Start by marking “Prison Industrial Complex For Beginners” as Want to Read:
Prison Industrial Complex For Beginners

Prison Industrial Complex For Beginners

Prison Industrial Complex For Beginners is a graphic narrative project that attempts to distill the fundamental components of what scholars, activists, and artists have identified as the Mass Incarceration movement in the United States.

Since the early 1990s, activist critics of the US prison system have marked its emergence as a "complex" in a manner comparable to how Pres
Published September 15th 2016 by For Beginners (first published February 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Prison Industrial Complex For Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prison Industrial Complex For Beginners

Agni B
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a back sociology professor, JB Peterson describes beautifully the prison industrial complex with cartoon illustrations for beginners. He goes into depth about the manifestation of these problems and how they affect us individually. The book caps off with a call to action with concrete steps on how to combat the PIC.
Scott
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book brought up some things that you won't find in a school history book. I enjoyed reading the book although I felt like the author was going back and forth between writing a book and writing a dissertation. I would have liked for the author to go into more detail about some of his ideas.
Paul
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Prison Industrial Complex for Beginners, James Braxton Peterson, 2016, ISBN 9781939994318

This book looks at how, and why, America leads the world in the number of its citizens per capita that are incarcerated. The term "prison industrial complex" may be a new term, but it is a very old concept.

Of course, it all started in the days of slavery, when millions of Africans were brought to the Western Hemisphere. In 1829, in Philadelphia, the Quakers and other reformers opened the Eastern State Penite
Tommy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This reads as an encyclopedic, yet passionately opinionated overview of material that is covered with greater depth in "The New Jim Crow" and the masterful documentary "13th" directed by Ava Duvernay ("Selma").

It's eye-opening information about how the industrialized prison program operates and how it has failed. Reagan's War on Drugs and Clinton's criminalization policies are brought into light as crushing missteps in efforts to retain power instead of address the root causes of crime in minor
Dale
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book serves as a decent primer on the Prison Industrial Complex. Although it is a little bit reformist and not radical enough for my taste (and there are a few typos and misprints in the first edition) I would def. recommend it to someone who is looking for a short read that covers most of the bases. Also glad this references much better books that go more in depth on the subject, as usual, got some more reading to do!
3.5/5
Megan
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
There are better books about the Prison Industrial Complex, books that are more thorough and policy-savvy, but as it says in the title, this is for beginners and all in all, it's not a bad place to start.
Dana Robinson
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great overview of the PIC. Many references are given for further reading.
T.R. Horne
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Gave 2.5 stars. Packed with information (this can be a good and bad thing). The print was a bit "tight" on the page and made the pages seem to go on forever! This could be daunting to some readers. A copy editor or even book designer could have helped. The graphics were decent and a good reprieve from the tight pages. Overall, I think its a cool book with lots of good information but the layout wasn't quite reader friendly. This is not one that I could see myself reading again.
Beth
  • Post-Truth: Why We Have Reached Peak Bullshit and What We Can Do About It
  • American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear
  • For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Politics
  • The Love Wins Companion: A Study Guide for Those Who Want to Go Deeper
  • Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President - What We Don't, Can't, and Do Know
  • Taste, Memory: Forgotten Foods, Lost Flavors, and Why They Matter
  • Lethal But Legal: Corporations, Consumption, and Protecting Public Health
  • The Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Women Who Started It: The Memoir of Jo Ann Gibson Robinson
  • Defending Beef: The Case for Sustainable Meat Production
  • The Stop: How the Fight for Good Food Transformed a Community and Inspired a Movement
  • Citizen Coke: The Making of Coca-Cola Capitalism