Start by marking “Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks Fast (+Bonus Audios)” as Want to Read:
Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks Fast (+Bonus Audios)

Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks Fast (+Bonus Audios)

'EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE A BOOK COMES ALONG THAT COMPLETELY TRANSFORM THAT FIELD -THIS IS THAT BOOK FOR ANXIETY'

There’s a new and faster way for anxiety relief, but few have ever heard it. Most people are advised to either just “manage” their anxiety or medicate it away.

If you’re tired of just managing your anxiety and want a powerful natural solution, then appl
Published September 10th 2015 by BMD Publishing (first published May 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare

Start your review of Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks Fast (+Bonus Audios)
D E
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alright, so I'm finally starting to come out of this year long bout of anxiety and have quite a few comments, good and constructive, about this book. Please do not tune this out because I am not on the 5 star train or this being long. I hope my analysis will help you in your own journey. Here we go:

---Pros---
1. Simple: Presents a simple method. Notice I said simple, not easy. It will likely take time and practice. But it is easy to spot where you went wrong.
2. Personable: Barry talks to you like
Alana
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I seriously recommend this book to anybody who has anxiety and is wanting to be free of it.

I really wish I could've found this book when I first started to suffer from panic attacks after I experienced a traumatic event five years ago. The author himself has suffered from anxiety and has managed to break free from it. He writes in a very encouraging and understanding manner that is quick and easy to read. I found the techniques and the information given to be extremely valuable. He explains the
Chantal
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-en, kindle
Dare, is a great positive book about how to treat anxiety. I am hoping to start again with this book. Great tips in it and a great explanation of how to do things. Lots of examples and the writer really understand anxiety. Thank you Barry for providing me a free copy during corona virus.
Huda Fel
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
"illuminate caffeine... I'm constantly amazed by how many well-educated people come to me for help, and have never made the connection between the amount of coffee they drink and the sensitization they feel" grrr..

For myself, and all those struggling with anxiety

Check out Lori's notes :)

Matt Grimes
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i've read several books on anxiety. Most of which were quite helpful. But this one takes the cake by far. The simplicity and effectiveness of the DARE response to cope with anxiety is unparalleled. ...more
Sandy Williams
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I hate it when I don't immediately review books. I'm so forgetful, and it doesn't help that I haven't been highlighting anything in my books. I'm at least going to have to start that, and taking notes as I read.

My biggest remaining impression of this book is that it could have been 50 pages long. The author makes his case that you have to accept anxiety, invite it in, and only when you fully give into it will you be able to control it (although it will still always be there; it just won't impact
Tiffanie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I had to stop reading after this: "People tend to overidentify with clinical labels once they have been given one by their doctor or mental health professional. Yet an anxiety disorder is simply an experience that a person moves through, just like a period of grief or sadness."

As someone who has had anxiety almost their entire life, it was ridiculous to see anxiety being compared to a period of sadness. Not to mention that the author brushes off the diagnosis given by medical professionals. Mayb
Ms. Awai
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
1. I almost thought this was Satire.
2. This was basically the concept of Mindfulness for Westerners. This is, in fact, not new at all.
3. He seems like he isn't someone who's ever experienced anxiety first hand and what he's asking of people is unrealistic. Some okay ideas conceptually that would not actually work in practice.
Robyn
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is probably solid advice for some people but not for me.
The book's big problem is the amount of assumptions it makes -eg. get your heart checked out and trust the uneventful results.. But they weren't uneventful, I do have a heart problem.
And someone with diabetes wouldn't beat themselves up about it the same way those with anxiety do - I have both (type 1 diabetes & GAD) and I do (even if I'm aware that I didn't actually cause either).
Anxiety can exist alongside other issues including ph
Christy Papadopoulou
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a "must" read for anyone who believes they cannot live a life without anxiety or panic attacks.
The explanations, tools, and examples in this book are so down to earth, that from the very first pages you are motivated to go out and change your way of life and how you've confronted and felt about anxiety.
I only wish this book was around when I first started experiencing panic attacks. I am absolutely positive my life would have been completely different.
Still, I am most grateful, that ev
Courtney Hopper
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It works!!!

