Start by marking “A Vicky Hill Exclusive! (Vicky Hill, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Vicky Hill Exclusive! (Vicky Hill, #1)

A Vicky Hill Exclusive! (Vicky Hill #1)

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Introducing Vicky Hill, a suffocatingly single reporter whose attempts at finding the right man and the scoop of a lifetime take a backseat to murder.

The debut of a brand new series set in the sleepy English town of Gipping-on- Plym features sweetly bumbling investigative journalist Vicky Hill, who will do anything to get that front-page story. But the unusual death of lo
Published March 4th 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Vicky Hill Exclusive!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vicky Hill Exclusive!

Mary Bird
Apr 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I can usually make myself finish almost anything, but I just did not want to finish this book. Maybe I didn't get what the author was going for, but I actively disliked every character - Vicky too. I was disinterested in the mystery too, so maybe it was really meant to be more of a comedy? I'm not sure.
Nicole
Witty, clever, and laugh out loud funny.....A Vicky Hill Exclusive! by Hannah Dennison is one of the most entertaining cozies I've ever read. Funeral reporter Vicky Hill is looking for her big scoop, and along the way has to deal with a cutthroat rival at the newspaper, a hedge jumper with Olympic aspirations, a mysterious tea shop proprietress who has a crush on Vicky, a horrid landlady, a possible satanic cult, and parents who are on the run. Highly recommend!
MsAprilVincent
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sophie Kinsella fans, people who find Carrie Bradshaw funny
Shelves: mystery, 2008
If you've read any of the Shopaholic books, you will recognize the title character of this book. She's extremely self-centered, jumps to the most outrageous conclusions, and is wrong 99% of the time.

But where I love Becky Bloomwood (at least, I love the original BB; she gets increasingly annoying with each new book), I don't have empathy for Vicky Hill. There was never a time when I didn't think, "Wow, YOU ARE STUPID."

I get that the author was trying to go for endearingly clumsy or humorously in
Sheila
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the Vicky Hill series. I liked Vicky. She's spunky and has a Walter Mitty outlook on her investigative reporting. She's funny as she imagines the headlines for her front page scoops only to find out she's wrong on those scoops. As she tracks down who is murdering whom and why she gets into all kinds of scrapes. While I could not stand Annabel, I like that Vicky has a rival for that front page scoop. It makes it all the sweeter when Vicky can best Annabel. I want to know more ...more
Colleen
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, series, fiction
I found this to be extremely weird. I could not relate to the character at all, and found her thought processes to be beyond odd. It seemed to take forever to read. Thankfully, I didn't buy the book but got it from my public library.
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I didn't finish. Just didn't hold my interest. I made it almost half way through, but the characters didn't seem promising, nor the plot.
Steph
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Wasn't awful. Just too many characters. Also, too many theories that went nowhere and made the story confusing.
Judith
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Stopped reading a third of the way in. Life is just too short.
Carrisa
Apple
May 19, 2016 added it
I picked up this book on a recommendation by Krista Davis (Domestic Diva Mysteries), but I was sorely disappointed with it. I saw it through to the end out of morbid curiosity, but I definitely won't be picking up any more of Hannah Dennison's books in the future. The main character, Vicky, I assume was supposed to come off as endearingly naive, but in reality she's obnoxiously immature. She's a virgin, which she tells us on every other page, and she's on the lookout for a way to lose her virgin ...more
Dharia Scarab
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just couldn't get into this book, it wasn't at all what I expected when I picked it up. While not necessarily bad, I won't be reading anymore in this series.

2 stars... This book was not very good, and I won't be reading any more from the au
Brandie
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Plum-crazy
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
Mmmm....not what I was expecting - & not in a good way! So I was hoping for a sort of Grace Smith (Liz Evans) & with maybe a touch of Stephanie Plum but seemed to get some weird hybrid of Becky Bloomwood & Agatha Raisin, not good...in fact I looked the author up as I wasn't convinced she wasn't another incarnation of M C Beaton. I don't know how old the author is but at times it seemed like an "old" author trying to be current (which why I'm reminded of M C Beaton!) Topaz on describi ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2008
Vicky Hill is trying to make a name for herself in journalism, but she's stuck in a small English village. Fortunately, she stumbles on a strange case involving a dead hedge jumper and chickens. Can she figure things out? The plot hooked me early and kept me going, which is a good thing considering how much I hated Vicky. She kept spinning wild theories that any sane person would dismiss. And her obsession with losing her virginity wasn't nearly as funny as it was supposed to be.

Read my full rev
Jenny C.
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Janet
Apr 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book irritated me. I wanted to slap the protagonist. She was supposed to be the child of a jewel thief who was familiar with police procedure, had experience with the criminal world, etc. Instead she seemed naive, was constantly creating wild scenarios out of no evidence, and checking out every man as a possible bed partner. I think the author was trying to create a humorous heroine, but I just found her annoying.
Bonnie
Jun 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
This got one star because it was the lowest I could give and get this review box to pop up. Blurbs on back of the book called it "charming" and "something a present day Jane Austen might write"-ha! they must not have been reading the same book-it was about as charming as road kill and one of the few mystery books I stop reading before the end-only got to about page 70. The reporter in a small English town premise sounded promising but it was a washout.
Rachel
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Vicky Hill is a junior reporter who mostly covers funerals in the small town of Gripping. A local man is murdered and Vicky decides to investigate his death to get a scoop for the paper. Vicky is incredibly annoying. She jumps to the most random conclusions given no evidence to support her ideas. She is also obsessed with losing her virginity and with the few single men in Gripping. The solution to the mystery comes out of nowhere.
Lori
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
A gentle introduction into the zany life of novice reporter Vicky Hill, who lives in a small English town. Vicky isn't the best of amateur sleuths, as her inexperience often shows itself during her ideas. Entertaining secondary characters. The culprit in the novel isn't a surprise, but Vicky will get her exclusive!
Catherine
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Vicky Hill Exclusive! is the rollicking start to a contemporary cozy mystery series set in a small English village, replete with an eccentric cast of characters and an endearing amateur sleuth. There are many laugh out loud moments, and I must now come up to speed by reading the other three books: Scoop!, Exposé!, and Thieves!

Nancyk
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fast moving book, meaning the storyline really moves along. All Vicky cares about is the next big story, and she will go after it any way she can. She's a good girl but she doesn't trust anyone. I really liked this book alot. I just hope vicky slows down enough in future books to have a personal life too.
Mascanlon
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I wasn't t sure as I started this if I liked it or not. A bit of a parody on many of the mystery/romance genres. In the end, I did. It was light hearted, a perfect read for relaxing and laughing. I look forward to meeting Vicki again.
April
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I dealt with it...it was funnier talking about it in company than actually reading it! I probably won't run to the shelves to grab another...but it wasn't horrible!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was plain fun to read. A good mystery with excellent character development. You begin routing for Vicki!
Nicole
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
fantastic cozy mystery series
Jacqueline Vick
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Walter Mitty meets Lucille Ball.
Micki
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
This was a cute mystery but sometimes the main character really got on my nerves for being so stupid.
Andrea Zanetti
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hannah Dennison did a masterful job with this book. Vicky Hill is fanciful and deluded, while at the same time savvy when it counts. I found this book wonderful entertaining to read.
Dana
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny! Can't wait for the next in the series!!!
Kate Carlisle
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I looooove Vicky Hill, and this was a fantastic introduction to a new series. Love, love, love!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • You Might as Well Die (Algonquin Round Table #2)
  • Chili con Carnage (A Chili Cook-Off Mystery, #1)
  • The Good Friday Murder (Christine Bennett, #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1)
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
  • Innkeeping with Murder (Lighthouse Inn Mystery #1)
  • Maid for Murder (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #1)
  • Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
British transplant Hannah Dennison is the author of the Honeychurch Hall Mysteries (Minotaur) and the Vicky Hill Mysteries both set in the wilds of the Devonshire countryside in England. Hannah originally moved to Los Angeles to pursue screenwriting. She has been an obituary reporter, antique dealer, private jet flight attendant and Hollywood story analyst. Hannah has served on numerous judging co ...more
More about Hannah Dennison...

Vicky Hill (5 books)
  • Scoop! (Vicky Hill, #2)
  • Expose! (Vicky Hill, #3)
  • Thieves! (Vicky Hill, #4)
  • Accused! (Vicky Hill)