Start by marking “Lightning in the Dark (Turning Creek, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lightning in the Dark (Turning Creek, #1)

Lightning in the Dark

(Turning Creek #1)

Descended from the mythical harpies, Petra Celaeno is content living a solitary life in the Colorado Territory until she meets dairy farmer, James Lloyd. As her relationship with James grows, Petra fights against her harpy instincts and questions the traditions of her ancestors. James Lloyd came to Colorado looking for a fresh start, but he can not shake his obsession with ...more
Published December 2nd 2014 by Michelle Boule

To ask other readers questions about Lightning in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightning in the Dark

Start your review of Lightning in the Dark (Turning Creek, #1)
Veronica
Really enjoyed it! I'm a big fan of romance, fantasy and revisionist mythology stories and this book sort of takes all three, layers on a 19th century Western setting and gives you a wonderful escapist read. The Turning Creek world was intriguing and I can't wait to explore it in the next book. Great world building without being heavy-handed, a lovely romance and fun characters!
Ranger
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Michelle Boule's writing for years but this is her first novel. While the book is slow to start, I was hooked by the end and ready for part II. I found her knowledge of Greek mythology to be outstanding. One of the things she seems to be doing (which I love, by the way), is having each novel feature a different character. The one downside for me, which may be an upside for most readers, was the romance aspect. It just happens to not be my favorite genre. Overall, a solid story ...more
Tiffany
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. I loved the story, which grabbed my attention as a reader from the get go. It is very well researched and explained a lot about mythology without it sounding like a lecture. The main character is strong and very likable. I wish the ending had been a little bit longer and explained more about what happened to each character. Overall a great read! I am looking forward to reading the next story in this series.
Shirley
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like romance and mythology, this is the book for you!

I thought Lightening in the Dark was a great read. There are not a lot of books out there about Harpies and I thoroughly enjoyed Michelle's viewpoint regarding them. This is definitely a fast- paced read with characters that you come to know and love. I can't wait for Book 2!!
Jenna Kathleen
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Percy Jackson meets every supernatural YA romance ever written.

Petra is a harpy, a unique creature of mythology that gets angry when it turns into a half bird. But don't be fooled, she's just like every other YA Mary Sue out there with absolutely no character development.

The book starts by explaining how she lives in Colorado because she hates people, she wanted to get away from her mom, and the place just "felt right." For a character who is supposed to be 70 years old, the amount of angst Petr
Wendy Jensen
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
What an interesting book. I had never read a book on Harpies before and this was quite enlightening. The book didn't assume that I knew what they were and explained what they are. It takes place in Colorado Territory in 1858. In their small town a lot of Remnants, descendants of the Greek myths, are suddenly converging and the main character, Petra Celaeno, a Harpie, is wondering why they are feeling the pull to come to this area. No, I didn't guess the ending entirely right!

I received this book
Audra Olson
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! This was my book club's most recent selection. While Mythology/Fantasy is not typically my genre of choice, I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed this one so much. Boule does an excellent job developing a plot that combines mythological gods and creatures with her own creative spin to their character and stories. I loved the author's wit, imagination, and writing style. I look forward to starting the second in this series!
Brenda
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Goodreads and thank you! I have never read or really wanted to read a mystical book before. I had entered the contest and did not properly read the little blurb. I am so glad that I won, as once I got into it, I was hooked. I enjoyed the 3 Harpies and each of their different personalities came into play.

It was very interesting and I did not want to put the book down to do my daily chores. Looking forward to finding the next book to continue on with the story.
Hanna
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy via Goodreads and it was phenomenal! I've always loved Greek mythology and this book is loaded with it. Despite the main character being descended from harpies she is still really easy to relate to. I would recommend this to any Greek lover or fantasy buff. I can’t wait till the second one!
Lynnette
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful new series! This series is different from other paranormal romances at there. This is one is about a Harpy!!!! Love the characters and story!!! Can't wait to read the next book in the series!!
Kristin
Sep 24, 2015
Amy
Apr 19, 2015

Turning Creek (3 books)
  • Storm in the Mountains (Turning Creek, #2)
  • Letters in the Snow (Turning Creek, #3)