Start by marking “Boogie House (Rolson McKane #1)” as Want to Read:
Boogie House (Rolson McKane #1)

Boogie House

(Rolson McKane #1)

When Rolson McKane stumbles onto the body in the juke joint across the woods, he never expects to be pulled into a world of small-town secrets, murder, and corruption. But after he discovers that no one seems to care about young Emmitt Laveau, turns out solving the mystery is mostly up to him. The visions and supernatural encounters at the heart of his discovery seem to ...more
Published November 11th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Boogie House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boogie House

Start your review of Boogie House (Rolson McKane #1)
J. Saman
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that I don't normally read suspense or paranormal stuff. That said, I liked this story a lot. There was a tremendous amount to it and I felt the pace was perfectly done as new information was unfolded just when you needed it to be. The writing was masterful (not a word I use all that often). That alone was enough to suck me in, but the story did not disappoint and kept me guessing.
Rolson McKane is sort of a hot mess of a main character. An alcoholic former cop who
Robbie Cheadle
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a supernatural thriller about a man who has hit rock bottom in life and then stumbles across the body of the son of a woman he nearly killed. Rolson is an alcoholic and spends most of his time drinking. His drinking has resulted in him losing his job and crashing into the car of a woman in the town where he lives. Fortunately for him, she is not badly injured or killed in the accident due to a stroke of good fortune with the way the car reacted to the impact of the crash. His wife ...more
Linda Hudson
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not sure I was going to like this book but it really keeps you enthralled. The storyline changes rapidly and there is interesting foray into voodoo.
Abhik Chatterjee
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got an opportunity to lap up this thriller after getting piqued by the cover and the story did not disappoint me. Rolson McKane is a vivid character, with flaws and heroism in abundance.

The book has been well written with boosters at the appropriate places. It does not let your attention waver for long. Splashes of the paranormal and gruesome crime make it thoroughly enjoyable. Best of all, the author paints a lasting portrait of the characters and the scenes...You cannot but be hooked.

All in
Paula Berinstein
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave this book five stars, but it dragged for so long in the middle that I just couldn't. However, the writing is amazing and the story is good. Even though I guessed some of the secrets the author still fooled me at the end. Very enjoyable if you can get through the middle.
Scarolet Ellis
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Boogie House: A Rolson McKane Southern Mystery by T. Blake Braddy was a wonderful story to read. This story is writen by a brand new author for me. I loved reading it cause it was about murder and paranormal which I love to read about both and I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about paranormal things.

Mimi Davis Hopkins
The spirits of truth

This is an interesting and entertaining ghost story,it kind of leaves me asking is my house in order. Is it or past which hunts us,and can we make it right,if it is!
Linda Strickland
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good book with a supernatural feel to it, my salute to you Mr. Braddy!
Linda
Rolson McKane- ex cop- alcoholic- a wife that ran and then came back with a LOT of issues of her own.. Throw in some voodoo and a lot of Karma and you have Boogie House...
Russ Troutt
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Boogie House is the first of a three part series that follows Rolson McKane, a former detective who, after losing wife, now only works on one type of cases; cases of beer. Like the bottle in his hand, his life has pretty much reached the bottom when he drunkingly gets behind the wheel of his truck and nearly kills an elderly lady in town. On this particular day he didn't kill anyone, but it didn't keep him from encountering the dead. While taking a walk later that night he travels both through ...more
Rosie Mcclurg
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book it was a mysterious and a little spooky but there was a story there when you got past the spooky part. We all have problems and hurts to deal with and sometimes a guy seems hopeless when his values are deep and really caring. Liked the characters.
Drew Wheeler
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So if James Lee Burke moved Dave Robicheaux's base of operations to South Georgia and tossed in some supernatural forces, you'd have Boogie House, the supremely readable first novel by Braddy. I'm curious to see where Rolson McKane goes next.
Anita Nasr
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Though Boogie House is his first novel, T. Blake Braddy writes with the self-assurance of a seasoned author. He's got swagger; theres a devil-may-care attitude in his storytelling thats very appealing. And he has the right to be confidenthe definitely has a way with words. I stared at her for a while in the quiet pleasure of the afternoon. Clever, unique descriptions like these are plentiful throughout the book and I really enjoyed them. But it was also a frustrating read. What seems to have ...more
C. Coleman
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't praise this book enough. It is rich, dripping in Southern culture, has excellent character development the weaves them into your soul. The action is well paced, descriptions that plant you in every scene without dragging the pacing. The complexity of the story is as grand as any thriller I've ever read. I kept changing whom I thought did what until the very end. This is an absolute page-turner. I could not put it down last night and stayed up until 3:30 AM to finish it.
If you like murder
Laura Libricz
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I'd give this 3.5 stars on account of the brilliant writing. There's a lot of clever passages in Boogie House, enough to keep me plodding through the story. This book is a lot of fun to read out loud. And although Rolson McKane is a very realistic character, it was hard for me to connect with him or even follow him around. When he discovers a dead body in the extinct old juke joint called Boogie House, he starts to poke around a local prominent property owner.
If you'd enjoy a well-written,
Donna
I picked up this book to read for a Goodreads challenge because I needed a book with a house on the cover. The problem with reviewing a book like this is that I had such a hard time getting into the story. I pushed forward thru the book in the hopes that it would pick up. Unfortunately, it just never did. The MC was always drunk so I really couldn't relate to him much. I really didn't care for any of the characters. The book isn't horrible but it simply didn't interest me. Overall, this book ...more
Joni Fisher
Haunted Investigation

A small-town packed with history, feuds, grudges, and lost dreams is where Rolson McKane hits rock bottom. An anti-hero of sorts, Rolson uses his time to stir up the locals to find the killer of a young black man. Driven by unseen forces, he puts his life on the line to expose the killer.
Plenty of surprising twists and memorable characters keep the reader going to the shocking end.
wanda york
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rambling take with super natural under current. An ex cop with serious drinking problems and we drug addicted wife who is thrown into a murder. Asked by the victims mother to help solve the crime a woman he also came close to killing in a dui incident.

Lots of twists and turn lots of old secrets speckled with supernatural occurences. Jumped around a bit too much but a good read
Lorraine
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, was an AWESOME READ!!

Boogie House, was an AMAZING read, full of life in the South. The good and the bad. Not really anything surprising to me there, being Southern born myself.
As a Southerner, we are raised on stories such as this. Sad, but some times, too true.
C.E. DeJoria
Weird who done it novel

Not my cup of tea. Story laced with paranormal events and the main character was difficult to understand. He was a disgraced alcoholic former cop. The mystery itself would have ok but the convoluted way it was told made it hard to follow.
Sharon
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
While the story at times bogged down and this reader was unsure of finishing, it did provide for a pretty good read overall. The crimes to be solved mixed with the paranormal created an unusual but satisfying reading experience. 3.5 stars
Reenie
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing mystery

This book grabbed me from thw very beginning. Rolson McKane is sort of an antihero, but he tries hard to do thw right thing. If you're a fan of Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series, you'll like this.
Nat Burns
Good story

A little repetitive in some cases but a good read nevertheless. The ending was a nice surprise and the slow reveal was well done. I did note that the lead character was so dysfunctional that it was hard to relate to him.
Linda Anderson
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different

I enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down till the last page.I think that the book was written about a different way of looking at things and it was interesting.
Kate B.
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An exciting debut novel that I could not put down! I recommend this book if you like Stephen King and other supernatural mysteries. Can't wait to read the next one in the series!
Barb VanderWel
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Jane Blythe
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rolson McKane has a lot going on in his personal life, and then he stumbles upon a body in the middle of the woods in an abandoned juke joint near his house. His life then gets a whole lot more complicated as he has to deal with small-town politics, secrets, corruption, his alcohol addition and the consequences of it, his returning ex-wife who is also an addict, and some unusual dreams that turn out to be more than just dreams.

This story had a lot going on, the mystery was complex with a lot of
Michael
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a dark, dark story. The main character, Rolson McKane, hit rock bottom, smashed the rock, and is buried under the gravel. He is haunted by nightmares, drinks like a fish, longs for his drug addicted ex-wife (he loves and despises her from one breath to the next), lives as a semi-recluse, and doesnt have a job (a DWI ended his career). As if this living breathing maelstrom of human depression needs another problem to deal with, Rolson is drawn into the investigation of a brutal heinous ...more
H.M. Flath
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Review of Boogie House by T. Blake Braddy

I received a copy of Boogie House from the author T. Blake Braddy through Goodreads, in exchange for an objective review. Thank you to both Goodreads and the author for enabling that to happen.

In thinking back after reading through the murder mystery Boogie House, the images that immediately emerge include southern blacks, blues music, ghosts and spirits, drug and alcohol addictions, supernatural occurrences, dreams and secrets. Boogie House is a well
Elijah
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Due to a life-long penchant for thrillers, intrigue, and the supernatural, I purchased this book by reference from an associate who likes the same genre. After finishing up the story, I am happy to attest to its originality and excellent craftsmanship. The author has a strong command of how to properly construct a novel and his vivid imagery and illustrative dialog is a testament to his skill. The characters themselves, led by Rolson, a dynamic protagonist with just as many flaws as assets, are ...more

• Dark Path (Bodhi King #1)
  • A Deadly Delivery (A Psychic Cafe Mystery, #1)
  • Ash (Asher Benson #1)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Come What May
  • Moonshine & Murder (Moonshine Hollow #1)
  • A Death Displaced (Lansin Island, #1)
  • Polar Bear Dawn (Detective Bernadette Callahan Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Secrets (Mapleton Mystery #1)
  • Vault of Code: A Cyberpunk Novel
  • Pit Perfect (Barkside of the Moon #1)
  • Redemption Lake (A Winston Radhauser Mystery #1)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley #1)
  • The Fat Detective (The Eugene Blake Trilogy Book 1)
  • When Justice Calls (Henry Biggston Thriller #1)
  • Licensed to Thrill: Volume 2 (Jess Kimball Thriller #0.5-1)
  • Critical Vulnerability: A Sasha McCandless Companion Novel (Aroostine Higgins #1)
  • Gone Forever (Jack Widow, #1)

Rolson McKane (3 books)
  • The Devil Came Calling (Rolson McKane #2)
  • Dirt Merchant (Rolson McKane #3)

News & Interviews