Start by marking “Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill” as Want to Read:
Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill

Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill

Udo Erasmus presents research on common and lesser-known oils with therapeutic potential: flax, olive, fish, evening primrose, borage, blackcurrent, and snake oil. He exposes the manufacturing processes that turn these healing fats into killing fats, explaining the effects these damaged fats have on human health.
Published December 1st 1998 by Alive Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill

Start your review of Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
Lynley
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nutrition
My favourite line in the whole book concerns ‘Sunshine and Flax Oil’ and goes like this: ‘The oil is so smooth that you may inadvertently ‘oil your underwear’ when you think you’re just going to pass a little gas’. Funny because it’s strangely specific, and would have to be based on personal experience, would it not?

This author offers all sorts of lifestyle tips, including advice to exercise, the reason given thusly: ‘Our body is made for activity. If there were nothing to do, we wouldn’t need a
Mksavvy
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MUST OWN and USE.
Author doesn't shy away from quoting real research.

very convenient basic info on terminology and great tables to organize all the information in the book.

He is not trying to sell some ideology or convince us of any philosophy of life or something...just giving facts on the biochemistry of fats and [when research hasn't yet provided enough] gives his humble opinion when required.
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-books
This book provides a good overview of the different types of fats and oils there are and how much of each of them we should be eating and which fats we need to avoid. In short, we need to eat lots of different types of natural fats and avoid heavily and carelessly processed fats and oils and unnatural trans fats.

This book is a good place to start in learning more about fats and oils.

The author explains:
- An oil is not just healthy or unhealthy, how old it is and how it has been processed and how
Iona  Stewart
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately, I had to read this voluminous book in translation, which somewhat slowed down the process of reading it. It could be said to be almost the definitve work on fats and oils - the only thing is the book's a bit old (from 1993), so it presumably won't contain the newest information in this field.

It is not only a comprehensive work but an extremely ambitious one, in that Erasmus doesn't restrict himself to discussing fats and oils but includes healthy eating as a whole. I found it to
Craig
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-nutrition
This is unquestionably the best book I have ever read on what it means to have "good health" and how to achieve it. Written both at the scientific level and in layman's terms, the book sets forth good reasearch as to how the body functions at the molecular level and why certain fats, protiens, enzymes, minerals and vitamins (there are 50 essential nutrients) are necessary in the right combination to produce optimal health. The author asserts that disease (lack of good health) results from ...more
Eric
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
A MUST Have!!! Udo is a Genius!

I Think the Title is a bit off...(as I seem to remember the previous version of this book was as well), but the Book and it's content IS BRILLIANT!

"I" have beliefs that lead me to my own sayings or what I believe to be truisms, one for example is "There are no short answers"...another is; "Rumination is Required", and as a result, the answers rarely come immediately...we all have our own Personal Velocity. But we must Start and we must Try to become More Aware and
Simala Kureishy
Read if you wish to get an indepth understanding of fats and oils, their extraction, refinement, etc. at the molecular level. I don't agree with his stand on saturated fats.
Most notable example quoted in his book is that of the brilliant German scientist, researcher and medical doctor - Dr. Johanna Budwig.
Dr. Budwig developed a formula for cancer patients and other patients deficient in Linoleic acid. By consuming the protein-oil combination of flax seed oil and low fat cottage cheese, Dr.
Heidi
May 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heidi by: Brother David
This is the scariest book I have ever read... and the one every single person should read.
Merko
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding explanation of dietary fats and the effect on the body...great read!!!
Rakesh
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Essential reading for good health. I would have given it a 5 star, except for the fact the various of the author’s recommendations are based on theory or conjecture, and not backed by scientific evidence.
Ilah
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
I've been on a marathon of fat themed books lately, all of the point of view that we need a variety of clean, organic fats, including saturated fats from coconut and animal sources, and that trans and oxydized fats are the only real bad guys. I'm reading this one primarily to check out the opposition. Boy is this a contract from Know Your Fats, which focuses exclusively on documented studies and explanations of the biochemistry of every fat in existence, and includes numerous charts. I'm certain ...more
Shireemartin
Oct 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I actually had 20 pages left in this book, but I had to take it back to the library and then I moved. I'm bummed. I really loved this book. It took a LONG time to get through and there was a lot of chemistry that I wish I would have just skimmed instead of trying too hard to understand it. But, I learned a lot about diet and human health. The principles haved definitely helped me make some changes that have been very welcome. I have noticed big differences in mine and my family's health. So, in ...more
Jaroslav Tuček
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, and am almost tempted to recommend reading it - if only for its exposition of the oil processing industry's harmful practices. Unfortunately, the lipid-related material proper is largely without references and reads like little more than a sales pitch for Udo's overpriced concoction. I am not a biochemist and do not have the expertise to verify the author's claims ... he simply does not strike me as a trustworthy voice on the subject. Unless you enjoy taking ...more
Mike Spinak
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's been probably more than 15 years since I read this, but a lot of it stuck with me.

This is a brilliant book for understanding fats, and for understanding their role in health. That said, research in fields like organic chemistry, biochemistry, nutrition, etc., has made huge advances in the last couple decades, and I wouldn't be surprised if this book is now somewhat out of date.
Kimberley
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kimberley by: College textbook
Shelves: college-texts
As entertaining as it is illuminating. Some truly eye-opening and crucial information contained in here from one of the pioneers of lipids and EFA research. If only he'd referenced it properly, it could be an immensely useful text. As it stands, best for getting a thorough overview but you still have to conduct your own research of the peer-reviewed literature.
Ester Serrano
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It makes and exhaustive analysis regarding fat and its effects in health. Includes some technical information but it's pretty clear and easy to understand (some basic knowledge on chemistry might help but it isn't a must)

Not a book to get a "quick overview" but a deep understanding on this topic. I personally loved it.
Emerald Mansfield
Oct 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very informative. Everyone should take a look at this book and read parts. The majority of the population fails to understand the basics about this important food group. Udo Erasmus explains things in easy to understand, every day language while explaining necessary terms like what omega in (omega 3s 6s etc.) mean. So no excuses people; learn your fats. Better living through education.
Collins
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
The best book on the health affects of oil, and fats both positive and negative. Outlines the vital importance of fats for brain and cellular health. Also explains dangers of "bad" and the benefits of "good " fats and what they are.
Sonia Jones
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the best on the subject of fats
Kevin
Mar 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, food-n-drink
Beginning was good info on the world of fats but the last half was tedious and rambling about random health issues
Millie
Oct 21, 2014 added it
Great book. A must read for anyone who wants to understand the role of fats and what they do in the body.
Trisha
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This book had too much info in this. About fats and the chemical structure of it. It talks about the different diseases that can be helped with the proper fats.
Vickie Wolfe
Dec 25, 2013
Keelia
Jul 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Revolution of Marina M. (The Revolution of Marina M. #1)
  • After the End
  • I'll Be Your Blue Sky
  • Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker: The Unlikely Friendship of Elizabeth Keckley and Mary Todd Lincoln
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition