Start by marking “Camp Midnight” as Want to Read:
Camp Midnight

Camp Midnight

(Camp Midnight)

Ben 10 and Big Hero 6 creator Steven T. Seagle returns to comics with New Yorker Magazine cartoonist Jason Adam Katzenstein for a new graphic novel!

Reluctant Skye is accidentally sent to the wrong summer camp. Not wanting to please her "step monster," Skye is dead-set on not fitting in. That won't be a problem, as everyone at Camp Midnight-with the exception of fellow cam
Published May 3rd 2016 by Image Comics (first published April 27th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Camp Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camp Midnight

Start your review of Camp Midnight
Vivian
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
When your parents care enough to not give two hoots and a holler what bus you get on as long as you're gone.

Dale and Gayle are ridiculous and totally understandable as mock worthy. Lolz on the Munch homage when Skye finds out about summer camp plans that her parents have concocted without her knowledge. So, we have the heels dug in and determined to show the dingleparents wrong--when the unexpected happens.

Ahem, you kinda can tell from the cover that Camp Midnight isn't your average summer camp
David Schaafsma
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-children, tweens
Skye's mom is going away for the summer, so Skye has to live with Dad and a wicked step-mom, but no! They don't want her around, so they send her to camp, but she gets on the wrong bus, for Camp Midnight, where all the campers and counselors are monsters. Skye manages to make friends with a ghost named Mia, and crushes on a boy, too, of course, so she actually comes to like it somewhat, which we of course expect. The art of Jason Adam Katzenstein is spookily age-appropriate and fun, darkly color ...more
Maria (Big City Bookworm)
Big City Bookworm
Thank you to NetGalley & Image Comics for providing me with an ARC for review!
I’m pretty sure everyone knows how much I love Image Comics. All of my favourite graphic novels and comic series come from this wonderful publisher. While browsing through NetGalley, I came across Camp Midnight, the story of a young girl who gets sent to the wrong summer camp by mistake. Instead of a summer camp for young teens, Camp Midnight is specialized for teens of the paranormal variety. First of all, I will re
Ronyell
Camp

I would like to thank NetGalley and Image Comics for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Introduction:

Ever since I started using NetGalley to read some new books online, I have been on a NetGalley reading binge ever since I started and this book “Camp Midnight” by Steven T. Seagle along with artwork by Jason Adam Katzenstein were among my reads from NetGalley that I wanted to read through and I must say that I was quite impressed with this story!

What is
Mens Rea
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
What this book is about:

Skye, yes it's sounds like sky but with an "e" thank you very much, is forced to go to a summer camp called "Camp Midnight" because her mom is busy with the doctors without borders and her dad is under the influence of her stepmother or should I say...step-monster! Skye, of course, doesn't want to go to the stupid camp but she might even surprise herself at the end..

This is a middle-grade graphic novel in which we follow a girl named Skye whose parents make her go to a su
Melki
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A girl is sent to the wrong summer camp . . . which turns out to be just the right summer camp for her. It's a familiar theme of belonging and friendship: this time around monsters have been added to the mix. And, though I liked the color palette, the "ugly" artwork got on my nerves.

description
Elizabeth A
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, graphix, kids-ya
This graphic novel is about a young girl who is angry at having to spend the summer with her Dad and Step Monster, but turns out they don't want her either, so she's shipped off to summer camp. Only she gets on the wrong bus and ends up at a camp with real monsters. The art is cute and the themes explored, while appropriate for tween readers, don't cover any new ground (at least this for this curmudgeonly old woman!). It would however make a fun halloween read aloud if you have littles in your h ...more
Marjolein
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Skye was going to spend the summer with her Dad and step-monster, but instead they send her off to summer camp. Caring parents as they are, she ends up on the wrong bus and is forced to spend her holidays in Camp Midnight, a summer camp of the paranormal variety.

While this is certainly a middle-grade graphic novel I wanted to read it as Steven T Seagle was involved with Big Hero 6, an animation movie that took me completely b
Noura
My reading experience with Steven T. Seagle has been very limited to say the least but what I read of his work, I loved. So, I took it as a sign when I saw one of his titles up for review on netgalley and after finishing this in one sitting I can tell you that, if nothing else, it's quite gripping.
What took me by surprise though was the illustration and the colouring, they were quite atmospheric and helped set the mood for the story from page one.
All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this as a 24 ye
Mississippi Library Commission
One part creepy paranormal summer camp, one part hilarious snarky tween angst, Camp Midnight was a fun quick read. There's more here than immediately meets the eye, though, and kids will fall in love with Skye as she struggles with her divorced parents, being different, and camp bullies. Highly recommended.
Ariana
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

*I received a copy of this through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I’ve been in the mood to read some new graphic novels lately, so when I saw this one, I figured I would give it a go—and I am incredibly glad that I did. Camp Midnight is a fast, wacky, and highly enjoyable read for both the young and young at heart. Bizarre creatures and humorous dialogue fill the pages, creating a story about the power of friendship and the importance of acce
Trin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
So close!!! to being all the things I like, but can't quite stick the landing in any of its events. (I don't think I just stuck the landing in this extended gymnastics metaphor.)

Sometimes the art is moody and expressive, sometimes it's just messy and hard to follow. Some of the symbolism is lovely, some is anvilicious. Plot challenges were overcome way too easily. Could have used at least one twist that wasn't massively telegraphed. Could have used better dialogue.

But the brave human girl and he
Emily
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great reading choice for summer, when kids are being packed away to camp, some more willing than others.
I loved the artwork and humor of Camp Midnight, and the story was very sweet. I'm not sure if Seagle and Katzenstein have collaborated on anything else, but if they have, I'll be checking it out.
Jim
I love the art in this comic.

