Start by marking “Fierce on the Page: Become the Writer You Were Meant to Be and Succeed on Your Own Terms” as Want to Read:

Produce your best work. Live your best life. Make your greatest impact.

You have everything you need--and you are everything you need--to do the writing you are meant to do. And yet the path to success can be difficult to find and follow.

Veteran author and writing guide Sage Cohen believes that ferocity is your best compass for finding your true way forward. She shows you
Published August 8th 2016 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Fierce on the Page, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fierce on the Page

Jamie Raintree
This book is now one of my favorite books on writing, right up there with the likes of Elizabeth Gilbert's Big Magic, but even with a more accessible and yet poetic approach to the creative life. I marked so many pages of inspiration, I may as well have marked none of them! Sage apparently chose her own name and it is the perfect fit. Fierce on the Page is honest, insightful, forgiving, and inspiring. I will no doubt come back to this book many times. I would classify it as a "must read" for all ...more
Aleksandra Janusz
Dropped halfway, may pick up later.
Not a lot of things I haven't already known, so not really useful at my level. The narrator's voice is also very commanding, so the chapters on how to be gentle to yourself don't look convincing: first a lot of thoughts on how to find your own process, then a lot about schedules and planners. While I do use them, and I appreciate a good schedule, I can see with my mind's eye the reaction of some other published writers I know. For them mere thinking about wordc
Candice
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extremely useful "self help" book on the psychological and practical aspects of writing and how to overcome doubts and move forward. Sage is open about her own evolution and her advice is encouraging and wise.

"As writers, we have a tendency to doubt our choices, question our themes, reconsider our genres, and imagine that every writer on the planet is doing something more important, more impressive, more coherent, and is more likely to result in success."
Liran Tal
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is very much focused on the life experiences she had whenever she was writing, from when she was a kid, had breaks, breakups, divorce and the amazing influential good people she attracted to her life that helped her get to where she is.

But it's not just that, there's a brilliant learning curve you get from her writing, questions we should ask ourselves (or in my experience, myself - the unpublished writer) about writing.

I found myself filling pages after pages of a separate notebook wit
Story Circle Book Reviews
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I enjoyed everything about this book: the paper it's printed on, the design by Alexis Estoye and most of all the words by Sage Cohen. From the Introduction, "Unleashing the Fierce Writer Within," to the final chapter, "From Impossible to Inevitable," there is inspiration to access your own strengths and "define success on your own terms."

"You Are Your Own Best Expert," Cohen advises in chapter one. She offers wisdom from her own experience of committing to showing up and "writing down what wants
Warren Nast
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent devotional book that covers the whole inner life of a writer. This book has heart and I will be keeping it by my bed for that quick inspiration or kick in the pants.
T.L. Cooper
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fierce on the Page: Become the Writer You Were Meant to Be and Succeed on Your Own Terms by Sage Cohen gently, steadily, and apologetically pushes writers to recognize, embrace, and project their fierceness onto the page. Cohen offers short essays, stories, and anecdotal evidence of the techniques she describes for finding one's own inner fierceness. I opted to do the exercises in the book as well as read it and found they deepened the experience quite a bit. Most are simple writing exercises th ...more
Erika Hayes
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started this book a little concerned after reading some of the reviews. While I saw some understanding in a few of those reviews, I respectfully disagree with the use of this book for writers. The concepts and ideas presented in short inspirational-packed chapters. I enjoyed the ideas provided and while the author eludes to her divorce and single parenthood often it is because she is being open and is sharing what worked for her. She once states that her move from New York to the west didn't m ...more
Anna Mattaar
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this book from someone without really knowing what it was, except that it was supposed to be good. And it was. Not all chapters felt as relevant to my life or writing, especially the ones that focused on the autobiographical, but a lot of the advice is more generic, about attitude and how to not get in the way of your own progress. It's clear that the author is a poet, and sometimes she seems to lose herself in metaphors that (for me) failed to communicate the point, but overall this ...more
Marian Bron
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fierce of the Page by Sage Cohen was an uplifting read. It’s a book I picked up hoping to become more intentional in my writing. Cohen offers lots of advice. Everything from organizing your writing space to embracing your failures, fears and audience. There are essays on voice and brand, among others. Most short 2 to 3-page essays that are easily digested. Over all a very positive and inspiring book, well worth a read.
Lorraine
Feb 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
1. "joke" about sexual violence on page 207. Amid multiple paragraphs of praise for the person making the "joke"

2. Felt like I was reading a collection of someone's morning pages. Each point was a breezy-easy platitude followed by a personal memory and mention of the author's divorce.

3. One chapter is a sales pitch for a friends' book about parenting.
Gillian Kevern
I was recommending this to people when I was only a few chapters in. Good to dip in and out of. Especially good to read while waiting in your car for the AA guy to arrive.
Carolyn
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this. It will be staying on my writing reference shelf!
Megan Close Zavala
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was great! All authors struggling with mindset blocks should check this out. Not every page or tip spoke to me, but many were wonderful.
Vicky
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational and some helpful hints thrown in. Friendly, engaging writing style.
Shelly
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading this was like having a talk with a very encouraging teacher or mentor. Sage Cohen was full of great advice, and plenty of permission to pick and choose that which works best for you. Being Fierce isn't just about becoming a better writer - it's about becoming a better you.
Kristi
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Fierce on the Page" by Sage Cohen is a heavenly, inspirational writer's book.

I marked on almost every page. I took notes. I was excited and budgeted myself only a chapter a day to make it last longer.

Brilliant, motivating, like a big warm hug, then a gentle push towards writing goals.

LOVED IT!!!!! Sad to finish...Anxiously awaiting her next book.
Terri
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first came across Sage Cohen through her book 'Writing the Life Poetic' which focuses on building poetic voice and putting poetry back into our everyday lives. I also had the opportunity of working on my poetry through Sage's online classes a few years back. From these experiences, I come to Sage's works on writing with high expectations of both a pleasurable reading experience and wise, practical advice.

And I am never disappointed. 'Fierce on the Page' is a rare and rich read, structured as a
Susan Clayton-Goldner
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I spent the last two days reading and digesting Fierce On the Page. It was amazing and so different from any other writing book I've read (and I've read a zillion of them) It is part how to, part encouragement, part philosophy and it gives many insights into the life of a writer. Her wisdom will be helpful to me as I'm about to launch my novel on January 18th. It really enabled me to focus on my brand--something I knew I needed to do, but wasn't quite sure how to go about doing. After I finished ...more
Karol
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fierce on the Page made me think about my writing joys, challenges, fears and what I let stand in my way from committing to my deepest writing aspirations.
The thoughtful and reflective collection of essays are inspiring and motivationally driven. I enjoyed reading them like visiting with a true friend.
Sara
Aug 14, 2016 added it
Review to come after the Christmas holidays. But in short, I'm so glad I read this book this year. *hugs her copy*
Bradette Michel
Mar 31, 2019
lo
Jan 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Sage Cohen is the author of the nonfiction books Fierce on the Page, The Productive Writer, and Writing the Life Poetic all from Writer’s Digest Books and the poetry collection Like the Heart, the World from Queen of Wands Press. Sage has been sought out as a literary instructor, writing coach, presenter, performer, and judge. Her prizewinning poems, essays, fiction, and how-to articles have appea ...more