Start by marking “The Calling (Seer #2)” as Want to Read:
The Calling (Seer #2)

The Calling

(Seer #2)

Published March 8th 2016 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calling

Alyssa
About the Book

Remko Brant had never been so sure of anything as escaping the Authority City with Carrington Hale. But bravado comes easy when you have nothing to lose. Now a husband, father, and the tactical leader of the Seers, Remko has never had so much at risk.As he and his team execute increasingly dangerous rescue missions inside the city, they face growing peril from a new enemy. Recently appointed Authority President Damien Gold claims to be guiding a city shaken by rebellion into a peac
m a r y l i z
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
*casually dies in a ball of emotions* WHO GAVE THIS BOOK PERMISSION TO RIP OUT MY HEART??

So that happened. :P

(Review to come if I can ever get over my emotional scars and CERTAIN THINGS CONCERNING THE CHARACTERS.)

-----
UPDATED REVIEW

Well, that was a wallop of a tale.

Having just read The Choosing a few days ago and LOVING it, I couldn't help picking up the sequel right away. In a little over 48 hours, I had finished it. IT WAS THAT GOOD.

But there were a few things that I'm Not So Sure About. ;)
Alyssa
Blog Tour copies get shipped out on Feb. 3. I. Can't. Wait.

Micaiah
Woah. O.O So I ended up enjoying this more than I thought, AND I'm actually decently happy with the ending...except it's not the ending, because book three. XD BUT JESSE AND SAM. grrr. I liked Jesse. *glares* And Elise?! *shakes head* Goodness...

I might add more thoughts to this later...but we'll see.
Beth
The Choosing, book one in the Seer series, was a solid debut novel, though there were some things that perhaps highlighted the fact that it was a debut. In The Calling, the story is more fluid, yet a bit more stream-lined, indicating that Rachelle has continued to refine and hone her writing craft. The world she created in book one is seen from an outside perspective as Remko and Carrington now live outside of the Authority in Aaron’s camp. Rachelle gives the readers details of this world, some ...more
Jamie
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I’ve read my fair share of dystopian novels and while I tend to enjoy most I read, sometimes there’s some that stand out and tug at your heart just a bit more than the rest. Rachelle Dekker’s Seers Series has done just that and I cannot wait for the conclusion!

Not only is this a unique idea and world Dekker has created, but I love the themes of calling, fighting fear, trusting in a bigger plan in a dark world and what it means to be chosen. With the second in this series, we’re back with many o
Rachel McMillan
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MAN!

SO GOOD

#RemkoIsMySpiritAnimal

Exceptionally written and remarkably created world, Dekker establishes herself as one of the strongest YA writers I have ever read in this second Dystopian offering. Not only a treatise on love and family, but also on subtly-interwoven faith, this book secured the series as surpassing the Hunger Games for me. I felt deeply for all of the characters and while Dekker doesn't shirk from bleak heartbreaking, hope resounds with a pealing song.

(with thanks to Tyndale
Lou
OHH!! Those LOVELY spoilers in the description!!!

description
Marian Baay
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read ‘The Choosing’ – Rachelle Dekker’s debut novel – I have been looking forward to reading ‘The Calling’. I was happy and thankful that the publisher granted my wish and provided me with a review copy through NetGalley.

After Remko and Carrington left the city, life has not been easy for them. As the story continues in ‘The Calling’, Remko and Carrington are married and have a 4 months old daughter.
The Authority has a new president, namely Damien Gold. The man is ruthless and the
Hilary
Did not finish at 64%, which really tells you how unconnected I was. I'd almost decided to quit halfway through, but kept going in case I was about to hit a turning point. By the time I did stop, I just didn't care at all.

