Start by marking “China Sky” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
China Sky

Pearl S. Buck

China Sky

Sullo sfondo del conflitto cino-giapponese, si svolge la vicenda
avventurosa e patetica di due indimenticabili figure di occidentali
che, attraverso le fiamme della guerra, trovano in se stessi il
conforto di un amore sublime. Mentre la popolazione di Chen-li, una
piccola città situata nel cuore della Cina, resiste impavida ai
bombardamenti giapponesi, due giovani medici americ

Published 1941

To ask other readers questions about China Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about China Sky

Start your review of China Sky
Richard Crowe
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

Pearl Buck has been one of my favorite authors for 50 years. I thought I had read all of her books until her whole library of work became available on Amazon. How great it is to find more books like China Sky. Buck's understanding of the Chinese people and culture during her lifetime makes every book feel like a biography of the characters. Her stories are so real and compelling that I simply cannot put them down. I would recommend China Sky to anyone.
LiteraryMania
I’m really just not a fan of historical fiction that focuses more on romance than plot. There are certainly other elements going on in this story, but the wartime intrigue really all takes a backseat to the dynamic between Sara and Gray. It wasn’t a bad book, exactly. It just didn’t really surprise or wow me at all.

I also found it to be a disappointing Buck book to experience after Good Earth. I was hoping for something with a little more depth to it. It was fine. It was light and easy to read.
Jeannie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-read
Simple story but interesting

Again Pearl Buck opens up the eastern mind and way of thinking to the western reader. Her years of living in China are so apparent in her writing. The love story is fairly simple, but the story of the people surrounding it , is what makes it interesting .you can tell she understands the common people , her characters are so true to life.
M. Newman
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another excellent book by Pearl S. Buck although not nearly as good as Dragon Seed which I read right before this. Like Dragon Seed, this one takes place during the Japanese occupation of China in the late 1930s. It is set at a hospital which is headed by an American doctor and his second in command, a female American doctor. A male and a female Chinese doctor round out the medical staff.
Sarah, the American M.D. had never realized that she was in love with Grey until he returned with hi
📚Linda Blake
Some might call China Sky a soap opera but it kept me engrossed. There is intrigue. There is a love story. There is peril. And there is bravery and self-sacrifice in the face of peril. All are set against the backdrop of World War II China being bombed by the Japanese. The plot was engaging but the characters were stereotypes of the Chinese, the Japanese, and Americans.
Teri Heyer
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a book by Pearl S. Buck since my college days. I saw this one on Amazon/Kindle & had to get it. I started reading & couldn't put it down. Now I'm on a quest to read & reread the rest of Pearl S. Buck's books. ...more
James N. Rzepka
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

As always Pearl S. Buck brings her characters to life, felt as if I was there with them. Love the way she describes the scenery; makes you see the beauty as she did.
Katy Lovejoy
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was my first war centered novel for school when I was younger.
Hugh Centerville
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I’ve Got This Nagging Feeling, Doc

China Sky is not Pearl Buck at her best. It has a perfunctory feel ─ hey, with my knowledge of China and her people, especially the peasants, I can dash off a pretty good yarn, and without much effort. Well, she has. A pretty good yarn despite containing one giant-size, potentially fatal flaw, as well as some smaller flaws.

Our hero, an American doctor, Gray Thomison, is saintly, altruistic and sensitive, and handsome too, the whole package. He’s established a ho
Greg
Apr 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book looks, reads, and sounds like a Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew story, right down to not-subtle racism, a plot with as many twists and turns as a mop handle, forced, formal-sounding adverbs modifying "said" or its synonyms . . .

I really don't have it in me to point out everything that's wrong with this book.

Imagine if Nancy Drew were a missionary doctor in a love triangle (with an American, of course) in China, and everything that could be terrible about that book was, in fact, terrible.
Rebecca
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With a predictable plot and one-dimensional characters, this isn't Buck's best. Still, even with its flaws, I enjoyed the suspense. If you want a fairy tale romance and spies in the midst of war, you could do worse than this book. However, overall I missed Buck's complex female characters; in this novel, their desires mostly revolve around men, unfortunately. This definitely wouldn't pass the Bechdel test, even with a female doctor in China at a time when there were very few femal doctors. Oh we ...more
Marina Maidou
I have read this author's books when I was a little kid (and I still remember the terror and the awe for this so exotic and mysterious world!) and she's one of my favorites. Her best novel, for me, it's the Pavillion of Women. This one isn't of her best books and to be honest, it seemed like a typical romance with unreal characters. Anyway, even this, had the magic of Pearl Buck showing the China before Mao Zedong. I think I will re-read her novels again in English, to see if the original text h ...more
Dan
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ho-hum. Is this meant to be a romance that includes a mystery complete with villains and heroes (but that can't be, since we know whodunit), or a thriller with romantic subplots (but that's lame, too, since we know early on that the heroes and heroines will end up together)? Either way, this was weak. ...more
Carla Brown
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is different than other Pearl S. Buck books I've read, but I enjoyed it thoroughly and read it very quickly. ...more
Dee Sun
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked it.
Donette
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
As usual Pearl S. Buck does not disappoint. Although this is the first Buck novel, I've read that has had American's as the central charaters. Great, surprisingly easy read from Buck. ...more
Debi

• Fighting for Love: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Matchmaking in Meryton: Two Pride and Prejudice Variations
  • Balter: A Retelling of Pride and Prejudice
  • Friendship & Folly
  • Scandalous Falsehoods (No Cause to Repine Book 2)
  • Unexpected Gifts: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel
  • Darcy & Elizabeth: Unexpected Affection
  • Golden Poppies (Freedman/Johnson, #3)
  • A Miracle in Meryton: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Variation
  • How Green Was My Valley
  • Family Reunions: A Pride & Prejudice Variation Novella
  • The Throwaway Children
  • The Explosive Nature of Friendship (The Greek Village #2)
  • Love Amid The Ashes
  • The Illegal Gardener (The Greek Village #1)
  • The Eighth Day
  • Taking Flight
Pearl Comfort Sydenstricker Buck Walsh (Pearl S. Buck) was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China for ...more