new series, more suitable for TV. That is how I would, in few words, describe The Boat man by Dustin Stevens. It is in no way a bad book really. But I cant say that it is overly good either. It is in between good and bad. An okay story with some issues when it comes to the writing but still okay. I did like it. But I have to many issues to love it or to feel the desire to continue.

First of I
Jim A
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good police procedural featuring a detective and his K-9 partner.

Reed Mattox and Billie are on the trail of a serial killer. The killer's motive, however, is revenge, not random killings. Also involved are the politics of the Columbus, Ohio police department for which Mattox works.

Any reader who read Robert Crais' novel Suspect with officer Scott James and Maggie will enjoy this novel as well, I think.

First of a series but no cliffhanger involved.
Pat
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A mystery and thriller I couldn't put down. Besides, I feel in love with the dog.

What a complex plot that was a joy to follow. The hard-working detective and canine partner Billie simply hooked my interest. Descriptions are so vividly written that you see, smell, and feel everything. Yet, I did not anticipate the resolution of this entertaining book.
Jack A. Linn
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ FOR MYSTERY LOVERS!

From time to time I like to break away from the best-selling authors and look for a fresh, new voice in the mystery/suspense/thriller genre. I'm so glad I did with Dustin Stevens and The Boat Man. It's the best novel I've read in years -- as good as Sanford, Child and a few others, better than Patterson, Baldacci and a whole lot more! I don't want to give away the story, but Stevens skillfully ties an ancient tale from Greek mythology to a series of ritualistic
Beth
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
crime thriller. Billy (who has tons of energy, so cute!) is a retired military dog - now Reed's partner. 7 books in this series. wowza. . . i have a lot to read. yeah! fast paced. well written. totally the cover pulled me in. well done. i am new to Dustin's work. i will read more. can't wait.
Jakky
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Page-turner. Suspense. Good vs. evil vs. worse evil vs. satanic evil. Good read.
Amazonaute
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dnf 40%.

Failed to retain my interest.
Jane
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this down. I thoroughly enjoyed this book
Golda Edwards
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I love books about crime and police catching the bad guys. This one did not disappoint! I also love dogs so I enjoyed this story even more!
Juli
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Prime Reading, was pleasantly surprised and I love Billie, she’s my favorite character in this book by far.
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
The Boat Man was an interesting suspense thriller involving a K-9 Detective.

Detective Reed Mattox has become really good at being invisible after the death of his partner. He now works the graveyard shift with his K-9 partner, Billie, preferring to be alone. It suited his needs and he enjoyed working that shift. Then he gets a call about a body and goes to check it out and finds one that is mutilated.

They have no real clues to go on and then another body is found the same way. Because nobody
Maryline M's Bookshelf
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review was first published at M's Bookshelf - http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.com

The feeling of dread radiates from both the cover and synopsis. Once again Dustin Stevens paints an incredibly detailed picture. In The Boat Man he introduces a new character, Reed Mattox. He's a talented detective, a no-nonsense man focused on the job ahead. He cares deeply for his new partner, Billy, and together they make an interesting team - a nice twist on the traditional detective team.
Like every Dustin
Shirley Alvarez
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE BOAT MAN

What a great book! Couldn't put it down until the end. Didn't know this author but I am so happy for finding him! A very suspenseful story. Hope for more.
Lynn Keith
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

This was an excellent example of a potato chip book. What I mean is that it is a story which you can get through like a bag of potato chips. Some authors are producers of bagels, hard, dense things that you have to work to get through. John Connolly and Tom Clancy write bagels. The Boat Man is not this type of work. It is well written with a minimum of backstory or unnecessary description. The characters are drawn in broad strokes. The author makes few demands on his readers. This is
Renaissance I
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh Em Gee.

This book was so good it gave me goose bumps everytime I read it. My heart was beating fast every time something was about to go down or Reed got vital information. I also loved his relationship with Billie. I'm glad he stood up for himself and solved the case, however I hated how it ended. I have never felt so much anger in my life before for a book. To me. The Boat Man had every right to murder each and everyone of them and I wished he could've finished it. Honestly I felt his pain,
Metta Juan Vigna
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yu

I am a multi tasker. To shut my mind off day or night I read. Not often lucky enough to select books that hold my interest enough to let me escape for an hour or two. The Boat Man was the third one of yours I've read. I really don't know what holds my interest. I Like your characters. I must like your plots because They hold my interest. We'll
See I rarely Review books
Review books ks. Kee
ps Amazon peeved
with .me. It's not my place to critique an author's book. If it fAils to acco
.mplish a
Mary Hollaway
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!

Mr. Stevens writes in the first person, which I prefer, especially when it comes to a suspense novel. And suspense this is!

