Start by marking “Escape from the Past: The Duke's Wrath” as Want to Read:
Escape from the Past: The Duke's Wrath

Escape from the Past: The Duke's Wrath (Escape from the Past #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
When fifteen-year-old nerd and gamer Max Anderson thinks he's sneaking a preview of an unpublished video game, he doesn't realize that 1) He's been chosen as a beta, an experimental test player. 2) He s playing the ultimate history game, transporting him into the actual past: anywhere and anytime. And 3) Survival is optional: to return home he must decipher the game's rule ...more
Published July 31st 2015 by Lodestone Books

To ask other readers questions about Escape from the Past, please sign up.

Amariah Dixon Unless you've already figured it out, there are the words "write a review" (or something of the sort) underneath where you give the book a…moreUnless you've already figured it out, there are the words "write a review" (or something of the sort) underneath where you give the book a star-rating, and you click on that and a box will come up where you write your review.(less)

Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Max Anderson is a teenage boy that lives in Germany with his mother. Jimmy is his friend who has a video game designer for a father. Max had coaxed his friend to allow him to try out their newest game.
Things went strange for Max not long after he entered the game. He found himself feeling like he was actually living the game. The problem was that the game was set in the middle ages.

Max found a boy around his age named Bero. He was relieved that Bero allowed him to stay at his hovel. Max finds
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a reader of historical novels, but I really enjoyed Ms. Oppenlander's fun and exciting tale of a gamer named Max who inadvertently gets himself trapped in the past. The author deftly used language to transport the reader to a foreign world through the use of evocative sensory details. I was able to envision the sounds, sights, and smells of medieval Germany. As well, I managed to learn some of the geographical and temporal history of that area. All in all, a terrific read that te ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an arc from the book club (tbc) in exchange for an honest review.
Max sneaked a preview of a new game from his friend Jimmy. But it was no ordinary game. He was transported into the game itself......
OMG. Wow. Absolutely fantastic read.
I loved the story and the characters.
Max was my favourite character.
I loved the ending too.
I felt like I was in there in the game with Max and Bero.
It felt so real.
I do hope there is more to come.
Highly recommended. 5 *.
Di Stirling-Chow
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it

I offered to review this to recapture my youth! It’s a book for young adults and I haven’t been a young adult for (… runs out of fingers . . .!) well, let’s just agree it’s been a while. So this was an experiment. I still re-read my Famous Five books and remain addicted to the Chalet School but this was my first modern book for young people. Would I drown in text speak? No. Would everyone under 20 in modern times make me feel the need to ask them please to pull up their jeans!? No. Woul
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin on my review! I really enjoyed reading this book! It brings you to a whole new world and opens up a lot of possibilities. I love the concept of a game transporting you back in time and for the gamer to be live acting with the game. Max had to make real life decisions to figure out what was going on with the game and he needed to survive to get home.

I loved Max from the beginning, the author did a great job developing him as a character. At first we can see him as a kid who loves
Amariah Dixon
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow! That's all I can say. A very riveting story and great writing! Max felt so real and I really like his character development. In fact, all the characters felt real! I love Bero--who is so funny--and Juliana is very sweet. It is an intense and sometimes violent story. I like it though. Very entertaining and the detail is exceptional! It made me appreciate living in this time period. I even felt the pain and joys Max felt.
Highly recommended! Especially for fantasy, historical fiction and actio
Written Melodies
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to get my hands on the next book quick! Loving me some Max Nerds!
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Escape From The Past : The Duke's Wrath, a young man named Max discovers what it means to time travel. Max is a fifteen year old gamer when one day he thinks, he is getting a sneak peak at a new game but it's more than just a game, it takes you back in time. Once he discovers that he is in medieval Germany, he only hopes that he can complete the task soon but the question remains, what is the course of the game?

It's 1471 in medieval Germany and Max is in for a shock, after witnessing somethi
Nancy (The Avid Reader)

I received a free copy of the book from the author for my honest opinion.

Are you a big gamer? Have you ever wished you could be a beta gamer? Have you ever wished you could get your hands on a copy of a game before it was published? Well that is just what Max did in Escape from the Past: The Duke’s Wrath. His best friend Jimmy’s dad is a game developer. So Max kept begging and begging Jimmy to get him a copy of his dad’s new game. Jimmy finally gave in and gave him a copy.

Max loaded the game int
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
I received a free copy of this book via the author in exchange for an honest review. THis will not affect my decision in any way.

