Start by marking “Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)” as Want to Read:
Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)

Foreigner

(Quintaglio Ascension #3)

In Far-Seer and Fossil Hunter, we met the Quintaglios, a race of intelligent dinosaurs from Earth and learned of the threat to their very existence. Now they must quickly advance from a culture equivalent to our Renaissance to the point where they can leave their planet.
While the Quintaglios rush to develop space travel, the discovery of a second species of intelligent
Published August 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Foreigner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foreigner

Start your review of Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)
James Steele
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on Journalstone

Many more years have passed since the end of Fossil Hunter. The Quintaglios continue to investigate the alien spacecraft. Meanwhile, Toroca discovers another species of sentient dinosaurs living on the other side of the moon. Afsan has been having strange, unsettling dreams lately and they’ve been affecting him personally, so he tries a new kind of medicine: the “talking cure.”

The third book in the trilogy has the strongest story. (And the Watcher is gone,
Laurie
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
More fun from Robert Sawyer's crazy imagination. This time the dinosaurs instead of humans have evolved on an earthlike world subject to many earthquakes, as well as the common societal beliefs that tend to develop in response to a fear of death and the unknown. Asfan, the reptilian protagonist, takes on the guise of Copernicus, Galilieo, Freud, and many other well-known historical ground-breakers, and becomes a Christlike figure as he tries to convince his peers that "The Face of God" is ...more
Chip
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A good conclusion to Sawyer's dino-series. The second half of the book shows his talent in building interesting characters with good stories. Though this one doesn't really have a strong enlighten character as the first two (sorry I don't buy the connection with Freud). A bit rough in the section of nanobots building the space elevator.
Jeff
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was a perfect end to a great trilogy. Everything was intertwined with the first two novels so well that it made me believe that the author wrote all three books before the first one was even published. Many small and seemingly insignificant events from the series all came together in a wonderful explanation at the end. While the first two books were somewhat predictable, this one kept me guessing the entire way.

The characters were much deeper in this book. I enjoyed the constant
Devero
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terminata nel week end scorso questa lettura. Buona nel complesso, ma l'ultimo del ciclo dei Quintaglio a mio avviso non è propriamente riuscito quanto il primo, e in parte, il secondo.
C'è della suspance qua e là, una buona dose di avventura e introspezione dei personaggi, una buona continuità e quel giusto senso di stranezza che un romanzo privo di umani deve avere.
Erano i primi romanzi di Sawyer, e nel complesso sfigurano rispetto ai successivi, ma restano comunque un 3 stelle buone.
Jeff Terrell
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic... But I want more!

Incredible journey... Do yourself a favour and read this series. Epic in scope. Well thought out. Well planned. Beyond creative!
Mark Pearson
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Worth reading through the entire trilogy. An awesome story!
Scott Margo
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ended much too quickly! More Quintaglios! More Quintaglios!
Simone
Sep 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well it finally happened: A found a Robert Sawyer Book that I didn’t like. I’m glad the series is over, I’m looking forward to getting back to his always excellent, never disappointing, more modern works.
Bryne Zuege
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice conclusion to the Cycle
Nancy
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this series. An alternate reality where dinosaurs are the dominant life forms, involving selective breeding and a number of other interesting concepts.
Caitlin
Any book that makes me cry actual tears pretty much deserves 5 stars.

The last volume in Sawyer's Quintaglio Ascension trilogy, Foreigner picks up about two years after the events of Fossil Hunter: Novato and her team continue to excavate the crashed alien spaceship that seeded their moon with life, while Toroca (the "Darwin" of the last book who deduces the principles of evolution) makes contact with a new species of intelligent dinosaur, a peaceful civilization that casts the Quintaglios' own
Sean Randall
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful end to the series, Sawyer doesn't leave things dangling. A very condensed enlightenment, you might think - we've had discoveries in science, evolution, psychology and all sorts of fields in the space of a lifetime. I really enjoyed all 3 of these, and am very glad I finally got around to reading them.
Elizabeth
Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)
by Robert J. Sawyer

On the third outing into the world of sentient dinosaurs called Quintaglios the story fails to charm in the way the first book did or even the second book. Having introduced Quintaglio equivalents of Galileo and Darwin, Sawyer brings in a Freud-like figure and spends much of the book on Popeye’s psychology.

After telling us in book one that eyes don’t grow back (limbs and tails do), Afsan’s eyes do grow back but he can’t see. He enters
Orin
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it
An enjoyable book and a quick read, but a few things bug me.

Firstly, I expected a return of The Watcher from Fossil Hunter. A sentience that spans the Universe and is, in fact, older than it? Awesome. Sounds like it should probably be a repeating character, though.

Secondly, there seems to be a logical flaw with the Jijaki extinction. So the last space ark to the Quintaglio moon happens to now have the last Jijaki on it — ok. It plummets from the sky. All established in Fossil Hunter. But as
Rebecca Hammond
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
In some ways the most moving and yet least satisfying novel of Sawyer's Quintaglio Ascension trilogy. The third book surprisingly brought me to tears. While all the novels play unabashedly to the astronomy & paleontology nerd within us all, the third book also delves deeper into the psyche of the Quintaglios and the collective trauma they all experience. It's surprisingly powerful & feels remarkably truthful & real in spite of the other worldly context.
Taken as a whole, the
Djj
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Rob Sawyer, but truth be told I've avoided this trilogy as it sounded so bizarre and I was worried it might sully my admiration of Sawyer. I was happily wrong. While at times almost reminiscent of trippy Heinlein like 50s/60s scifi, with a dash of Arthur C. Clarke, this trilogy about sentient dinosaurs (e.g. raptors) making scientific discoveries on their home world is engaging and, like all Sawyer's books, eminently readable, plot-drive, and scientifically accurate. Without ...more
Chriss
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, anthroplogy fans and anyone who likes a really good story
Foreigner is one of my favorite books. I first read it in 1994 when it was in it’s ACE Books mass market edition. It was on one of those revolving racks at the Linda Vista Library in San Diego. I later purchased my TOR trade paperback edition at Mysterious Galaxies in 2000-something and I’ve read it about three times. I’ll probably re-read it many times more.

My blog has a full review (which the author's blog links to as a good review).
Michael Christopher
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The trilogy draws to a close with the titular reptilians having to face their inner selves as they reach for space. The primitive nature of their society is laid plain as the characters find themselves going to war with a newly discovered race without quite understanding why, and are forced to confront the inner demons that led them into conflict when their blind sage proves to have been emotionally traumatised by the very society that he is trying to save.
David H.
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This novel concludes the Quintaglio trilogy, though I really do wish Sawyer gave us more from this universe. The character focus changes a bit, keeping Afsan and Toroca, and giving Novato a POV finally. Rereading this one surprised me because I pretty much only remembered one of the major plotlines, and another major one that I only remembered as minor (but actually drives the book to its climax). It's got some wonderful scenes in it (Afsan is amazing), and the epilogue was awesome.
☆A.J.☆
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it was part three of a series...but it can be read independently. My first sci-fi novel that I utterly fell in love with.

Never thought I'd find something in this genre (sci-fi) that I would simply adore...don't know what it is actually. Was it the author's style or the content that totally facinated me? It's an undeniably a Goodread though.
Bruce
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I've read an SF book that I enjoyed this much. If I had to compare it to something I would compare it to the Foundation Trilogy. Yeah, it's that good. Highly recommended and definitely a keeper that I may read again some day. Fun, exciting, And thoughtful.
Clayton Yuen
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Good ending to a trilogy . . . happy ending to a trilogy! This story apparently is a reflection of the Human Condition and the good traits missing from the Quintaglio civilization. Hidden between layers of blood and gut hunting and territoriality, the reasons of being human are appreciated . . .
Sue
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
These Robert Sawyer dinobook a have been fun. I've particularly enjoyed the irony of this dinosaur race discovering the theory of evolution - and resisting it in the name of religion!
John Cooley
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
a decent finish.
Russell Mark Olson
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
I read this series in junior high and high school. From what I remember, they're vividly written and wonderfully imagined. Maybe sometime in the not so distant future I'll revisit them.
Ronald Vasicek
Ric Millen
Feb 20, 2015
Jason Paul
Jan 31, 2019

• Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Titan Probe: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 2)
  • Enceladus
  • The Wooden Sword
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
  • Flashtide (Flashfall, #2)
  • Ship Wrecked II (Ship Wrecked #2)
  • Warrior King (Odyssey One, #5)
  • Crossfire (Star Kingdom #4)
  • The Earthquake Bird
  • Autumn Bones (Agent of Hel, #2)
  • Dark Currents (Agent of Hel, #1)
  • La scuola di pizze in faccia del professor Calcare
  • Tex - Romanzi a fumetti n. 10: A sud di Nogales
  • Manuale di nonna Papera
  • Oceanworlds
  • Hero Code (Star Kingdom #3)
  • Artifice (Silver Ships, #12)
Robert J. Sawyer is one of Canada's best known and most successful science fiction writers. He is the only Canadian (and one of only 7 writers in the world) to have won all three of the top international awards for science fiction: the 1995 Nebula Award for The Terminal Experiment, the 2003 Hugo Award for Hominids, and the 2006 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Mindscan.
Robert Sawyer grew up in

Quintaglio Ascension (3 books)
  • Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension, #1)
  • Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension, #2)