It would have helped to read the first book - I didn't even realize it was a series until after I'd received it - but even for YA it felt forced, with little natural flow and an awkward parallel. (It wasn't helped by a few word choices that kept reminding me of the Hunger Games
Jill
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads

I have mixed feelings about this one. It propelled the story along well enough, but I felt like there was a lot of filler material. I don't know if it really needed a whole novel. I missed Carrington. She wasn't in it much. There were some good twists, and a cliffhanger that makes me want to read the next book. It looks like book three will be out early next year.
Emily Parton
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book rattled me to the core.....!!! Remko's journey to faith through everything that happened inspired me to live my life in the same way that he and Carrington chose to live. I'm excited to see where the third book takes me!
Sydney Drinkwater
Don’t let the word “dystopia” make your hands go up and your interest wane. This is not your typical futuristic post-world’s end novel. The Calling certainly falls within the popular genre, but the underlying message and depth of truth woven into the story makes this a superior read in the category.

Back last May, some friends gifted me The Choosing, the first book in this series. They thought I might like it, because I was a fan of the author’s dad’s books. Rachelle Dekker is Ted Dekker‘s daught
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
The Calling is Rachelle Dekker's follow-up to her romantic and suspenseful dystopian debut, The Choosing. Dekker delves into exploring the concepts of fear, control, and hope while keeping you turning the pages with intrigue and suspense!

In The Choosing, one of the characters I wanted to learn more about was Remko Brandt, so when I found out he was the main protagonist of The Calling, I was thrilled. In The Calling, he's much more fleshed out as a character, moving beyond simply being Carrington
Lizzy Bueckert
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
What an ending! Ready for the next one!
Lauren
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
i'll have to admit it took me awhile to get through this book due to not having time to sit down and read it...but the little bits i read kept me going to the end!

if you read the first book, you'll know that is focuses more on Carringtons "journey" so to speak. this book focused more on Remko. the second part of this story is kinda more on the lines of the rebellion against the Authority, in a stronger sense than the first.

the "religion" in this seems kinda cheesy and weird, but i can see some
Eva
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
Not as good as the first book. And Aaron still annoys me/creeps me out.
Dorothea Miller
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I felt this book was a little slow to get started, but it's excellent. I can't wait to read The Returning! There's a great deal of intrigue and deception in this novel.
Mikaela Baggen
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as the Choosing but definitely an enjoyable read.
Kate (The Shelf Life)
I have been anticipating The Calling since the end of The Choose, Rachelle Dekker's first book in this Seer series. The wait was worth it!

We were introduced to Remko in The Choosing. And through Carrington's eyes, I wasn't sure what to make of him. I had an inking by the end of the book and The Calling there were no more questions to who he was.

I enjoyed having his perspective. Most dystopian stories focus on one perspective, here, the view is expanded, and through that, the world that we are di
Rachel
A riveting sequel to The Choosing. While The Choosing focuses mostly on Carrington, The Calling focuses more on Remko. Remko is going through the fire for sure! He is now a husband, a father (awww), and the tactical leader of the Seers. With all of this added responsibility and so much at risk, Remko lives in a state of constant fear. He struggles to let his fear go and live free of this burden that is overwhelming him. His love for and faith in Carrington has brought him this far but he will ha ...more
Yo Leo Ficción Cristiana
description

RESEÑA COMPLETA EN ESPAÑOL

Stunning sequel!

I know the second books are always the most difficult to write because you have to exceed the expectations that the first book caused; therefore I didn’t feel very confident that I would like this book as much as the first. So when I started reading, I was surprised.

First; in this novel we can read the point of view of Remko, the protagonist of The Choosing, which makes the story entertaining because it serves to know much more this character.

Second; the
Kelsey Keating
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure she could do it again. After loving The Choosing as much as I did, I wondered how any continuation could give me the feels the way that book did.
I'm so pleased to discover I was wrong. Taking up awhile after the first book ended, we're now in Remko's head for most of the story. Carrington realized she was chosen...her story and her security in who she was (the Daughter of the Father) was pretty set. I hadn't considered how Remko might not quite be there yet. Watching him struggle w
Kav
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Calling is the second installment of the Seer novels and I think it's best if you read the first book, The Choosing before starting in on this one. There are a lot of characters and situations that you need to be familiar with in order to be able to hit the ground running with this one.