Characters: Max kind of had a good heart. He wanted to save the people he grew to love, but sometimes when he was irritated with Bero he just annoyed me. Bero’s and Max’s friendship was a weird one. At times they are on the best of terms, and other times, it’s like they want to fight each other.

I really liked the Duke. TBH I never learned how to say his name. I think
The Book Beacon
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great story about a teenage gamer who is transported to 1471 Germany. Max thought he was beta testing a new video game, but immediately finds himself far from home and modern day. While desperately looking for an "exit button" or way to pause the action, he must evade detection. In his contemporary clothing and shoes, he is obviously not a local. Once it becomes clear there is no simple solution to leaving the game, Max must do his best to save himself and the people that help him, eve ...more
Sonal Panse
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy historical time travel books and this one was an entertaining read. It is also set in Germany, which, since I'm going through quite a bit of German history currently, fit in well with my reading mood.

The main character, Max, is a teenager, who is loaned a new video game 'EarthRider' by Jimmy, his school friend. Jimmy's father owns a gaming company and this is their newest product, yet to be launched on the market. Our hero, impatient with the slow-loading game, clicks enter and then upg
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Escape from the Past – Annette Oppenlander

15 year-old Max Anderson suddenly has to deal with the repercussions of his love of gaming when a mal-functioning computer game sucks him in and transports him back 600 years to medieval Germany. The town he knows so well is immediately different - full of peasants trying to survive in squalid conditions and an aristocracy vying for power and position. Max is forced to grow up quickly as he is thrown straight into a strange and brutal land, with no idea
Franca Pelaccia
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
When 15 year- old nerd and gamer Max Anderson decides to try his hand at the master level of an unpublished video game, he isn’t prepared for the ultimate gaming experience: being transported into the actual past. The actual past turns out to be Medieval Germany, 1471 and Castle Hanstein, near the village of Rimbach, and the Klausenhof Inn, which still exist today in present-day Germany. Without any clues about the game’s rules or missions or even how to return to his time, Max uses his ingenuit ...more
Sandra Stiles
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love time travel books. This one here was over the top. You have a kid transported to another time through a video game. Every kid today will be able to identify with that. Imagine going from current time to medieval times. No matter what you have read in books, you would not have everything you need to fit in.

I loved that you were brought into the book and into the time period. This is what great Historical Fiction does. Students will be so enthralled with Max and his situation they won’t eve
Susan Hale
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Escape from the Past: The Duke’s Wrath had me hooked from the first paragraph. Annette Oppenlander has written a tight, original story where she inhabits the inner world of a fifteen-year old gamer who finds himself sucked into a computer game into medieval Germany. But Max soon finds this is no game. There are no rules. No exit button. The game has become uncomfortably real. The book is visceral and engages all the senses from the stench of a pig farmer’s hut, to bleeding cuts and bruises, to t ...more
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Author Annette Oppenlander has written an exciting new novel filled with action and historical events. The main character in the book, Max, loves computer games and is transported back to the mediaeval time period where he must complete his mission in order to get home. Filled with plenty of action, historical events, and even a little romance, teens will thoroughly enjoy Annette’s first novel in The Duke’s Wrath series. I would recommend this novel to any young reader who loves video games and ...more
Angeline Yapnata
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Disclaimer: I receive a copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book is not what I expected to happen. This is the kind of book if you like the concept of time-travel, historical-adventure book because I don't really dig this category but I welcome the changes from the other books that I read.

Basically, this book takes us to Mid-Age time around German where our character or 'hero' has to find a way to go back to modern day while completing several challenges.

This has my attention in the stor
Sage Adderley-Knox
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the basis of this story! A teenager, Max, enjoys gaming like most peers his age. After borrowing a game from his buddy, Max gets way more than he bargained for. He travels to the game's world! Now in medieval time, Max is literally fighting for his life. Escape from the Past is action-packed! It was interesting to read about this period from a teen's point of view. Especially one who comes from a modern time. I loved the wide range of characters from the royalty to the peasants. In the en ...more
Sarah Davies
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy for a fair and unbiased review.

What can I say, I love it, loved it!! I have never been a great fan of YA books as I tend to find them quite child like in writing. But this book is great from the first page the story flows so easily and gets you hooked.

Concept of a computer game that can take you back to the past is a great idea, but going back and not knowing what you are doing is even better!!

