Start by marking “The Doctor Will See You Now: Recognizing and Treating Endometriosis” as Want to Read:
The Doctor Will See You Now: Recognizing and Treating Endometriosis

The Doctor Will See You Now: Recognizing and Treating Endometriosis

Endometriosis materializes when the endometrium - the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus - sheds, but does not exit a woman's body during her period. Instead, it grows outside of the uterus, spreading to organs and nerves in and around the pelvic region. The resulting pain is so physically and emotionally insufferable that it can mercilessly dominate a woman's life ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Turner

To ask other readers questions about The Doctor Will See You Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctor Will See You Now

Start your review of The Doctor Will See You Now: Recognizing and Treating Endometriosis
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: human-body
I have one question after reading this book. How the hell is it possible that standard medical training doesn’t routinely include information about endometriosis? It’s 2016, folks! Long past time to ditch the sexist medical models that birthed all that “hysteria” nonsense.

As someone who struggles with endometriosis and associated chronic pain, it is impossible to adequately express the frustration and hopelessness that accompanies being told that your pain is “in your head,” that “there’s noth
Nora Tate
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone who is suffering from Endometriosis! Finally concise information that proves you are not alone and that the pain is not all I your head.
Kelliann Gomez
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this book is a good place to start getting a primer on endometriosis, but I also think that a lot of Dr. Seckin's biases and opinions really show through the work. I have delved into information on endometriosis since being diagnosed, and some things in this book were really at odds with what I've heard and read from other researchers, like heavy periods and migraines being symptoms of endometriosis or the reflux menstruation theory. I know there's a lot about endometriosis that is yet t ...more
Tilly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars
I have been told to read this book many times for my endometriosis but I generally have used up to date scientific journals and a few more up to date books for my endo reading.
However, I am currently in a desperate position and so I thought I would give it a read.
Here are my problems with the book:
- Retrograde menstruation been dismissed now and is definitely NOT the cause of endometriosis.
- There were too many constant case studies. I wanted information on my illness and how I can treat
Kailyn
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5. I think I would have found this book a lot more useful a year ago, when I wasn't sure if I had endometriosis and before all the research I've already done. It is very much a beginner's introduction to endometriosis. There were some good parts, but most often I was frustrated and annoyed.

The good:
- Dr. Seckin validates the pain of endometriosis and how it impacts every part of your life. That's important.
- He is passionate about advocating for awareness, education, and more research. Also im
Steph
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I give it 2 stars because it promotes endometriosis research and education. However, on the whole I abhorred the book. I read it fully through because there is little information out there and this was only 1 of 2 books at our libraries on the subject, but I rolled my eyes so many times I thought they'd stick.

The author is very, very proud, and it shows. My recap to my husband was, "Here's my background story; Padma; I'm a great doctor because; I got an award because; this is why my way is bette
Gabrielle Carolina
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bir16
Easy to read, though at times hard to accept, this is a personalized guide into a condition few in the medical community pay attention to: endometriosis.

Please pick up this short book, compiled of antidotal evidence accompanied by medical knowledge, to learn more about women's health and the possible side-effects in your own life.
Meaghan Ethier
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think this book is in really accessible language for patients, and does place incredible importance on excisional surgery that is timely; which is super hard to come by in Canada. So a little stressful, but super informational for patients and family!
Lauren James  (storied.adventures)
A very informative read about Endometriosis!
Here are some things you should know:
Endometriosis is actually cells that grow on, around, and sometimes in your organs. It causes a women extreme pain and heavy bleeding. It can also cause GI issues! To get it taken out, do NOT get a laser surgery! It causes more scar tissue and hardens the Endo! To have a successful outcome you must have a deep excision surgery! Endometriosis is not a new thing, but it is a newly discovered immune disease! If you th
Mandi
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cried at times while reading this. Why do doctors throw pain meds and birth control at us instead of actually trying to fix us? Because this disease is highly misunderstood. I appreciated this book greatly and will continue researching so I can advocate for myself and make informed decisions. We need more educated and specialized doctors like Dr. Seckin.
Baro
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this book Doctor Seckin explains everythingggg about this disease and answers questions I've had for years despite seeing many "specialists" and reading a bazillion thingies on the internet about endo.

It is evident throughout the whole book that he really cares about women who are suffering from this and wants to help them despite the fact this was not what he saw himself doing as a doctor originally. He saw the horrors and how endo ruins lives and out of the kindness of his heart made it his
Markie
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
As someone that is in the process of being diagnosed with this disease, this book gave me hope. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has, thinks they have, or has someone in their life with endometriosis. Worth every moment spent with it, and I am already going over it again prepping for my next doctor's appointment.
Lisa Mace
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a must read for anyone with Endometriosis!
Jul 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
i’m putting this aside for the time being, only because it’s starting to cause me anxiety. it keeps saying to get tested and treated, but i can’t get the confirmation surgery until after i meet with my gynecologist at the end of this month. i don’t know when we’ll be able to do the confirmation surgery and this book is honestly just making me scared it’s going to get so much worse in that time. i think i’ll pick it back up when i have the confirmation.
Sarah Joy
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the most accurate *description* of endometriosis I have ever read - painfully so. I wish everyone could read this book and have a better understanding of this disease.

The book talks about treatment options - no surprises for the recommendations, and they are spot on - but I do wish it would go a little more in depth on how to decide which is best, and what they entail. For example, diet is listed as a treatment, but the book only contains a perfunctory food list with "bad" foods and "goo
bianca guerrero
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
I was diagnosed with endometriosis last month, after 8 years of pain and multiple doctors and gynecologists. I found out about Seckin and this book through the Endometriosis Foundation of America. It explains a lot more than the doctor that did my surgery has yet to. The pictures and diagrams are helpful, and everything is explained in very digestible terms. I’d recommend to anyone who thinks or knows that they have endometriosis, and to friends, family, and caregivers of anyone with endo. Secki ...more
Becca DeRuyter
As a woman with endometriosis, I love the education here and the passion of the EFA. However, it felt to me a lot like fear-mongering and “do had better take care of this as soon as possible and the right way or your life will be horrible.”