The kinship of a man and a dog excels in the story, but doesn't overpower the storyline of The Boat Man.

A novel for older youth and adults, due to the brutality, but a necessary part of the storyline.

Thank you Mr. Stevens, for a book well written. Can't wait to begin the next in the series!
Lou Harper
This is probably a perfectly good book but the audio narration is simply flat. The narrator's voice is actually quite pleasant but it's like a background hum. I couldn't listen to it for two minutes without my thoughts wandering off.
Dennis Willis
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery with great characters

My five star rating is based on the fact that I simply could not put this book down once I picked it up. The plot was engrossing and worked its way toward the end without losing its interest. The subplot of the relationship of the prime characters to the police dog adds another degree of interest to the book. It's a great read for anyone interested in mystery.
Gary L Stambaugh
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Crazy real!

As soon as read the intro for this book I was hooked. The author kept me awake longer than planned a couple of nights while reading this book.

Great join Dustin, keeping it real with the accurate details of Columbus and surrounding communities. Beautifully captured like it was torn from the headlines.

Can't wait to read another Dusten Stevens thriller!
Elinor W. Wilburn
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Captivating Read

Finely drawn characters that live on with you after the story is over. The "Boat Man" is a particularly unique and clever premise. I look forward to getting to know Reed and Billie in greater depth as the series continues.
M D
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Detective Reed Mattox, another ubiquitous cop irreparably damaged by the loss of his partner, is saddled with trying to solve a gruesome crime. Along with his new partner, a K-9 named Billie, they are soon looking at the latest serial killer in their city.
The K-9 idea is a fairly unused one in the storyline of big city cops, but the author remands Billie to the back seat of Reed’s car for most of the book, pacing and whining. Instead of having a pivotal role to play, the dog is stuck in limbo,
Susan Drago
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Read

I read this book some time ago, but my memory isn't what it used to be. Since I had just purchased Book 2, I thought I should re-read book one.
First I want to say thank you to the person who corrected the grammar and punctuation from the first time I read it. Evidently, if you download the same book twice, any notes you made the first time carry over. Almost every one of the notes I made had been corrected! Being a professional proofreader and editor can be a curse, because you feel
Vicky
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of the series. It is also my first book to read by the author. I loved everything about this book It contains everything I like in a book: a strong character with some issues, a dog who is his parter, and a mystery. Reed Mattox is a detective with a k9 partner named Billie. She is an ex military dog now doing police work. Reed is undergoing some personal issues which effected his ability to work with human partners and to interact with his coworkers. He assigned to find ...more
C. Coleman
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I have read several poor books lately and then I decided to see what the hoopla about this book was based on. This is the best murder mystery I've ever read! The storyline is amazing and perfectly developed. The characterization is some of the best I've ever read. The protagonist is vulnerable and his depth unfolds through the story to the last line! The timing of info release is perfect. To say it's a page-turner is so inadequate. The book is gripping from the very beginning to the last ...more

• Stray Cat Blues: A Mystery Crime Thriller (Max Plank Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Tin Men
  • Compromised: Thriller Suspense Series (Stephanie Chalice Thrillers Book 6)
  • Dead Wrong (Cal Murphy #7)
  • Palm Beach Bedlam (Charlie Crawford Palm Beach Mysteries Book 8)
  • Coyote (A Jessica James Mystery, #2)
  • Shock Collar (Micah Reed #7)
  • Once a Soldier
  • Death Report (The Sergeant Brad Braun Series, #1)
  • The Numbers Killer (An Agent Victoria Heslin Thriller, #1)
  • Shark Wave (Troy Bodean Adventure #6)
  • John Stone: The Hard Kill: The Hard Core Origin 1 of 4
  • Office Visit (The My Mira Saga #2)
  • Shame ON You (Redemption Thriller #16; Ozzie Novak Thriller #4)
  • Dangerous Places (Leah Nash Mysteries #3)
  • Rose City Free Fall (Dent Miller Thriller #1)
  • Roadkill
  • A Killing Truth (Leine Basso Thrillers, #0.5)
I originally hail from the midwest, growing up in the heart of farm country, and still consider it, along with West Tennessee, my co-home. Between the two, I have a firm belief that football is the greatest of all past-times, sweet tea is really the only acceptable beverage for any occasion, there is not an event on earth that either gym shorts or boots can't be worn to, and that Dairy Queen is ...more

Reed & Billie (7 books)
  • The Good Son (Reed & Billie #2)
  • The Kid (Reed & Billie #3)
  • The Partnership (Reed & Billie #4)
  • Justice (Reed & Billie #5; Sydney Rye Kindle Worlds)
  • The Scorekeeper (Reed & Billie #6)
  • The Bear (Reed & Billie #7)
“fine,” Reed said, “be that way. Just stand there” 0 likes