I would highly recommend this book, I do not tend to give many five star ratings, bu
Elizabeth Haines
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While checking through a computer game, Max Anderson finds himself thrust back in time and trapped in Medieval Germany. He must play the game of his life to find the way back to his own time, but what is the game and how does he play to a successful conclusion? Max makes friends as well as enemies during his journey, and Annette Oppenlander has created characters who are well-drawn and believable. Pure adventure and a joy to read. Escape from the Past, the Duke’s Wrath is the first in a series. ...more
Sojourner McConnell
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-travel
This was the first of a series about Max Anderson. He is your typical gaming teenager, until the game takes him to the middle ages. He is not sure what is real and what is the game. HE works very hard to make sure that he does no damage to anyone he comes in contact with, in case it is real.

The details are so realistic and Max is such a likable character. He finds ways to incorporate the things he knows from the twenty first century to help as he can in this time.

A great find.
Andrew Cairns
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Annette  Oppenlander has written an entertaining, swashbuckling adventure aimed at young adults, but which older people with an interest in the Middle Ages should also enjoy. It follows teenager Max Anderson as he travels back in time, via a computer game, to 15th century Germany. Hopefully this novel will encourage 'gamers' like the hero of the story to quit their game consoles for a while and read some books.
Susan Elshamy
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this fast moving YA adventure.It's about a teenage game nerd named Max who is transported through a game on his computer into medieval Germany. Amid pigs and peasants, lords and ladies, friendships and romance, he encounters one adventure after another while trying to figure out the game and get himself home. The author has done a great job. The book is excellently written, with appealing and engaging characters, and provides a realistic dip into history.
N.E. David
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Science Fiction meets Fantasy in Medieval Germany.
This book carries a message for all gamers - the real world is scarier than you think! I seriously suggest you get off that keyboard and get your head into a good book - preferably this one. Most enjoyable!
Dianne May
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great YA adventure. Max, a gamer suddenly transported to medieval Germany, is engaging. His medieval friends ring true. The author gives a real feel for the times. And the action doesn't stop. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Sherry Hudson
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great read for anyone, but kids will actually learn about history while reading through this fast-paced adventure. Readers are drawn in with characters they can relate to in scenes so realistic they feel they're right there.I highly recommend this book.
Stevie Causey
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Escape from the Past: The Duke's Wrath is a YA Fantasy about a boy who travels to Mid-evil Germany via a video game his friend's father developed.

From a formatting standpoint it felt like each page was a large wall of small text and my eyes became fatigued pretty quickly. My kiddo didn't have this same problem.

The book starts out kind of rocky, with a character we hardly know being thrown immediately into a situation where we are supposed to care about what happens to him, and I did not feel I
 Mummy Cat Claire
From the first sentence, I ate this book up. I read this in two days, spent all my spare time reading it.

Max, is a 15 year old who lives in Germany. He says, "My mom and me share space with a thousand spiders in a two-bedroom cottage with a thatched roof. Who in the twenty-first century lives in a house covered with a bunch of straw?" His parents are divorced and his mum works. No other siblings were mentioned, so I assume Max is an only child.

Max was given a game to try out from his friend, J
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love historical novels and series. I always enjoy reading them, even when they have some flaws. The Duke's Warth is no different in that regard. However, it is the first historical novel written for young adults that I've read so far. Annette Oppenlander did a good job combining the historical elements with the young adult genre.

As the blurb states, the novel is set in Germany. It starts with Max living his normal teenag
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Anomalies
  • Provenance of Bondage (Deadly Veils, #1)
  • The Warrior Prophet (The Watcher Saga, #3)
  • Chasing Eva
  • Night Shift (Night Shift Series #1)
  • The Twistedly True Tale of Ruby Hood (Ruby Hood #1)
  • The Conch Shell of Doom
  • Forever with You (Starlight Hill, #5)
  • No Substitute for Motives (Subbing isn't for Sissies #6)
  • Snowfall and Secrets (Omega Mu Alpha Brothers #1)
  • The Trouble with Family (Molly Anderson #1)
  • The Hunter's Moon (The Secret Warrior, #1)
  • Bryce (Scandalous Boys #1)
  • A Buss from Lafayette
  • The Sons of Gyges
  • Competing with the Star
  • No One Dies in the Garden of Syn (The Garden of Syn, #1)
  • Love, Alabama (Alabama, #2)
Annette Oppenlander is an award-winning writer, literary coach and educator. As a bestselling historical novelist, Oppenlander is known for her authentic characters and stories based on true events, coming alive in well-researched settings. Having lived in Germany the first half of her life and the second half in various parts in the U.S., Oppenlander inspires readers by illuminating story questio ...more
More about Annette Oppenlander...

Escape from the Past (3 books)
  • Escape from the Past: The Kid
  • At Witches' End (Escape from the Past #3)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00