What a powerful story! Action-packed and full of twists and turns and chockfull of so many moving inspirational truths. Like:

"When you know who you truly are, you realize there is no war left to fight at all.
Rayleigh
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author/publisher for the purpose of this review. All comments and opinions are entirely my own.

Picking up a few months after where The Choosing left off, we are thrown right into the height of the action from page one and kept in suspense all the way through the book. We meet several new characters and lose some dear ones as the story unfolds and the emotion is captured beautifully.

The main moral in The Choosing was identity, and while The Calling does build on th
Angela
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book was still my favorite but I still really enjoyed this one and I am looking forward to the final book! They left it was an excellent cliffhanger. There were a few moments where this book reminded me of other dystopias but still carried its originality. The villains... well are still pretty sick in the head but well written.
The faith aspect of the book for me was starting to sound like some hippy cult with Aaron as the leader but as you got more and more into Remko's journey to fin
Dee/ bookworm
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I truly love the covers of these books. Original and beautiful, some would read the book inspired by the covers alone.
The Calling is the second book in the Seer series by Rachelle Dekker. Like The Choosing, this book is told by many points of view, which is nice because you get an inside scoop of what is going on. Like The Choosing, this book also took me awhile to get captived. I really liked Carrington, but it was harder to identify with Remko. But considering the writing I think it is poetic
Janet Reeves
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rachelle Dekker has given her readers a brilliant sequel to The Choosing in the second book, The Calling. This book focuses on Remko, a former CityWatch soldier now living outside the city with his wife, daughter, and a growing band of Seers struggling to make new lives for themselves. Now that Authority City has a new leader, though, the group has a new threat. Remko, like some of the others, is torn between the desire to stay close enough to the city to continue to rescue people from it and th ...more
Fire
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rachelle Dekker has done it again. This book is awesome, I love the story, the characters have amazing depth and you truly feel like you are along for the journey with them and that you have known them your whole life. When I read her books, just like her dad's, it seems more like I'm watching a movie in my head than reading. The writing is so good it becomes vivid and clear in my head as I read. I love it.

The Seers are in trouble with the new Authority President Gold in charge times have been h
Cheri Swalwell
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Calling is the second book in this series by Rachelle Dekker. I am thoroughly enjoying the dystopia genre, something I never thought I would be able to say. It’s suspenseful, action packed, and filled with hope despite the despair that the characters are facing. I have grown to love Carrington and Remko, which makes me not want to stop reading so I can find out what happens next. I can’t wait for the third book in this series!

I received this book for free from The Book Club Network and the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Light of the Last (Wars of the Realm, #3)
  • The Heir War (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1b)
  • Beckon
  • Tremors (Stone Braide Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Hidden in Dreams (Book of Dreams #2)
  • Rebel (The Brides of Alba #3)
  • Rapture's Rain
  • Terminus
  • Mosaic (Harbingers #5-8)
  • Eye of the Sword (The Angelaeon Circle, #2)
  • Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)
  • Unlocking the Kingdom: The Battle for Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom
  • Wounds
  • The Land Beyond the Portal
  • Hacker (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • Unclaimed Legacy (History Mystery #2)
  • Light of Dawn
The oldest daughter of "New York Times" bestselling author Ted Dekker, Rachelle Dekker was inspired early on to discover truth through storytelling. She graduated with a degree in communications and spent several years in marketing and corporate recruiting before making the transition to write full time. She lives in Nashville with her husband, Daniel, and their diva cat Blair. Visit her online at ...more

Seer (3 books)
  • The Choosing (Seer, #1)
  • The Returning (Seer, #3)
“You can't lose this war, because your Father has already won. This isn't a battle of skin and bones, flesh and blood. This is about your faith, about your identity. When you discover who you truly are, you discover there is no war left to fight at all.” 2 likes
“Is that what living is for you? Breathing? We'' just end up right back where we started. Living isn't about flesh and bone and breathing. It's about faith. Faith that surpasses fear. Faith in something bigger than yourself. That's what we're doing here, showing people how to live!” 1 likes