Start by marking “Swallowed by the Great Land: And Other Dispatches from Alaska's Frontier” as Want to Read:
Swallowed by the Great Land: And Other Dispatches from Alaska's Frontier

Swallowed by the Great Land: And Other Dispatches from Alaska's Frontier

Compelling Alaska stories from Seth Kantner, bestselling author of Ordinary Wolves

"Seth Kantner illuminates an Alaska most of us will never know." Andrea Barrett, author of Ship Fever and The Voyage of the Narwhal

*Nonfiction short stories that pull you into the lives of those living in an otherworldly place
*Author received a Whiting Award naming him one of the
Paperback
Published August 15th 2015 by Mountaineers Books

To ask other readers questions about Swallowed by the Great Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swallowed by the Great Land

Start your review of Swallowed by the Great Land: And Other Dispatches from Alaska's Frontier
Russell
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These short, haiku-like essays of life above the Arctic Circle were exquisite. They bring home to a reader besotted with next day delivery how different life is elsewhere on the planet. How closer to the edge and how much more work is required to stay alive.
David
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
It seems everyone has a place they call home. It may not be were they currently live. But yet they hold some place as special. A place were they feel they fit. And others may never understand why on earth they choose that spot. But Seth Kanter takes the reader to a place most all of us would describe as inhospitable. Perhaps interesting to visit but not for the long term. Through his collections of essays about his life in northwest Alaska we steadily gain a sense of his home. It's a place were ...more
Adam Weinert
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ll be reading more of Kantner. Such a helpful and insightful glance at a life and upbringing very different from my own. Kantner and I live in the same state, we’ve been to many of the same places, our eyes have seen vast swaths of Alaska, yet we live in very different worlds.
Rosemary Jones
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writing, a bittersweet perspective of Alaska and the changes we are undergoing, great love and knowledge of the land.
Carol Jakubowski Delisi
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book... made me want to see the Artic before it is even more changed. Beautiful descriptions of the land and living in it and from it.
Emily Koester
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I visited Alaska for the first time at the beginning of March, and having finished the book I had brought with me at the airport, this was a pleasant treasure to find at my Airbnb. I had only read about a third of it before I went to a used book store down the street from where I was staying to get my own copy to keep and remind me of Alaska. Seth Kantner shares a view of Alaska very few get to experience and one I've dreamed of, and his writing reminded my of my favorite author from my home ...more
Karen May
Oct 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
No Lib
Alaskan short stories
Anna
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cold-books, gifts
In general, I like longer essays but these vignettes really describe a completely different style of life than the rest of us live (including urban Alaskans). I really like Kantner's admittance that his back to the land lifestyle is still different to earlier generations because of the snowmobiles. Fascinating stuff that is really thoughtful too.
Foxglow
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Kanter's breathtakingly beautiful descriptions of North Alaska and the lives of its residents both human and non human is enthralling.
Julie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
excellent loved the short stories and the vivid pictures they created for me
Michelle
Lisa
Apr 23, 2019
Jeffrey Anthony
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I bought randomly while on a trip to Alaska. I even pyt it down once, but then went back, there was something pulling me to it.

This book is a gem. It is a memoir written in short easily digestible stories, that immediately immerses you into the Alaskan wilderness, it's environment, it's people, it's way of life.

Seth has a remarkable ability to make you feel like you are actually sitting alongside him in his sodden earthen home while he makes Caribou meat sticks,
Carol
Jun 29, 2016
harriet sheehy
Jul 16, 2016
Yvonne Leutwyler
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Excellent read.
thomas baker
john schwartz
rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Day After Never - Nemesis (Post-Apocalyptic Dystopian Thriller - Book 9)
  • Beginner's Pluck: Build Your Life of Purpose and Impact Now
  • Ada Lovelace Cracks the Code
  • Madam C.J. Walker Builds a Business
  • Dark Paradise (Boise #1)
  • StoryJacking: Change Your Inner Dialogue, Transform Your Life
  • The Last Great Walk: The True Story of a 1909 Walk from New York to San Francisco, and Why it Matters Today
  • Redeployment
  • The Conservative Heart: How to Build a Fairer, Happier, and More Prosperous America
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Drones: The Ultimate Guide
  • Set the Boy Free
  • The Last Word on Power
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body
  • Pastoralia
  • You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable