Start by marking “A Soul Divided” as Want to Read:

A Soul Divided

When the princess of the technologically advanced Human Empire is kidnapped by an agent of the Mystic religion, they're forced to turn to the last person they'd ever expected to ask for help: Drake Ashbell, a snarky pirate who has a problem with authority, and a dark secret. When he's pulled into the conflict, Drake finds himself caught up in a fast-paced adventure that ...more
Published November 12th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published November 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Soul Divided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Soul Divided

Start your review of A Soul Divided
Audrey
Space pirates.

This indie story was just FUN. Its fast-paced and clever and light-hearted most of the time.

The hero reminds me of these guys:

Maybe thats cliched, but we still love them. He gets in and out of tight spots so often, I was impressed at the imagination needed to keep that up. It is almost too fast-paced; a couple more moments of some calm introspection would have made it just right.

It was enjoyable the whole time, and I sure hope the sequel is out somewhere. It just needs a copy
Lyra Shanti
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a blast reading this really fun, creative, and action-packed book. The main character, Drake, is really likable, and he makes you root for him, even though he's already got luck on his side. Even the creepy "anti-luck" seems like he's got much more to him than we know.

The only problem with the book is the somewhat typical damsel in distress type female characters. Sure, they're snarky and sassy, but they can't fight or do much on their own, and they know it. I can only hope there is a
Bruce McLennan
Last week I downloaded a science fiction novel called A Soul Divided from Amazon with the intention of writing a review. Id done my research and looked at reviews on Goodreads and Amazon and hadnt seen a rating below 4 stars. Id also read the Amazon preview chapters and even though it wasnt wonderful writing there was just enough interest as a concept to go that step further and hit the buy button. Ive read a lot of books that start off mundanely only to exceed all expectations. Unfortunately, A ...more
K.J. Simmill
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to start off by saying I absolutely loved this book, and for me that is not a phrase I utter lightly, in fact over the course of all my reviews I have maybe uttered this phrase two or three times.

The plot focuses mainly on the plights of Drake as he is drawn into a situation only he is capable of handling. Of course, it doesnt help matters that Drake is on the opposing side of the war, the Mystics versus the Human Empire. But desperate times call for desperate measures, and in order
J.C.
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, put him in a sci-fi setting, and you have Drake, the main character from a Soul Divided. Hilariously snarky with a disdain for authority, he delivers some of the best lines Ive ever read in speculative fiction, in a book full of witty banter among colorful characters with wonderful chemistry. I found myself laughing out loud at times as I followed Drakes adventure to avoid his past and live in the moment.

If I judged a book solely on
Christy Nicholas
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many writers struggle (and fail) to bring true humor to their characters. Its a struggle Mr. Quilter has overcome in his character, Drake. His interactions with Angela and Princess Olivia are realistic and interesting, set across the space operatic background of this world. The story itself is original, well-constructed, and worthy of some time to experience it. I like flawed heroes they are much more believable than the Dudley Dooright sort. And snark and smart-a$$ery rules any day!

The
S.K. Gregory
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A battle between the Mystics and the Human Empire sees Drake fight for his life and deal with some terrible events from the past. An epic sci-fi yarn, with a great storyline. The characters were well developed and I could picture the places quite clearly. I would recommend this book to sci-fi fans. Really enjoyed it.
Kent
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jeff crosby
I read it on my Kindle app on my phone, and really enjoyed it a great deal! I definitely want to read the rest of the series as they come out (if they aren't available yet.), and if they are written by my good friend's son, as the name makes it appear, I'd even consider going against my stance against paying for anything on Kindle, just to support the good work!
Aly
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a Sci-fi junkie, you should check this book out. I love the world the author created and the characters seemed to jump off the pages. I think this is a good book. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
mydogisawesomer
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best science fiction books I have read! The action scenes are well written, bringing the readers along as they watch the charming characters trash talk each other in a highly humorous way.
Steve Conoboy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fantasy. That's what we've got here. I'm far from the biggest sci-fi fan, (I enjoy it on the screen but don't follow much of what goes on in books) but I do think that magic in space is a pretty novel idea, and can't imagine that there's been too many variations on this idea. Immediately, then, there's a freshness to the work, difficult to achieve in any flooded field.