And omigosh, Skye is hilarious. (I think she’s the same age as my daughter – and has the same level of sarcastic output).

“Thank God.”
“Do not take the Lord’s name in vain.”
“How is thanking him vain?”

The story itself is enjoyable, and the art is pretty simple. But I love expressive characters with simple sequential art and this artist does really well with it. The coloring is well-done, too, and perfect for this book.

And the story’s not so subtle message a
Nicola Mansfield
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this way more than I had expected going in. First, we are presented with an aggressive, obnoxious teenager who can't stand her "step-monster" and is pretty frightful in her own behaviour against her parents. But she gets shipped off to summer camp mistakenly, I wonder, to a camp for monsters, where Skye quickly finds out that looks can be deceiving and that she's the odd one out for a change. She learns about accepting differences and makes new friends. The book's lesson is easy to see b ...more
Kat
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Camp Midnight is an enjoyable graphic novel great for children and also older audiences. I really liked the art in this one, especially the scenes with the monsters and the writing as well. The colour scheme is quite dark and bold which suits the story, and I was immersed in the scary camp vibe the whole way through. The protagonist Skye is very snarky and funny and I enjoyed the way that all of the characters were portrayed. Again, this is another children's graphic novel with a message, which ...more
Maye
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-graphic
”It takes time for things to make sense, Skye. Give it time.”
This was such a fun read with a surprising depth in it. It’s about accepting who you really are, about not being afraid to show others the real you and what you’re made of. It teaches readers to stay strong and not to be afraid of the monsters or obstacles around you. Great great read! The illustrations were simple yet very eye-catching too!

Definitely recommend reading this!

*ARC provided by Netgalley for an honest review.*
Amber
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The parents in this are a little too neglectful. Loved the camp parts.

I received an e-copy of this through Net-Galley for an honest review.
Laila Tarek
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this.
A full review to come soon.
Jason
I didn't have high expectations for yet another camp story "with a twist," but this far surpassed such expectations with its humor and drama. Skye's acerbic wit was the highlight of the whole story.
Tena Edlin
Not really my cup of tea, but the illustrations are great. I think my students who love graphic novels would enjoy it.
Alenka
This was OK? I enjoyed how dramatic Skye's complaints and feelings in general were drawn in the beginning; it made the comic have initial fantasy elements that allowed them to delay the reveal that the kids at camp were all real monsters/ creatures. Skye is not necessarily super likable and the lesson she learns isn't super unique - it's a "being yourself is the best thing" middle grade story - but the art keeps things feeling wild and strange in a fun a way. I found myself rooting mostly for Mi ...more
Stacy Fetters
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A camp full of spooky monsters that party at Midnight!! Where do I sign up?

Camp for a lot of kids is the most terrifying part of enjoying the summer, but what happens when you get onto the wrong bus with a bunch of mutants, ghouls, witches, and even a foxy wolf man!?

I really enjoyed this one. It was so much more than a campy story. It has heart, support, and a meaningful message.

I believe we are all living in a camp nightmare! Our camp counselor is the orange Cheeto!
Kate
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was tons of fun. Skye is sent away to summer camp against her will but it is not your typical summer camp.
Kary
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun graphic novel for elementary. Creepy, without being too creepy. It also had a nice underlying theme about acceptance and being true to who you are.
Ryan Fohl
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
It’s ok. I liked the background color changing from panel to panel to help illustrate character expressions. I like that the witch had a large head. The little monsters carving pumpkins were cute. The humor was flat. The story was less interesting and more simple than I had hoped for from the free preview comic.

What I learned: If a Wear-wolf gets shrinkage from swimming in a cold lake his donger won’t show through the fur.
Louise
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, comics
I received an advanced readers copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Skye is on her way to her fathers house for the summer, since the seperation of her parents she spends the holidays with him while her doctor mother travels to Rwanda. Skye really hates staying with her father and not because she doesn’t love him, it’s the evil step-mother (Gayle) or in Skye’s terms step-monster! Skye’s father, step -monster and even mother have a suprise in-store,
Skye spends vacations with her father and his new wife ever since her parents divorced. She would rather just stay with her mother. She thinks her father's new wife is a monster. Little does she know that they are going to send her to Camp Midnight for Summer camp.

Here she is saying goodbye to her mother.
Getting dropped off photo Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 6.27.18 PM_zps408hkdid.png

And here she is at camp.
At camp photo Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 6.37.15 PM_zpsbsxhv1mi.png

She was not supposed to go to Camp Midnight, but her father forgot which camp it was. Camp Midnight is a camp for all the super natural things to have a safe pla
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Well, the book certainly goes into the category: Looks good and sounds good, but isn’t good at all.

Because that is the problem with this book. The cover is amazing, the blurb sounds great and fun, but quite soon I got bored with the story and the art was just, I am sorry if this is harsh, but I have to be honest, ugly. The colours just run along like some rainbow on the run, and I just didn’t like how stuff was drawn.

Still I co
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #172 Camp Midnight by Steven T. Seagle 1 1 Dec 01, 2015 02:37PM

• Act
  • Witchlight
  • The Okay Witch
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula
  • All My Friends Are Ghosts
  • Flavor, Vol. 1
  • The Secret of Danger Point (Surfside Girls, #1)
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Camp
  • When Stars Are Scattered
  • Brain Camp
  • Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne!
  • EndGames (NewsPrints, #2)
  • Karen's Roller Skates (Baby-sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #2)
  • Sincerely, Harriet
Steven T. Seagle is an American writer who works in the comic book, television, film, live theater, video game, and animation industries.

Camp Midnight (2 books)