There’s very little mention of: everyone woman is different and that’s not much highlighted.

After reading many other books on endo and other gynecological conditions, I was disappointed.
Fikri
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick, easy primer on endometriosis. The book draws heavily from anecdotes of women who spent years being ignored/dismissed/misdiagnosed by their doctors, and while it’s nice to be reassured you’re not alone/crazy, after the third repetitive story (out of very, very many) I want it to be less “can you believe no one believes this?!” and more about the actual disease. That being said, I’ve read a lot about endometriosis but still learnt some things about its occurrence and treatment through thi ...more
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the best book I’ve read written by a medical professional about endometriosis, a disease which affects 10% of fertile women in this country. Like most experts in his field, he’s very confident in his approach and methods and he provides compelling case examples to demonstrate this. However, I would have appreciated knowing about those truly impossible cases, where endometriosis is systemic and therefore seems inoperable or too risky. Maybe they haven’t existed in his experience but I fin ...more
Jennifer James
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Doctor Will See You Now by Tamer Seckin, MD and Padma Lakshmi details the painful and frustrating medical journeys of multiple endometriosis patients who eventually find their way to Dr. Seckin’s specialized surgical treatment after years, and sometimes decades, of intense pain. In his book, Dr. Seckin describes how his patients have undergone unnecessary hysterectomies and ineffective laser surgeries, among other treatments, and how uninformed doctors told them that they were likely sufferi ...more
Kim Fenwick
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone with endometriosis I was dubious how helpful this book would be as I thought I knew almost everything there was to know. I'm pleased to say I learned new things; how the condition develops, new management techniques, how to approach medical care.

I would highly recommend it to anyone with endometriosis as well as sharing it with their loved ones to help them understand the condition better.

I think it also highlights how important it is that everybody knows about the condition to unde
Frenchellie38
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The knowledge in this book changed my life. It’s not an exaggeration to say that it also saved my life.

Essential reading for any woman experiencing menstrual issues of any kind. Cannot recommend highly enough. Informative, acknowledges the emotional toll of endo without patronising, equips the reader to advocate for her own health.

Thanks to this book I had excision surgery with a top surgeon instead of decades of botched procedures and poor quality of life. I am immensely grateful to Dr Seckin
Amanda Duddleson
Beth Washabaugh
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a great read. I was told I had endometriosis. I was beginning treatment as i started this book. I ended up dropping my OBGYN and finding a specialist off Nancy’s Nook. Dr. Sekin empowered me to be my own advocate and it saved me time, money and a painful road. I ended up giving the book to my mom, who has been a chemotherapy nurse for more than 30 years. She’s even learning things. He breaks it down so it’s easy to understand.
Crystal Star
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book. I wish every one would read it! Should be mandatory reading in Medical Schools, and Sex Ed in grade school. Can't believe how many women suffer with this, and the injustices that is being done to them. I pray for more awareness of this horrible disease, and change in so many ways in the future!
Sara
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a life-changing book for a disease with a huge stigma among both doctors and the general public. It really teaches you that you're not alone, and that symptoms you thought were unrelated can actually be due to endometriosis. It's just such a shame that excision surgery is not an option for many women, myself included, because of cost.
Savita Ramsumair
Very informative and humanistic

I can relate to do much in this book. I understand how these women felt until they met Dr Seckin. That's how I felt before I met my doctor. I will recommend this book for anyone who has to deal with this dreaded disease in form or fashion. Whilst, it was very informative, I liked the humanistic approach by sharing the accounts of his patients.
Georgiana
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
It had good info in it. I’d love to schedule an appointment with the author. I am walking away from it still feeling ill equipped to advocate for myself since most doctors have absolutely no idea how to treat this disease. It did provide resources to further educate oneself. I did learn a lot from it. Definitely read if you struggle with endo. I just feel like I still have more learning to do.
Leigh Bolin
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-popsugar
This book made me feel not so alone about having endometriosis. I recommend it for anyone who has been diagnosed or who has a loved one who has been diagnosed. Read as part of the Popsugar reading challenge as a micro history.
Caroline Craig David
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone currently going through the endo process, I found this book extremely helpful and even was helpful to show my fiancé so he could understand what I’m going through a little more. What I would like to have seen was more talk of physical therapy but it was great none the less!

• Ask Me About My Uterus: A Quest to Make Doctors Believe in Women's Pain
  • Beating Endo: How to Reclaim Your Life from Endometriosis
  • Private Parts; How To Really Live With Endometriosis
  • Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
  • A Bit of a Stretch
  • Caging Skies
  • Stop Endometriosis and Pelvic Pain: What Every Woman and Her Doctor Need to Know
  • Hujan dan Teduh
  • The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows
  • The Anatomy Coloring Book
  • Joe Ledger: Special Ops
  • To Love and Let Go
  • Toxic Toffee (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #4)
  • Everyday Grain-Free Baking: Over 100 Recipes for Deliciously Easy Grain-Free and Gluten-Free Baking
  • Live
  • Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains
  • Humility: True Greatness
  • Christmas Amnesia (Callahan Confidential #3)
Tamer Seckin, MD, is a Board Certified gynecologist and laparoscopic surgeon in private practice in New York City, practicing at North Shore LIJ/Lenox Hill Hospital. He specializes in treating women with endometriosis. He is an internationally known specialist in minimally invasive advanced (laparoscopic) surgery, and is among a very limited number of gynecologic surgeons in the United States who ...more