Things get off to a pretty quick start. Olivia, Princess of the Human Empire, looking forward to an evening of staring the
Jason Crutchfield
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drake Ashbell is a swashbuckling space-pirate and the only person who can rescue the Human Empire's princess and stop the one responsible for kidnapping her! The author does a fantastic job of making Drake cunning and ruthless yet still honorable and likable. In general, the story's characters were one of its strongest points. From Drake's half-brother, Vahn, to Angela, the rescued slave, each character has a distinct voice and personality that really shows through in the writing. I found myself ...more
Angelina Kalahari
I LOVED this great sci-fi fantasy story. Not only is it very well-written, but the twists and turns and laughs add to a cracking tale.

It's not easy to write such engaging characters, but this author has succeeded in bringing each character to life in a way that makes you feel you're there with them, experiencing what they're going through, and if you were to meet them in your everyday life you'd be hanging out and chatting like old friends.

The descriptions of the settings further add to this
Taylor Kole
Awesome Characters headline a fun world

The opening hooked me. There were original and interesting chatacters throughout. I'd give it a 3.5 star if allowed because it end open, which I never appreciate. Also there was a tendency to express character through dialog and then repeat what was just express in the following paragraph with an inner monologue. It was maddening. I almost stopped reading multiple times.
The fun Drake, loyal Al, and great antagonists kept me in the game. The action was
David Hickenbotham
Picked this book up at a writing conference with the premise that it was Star Wars meets Firefly. I can't argue with that assertion. It really was. The storytelling and dialog was uneven at times, but the pacing and characters made up for it. I flew through the book. And Quilter had me laughing out loud throughout the book. What more can you ask from a book, especially from an author's first book. I'm more than willing to read the next book as soon as I can get my hands on it.
Nikki
This book is written like one of those mindless male-orientated action movies with the male 'hero' who always has a witty line to throw out as the dead bodies pile up. If you like that kind of thing, you'll probably get some enjoyment from the story.
However, if you are annoyed by an entire cast of females being able to be replaced by a "sexy vase", I'd recommend a pass on this book.
H.A. LYNN
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I loved the action packed scenes, well-written characters, and Drake's wit. I highly recommend this one to sci-fi fantasy lovers. It has a little bit of everything which makes up a good adventure tale. Both the kindle book version and audio get a 5 star review from me!

You can see more of this review on my website, which is linked on my profile.
Margena Adams Holmes
I really enjoyed this book. Drake is snarky, but caring. I had a hard time putting the book down to sleep at night! The story is a little different than most sci fi books, which I liked. I would definitely recommend this book to others!
Alex Breck
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a science fiction book too often in the last few years and so it was with a little trepidation that I started reading this as part of a huge batch of books I bought at Christmas to help fellow authors.
I needn't have worried.
This was a well-written and often acutely observed piece of writing with lots of surprises and twists. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and it totally beguiled me after only a few pages.
Thoroughly recommend this book and look forward to the next two Fire
Elizabeth Noyes
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5.0 out of 5 stars
A Soul Divided
Action, adventure, mystery, suspense, and a dash of romance all wrapped up in a dazzling sci-fi world.

Jack Anderson
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters' vibrant personalities add depth to this fast-paced science fiction adventure. Drake is on a quest to rescue Princess Olivia and Angela from their kidnappers. The flirtatious and witty dialogue between Drake and Angela is humorous and entertaining. The characters are so well-developed that we feel as though we get to know them personally as the story unfolds.

Interplay between psychology and science fiction resonates in the scene when Angela journeys through Drake's memories and
Rebecca Bryant
The author did an artful job of painting this imaginary world which allowed the reader to become immersed in the sci-fi aspect without struggling to see it. The action sequences drew me in and held me, sometimes breathless, with lots of I didnt see that one coming moments. The plot was unique, the hero unlikely, vulnerable, and flawed, but entirely likeable; and the bad guy - the seemingly soulless Anti Luck - kept my heart racing. Both of these characters were well developed over the entire ...more
K.S. Agustin
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One great science fiction with memorable characters. Settings are vividly described and dialogues are engaging and funny for the most part. Drake Ashbell, arrogant and sarcastic, seems an unlikely hero, but behind the smirk and smart comments is a sad and painful past. I enjoyed this book a lot and I recommend it to all science fiction enthusiasts.
Candy Atkins
Jan 20, 2017
D. Alexander
Nov 28, 2019
Daniel Quilter
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Daniel M Quilter grew up in Orem, Utah right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. He spent his time hiking, camping, rock climbing, and anything else outdoors. He currently lives in Utah with his wife, Lauryn. He attended Utah Valley University and spent two years in Portugal as a missionary for the LDS chruch. He published his first book, A Soul Divided, in 2014.