Start by marking “The Hand-Me-Down Doll” as Want to Read:
The Hand-Me-Down Doll

The Hand-Me-Down Doll

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A lonely doll without a name endures a series of terrible misfortunes before she finally finds someone to love her.
School & Library Binding, 32 pages
Published September 28th 1983 by Holiday House (first published September 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Hand-Me-Down Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hand-Me-Down Doll

Melissa
This is not a fresh story, but I was mildly interested to find out just how the doll would travel from person to person until she found her home. The illustrations are well done (I love Dan Andreasen), and the palette evokes the old-fashioned setting, but the mixed historical markers in the story bothered me.

Horse-and-cart and a limo and a boy in cap and knickers tell me this is the 1920s-30s, but the shyster mean lady pays $5 for the doll which would have been about 60 bucks back then? (Yes, I
Storywraps
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First off let me say that the illustrations are truly gorgeous. They are vintage style and the colour pallet takes you back to days-gone-by. They are like portraits full of wondrous detail and expression. Wow! The book is worth the purchase just for the illustrations alone. But I do digress.

Glenda, a poor little rich girl, has everything she can ask for and more. She is poor in the sense that she values nothing and her sense of gratitude is non-existent. The more she has the more she wants.

On
Shelli
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This poor unfortunate doll, who only wishes to be named and loved, is given to a spoiled girl who has much to much. The mother of the spoiled child offers the doll to another, from person to person this doll is passed. And as silly as it sounds, I couldn't wait to see her finally be loved and given a proper name. That same feeling one gets after watching Toy Story and seeing life through the dolls perspective. Very touching story that should be read with and to your child's own special dolly.
Kate Hastings
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Grades K-3. An unwanted doll changes hands several times until she finds her forever home. From the description I was hoping for a read-alike to McPhail's Teddy Bear or perhaps an ecology or humanitarian lesson in giving. It wasn't either. But I still think doll-lovers and Corduroy fans will like this one.
Maria
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars

Nice drawings but I thought the story would be different. The doll finally got a home but it didn't go into great detail about the doll's new home. Very similar concept of wanting an owner and to be loved as seen in The Velveteen Rabbit.
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a sucker for a good doll story. This poor doll goes from being unloved by a girl who has too much, to being forgotten by careless adults all over town, to the arms of a little girl who will love her always.
Megan
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Geeze louise such harsh reviews on here lol. I'm giving it 5 stars mainly because my daughter was VERY interested in the story but also because it gives spoiled brats a bad name. Stop buying your kids everything people! :)
Annie Pasma
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Good little book. The illustrations are pretty. Recommend for ages 5 to 8.
Julia
Sep 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Very creepy and unsettling. Not an original story.
Kaytee Marie Walker
Beautiful

Good story with stunning illustrations! It will blow your breath away at how beautiful it is both in story and illustrations.
Emily
Sep 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
HORRIFYING. NOT FOR CHILDREN.
Molly Houston
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story.

Super sweet story - I loved the lonely doll and this reminder me of that but with a happier ending
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2012
Vinnie Batiste
Aug 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephen Kroll spoke at schools and conferences all over the world. He was married to the journalist, Kathleen Beckett, and they lived in New York City and an old carriage house in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. When he was not writing or traveling, he played a lot of tennis and walked around looking at everything.
More about Steven Kroll...