This book is a life saver. I've struggled with anxiety my whole life, but it only got to the point I couldn't function anymore in the past year. I've went through countless sets of antidepressants, got hooked on Xanax and right when it felt like I couldn't take it anymore, I've found this book. At that point, I was thinking: "There is nothing that can help me! But what the hell, let's read it!"
It amazes me that I've seen so many doctors, various specialists, therapist etc. through my
Bernd Schiffer
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
After the n-th time of self-praise for the dare method and this "great" book, after lots of vague and nebulous descriptions ("Remember that anxiety is like a wave flowing through your body…"), after learning that all scientific foundation for the book can be found in the appendix (and, apparently, nowhere else in the book), and after not being hooked at all after reading about 15% of the book, I'll pass. ...more
Joseph
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I will be talking about and referencing this book forever. I will be recommending this book to everyone I cross paths with who deal with anxiety. It brought so much light to what I deal with daily and really gives me hope that I can deal. Thank you Barry!
Allison Patterson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Acceptance is the key. It seems counterintuitive, but it is one of the only things that works for anxious feelings.
Very practical and real advice with some good evidence to back it up.
Patti
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was ok
Let me start by saying I don't think this book's advice is not useful, but I think that it is lacking in a number of areas that are too blatant for me to (personally) overlook. Personal background (as this definitely puts this review into context): I have had C-PTSD since early childhood, and have also been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and depression (since recovered; C-PTSD is managed well).

My first red flag is that I am immediately skeptical of anyone who claims "this one simple tri
Michael
No matter how deranged and shocking your anxious thoughts are, I guarantee you there’s someone close to you who is also suffering in silence..

As I have said several times before, I struggled with anxiety for years. It is one of those things that I rarely talk about to people because they always think it is not as serious as I am making it to be. Either that or they think that everything can be resolved through prayer or therapy. While I am not against those methods, I do think that there needs t
Lynette Caulkins
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone suffering from anxiety/panic and those who love them; mental health professionals
I got this because my young adult daughter and a friend my age both suffer anxiety issues in a way that makes their lives frequently miserable and contributes to suicidal ideation born of hopelessness and frustration. This book gives a person a remarkably clear plan of assertive self-training that resolves the stress of mental anxiety and gets you to a point where the physical manifestations no longer hamper you and even go away.

McDonagh clearly cares about people suffering from anxiety and pan
Richard
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Barry has done it again! Barry truly cares and that's the difference between the thousands of anxiety/self help books on the market. This particular book is a much anticipated follow up to Barry's very successful program. Even if you don't suffer from anxiety/panic there is much to be learned from reading this book... Please give it a shot, the world would be a much better place.. It's not a cure all but another set of tools to put into your toolbox for self improvement... Thank you Barry for be ...more
Paul
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic Book..For anyone experiencing Anxiety or Panic,it's a must..The Author outlines in simple terms the recovery method,and once you start reading,you will find it very Hard to put it down..Added to that is a Brilliant companion app with Fantastic audio support,Plus a very active and supportive Face Book Page...And at a very affordable price, this is easily the best purchase you will make,if you want to recover from Anxiety and Panic...Do yourself a Huge favour and take back con ...more
Erika
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a great resource for people that struggle with the thoughts and sensations of anxiety. It explains why they happen, what they mean and how to stop and change them. The writing is pretty basic and redundant and it overlooks anxiety that stems from trauma, but still a great technique for improving daily functioning despite anxiety.
Vanessa Richards
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are seeking help with anxiety, then get this book!
Elf
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
There are different types of anxiety disorders and I would say DARE is mostly for those whose anxiety is more self-hypochondria or fear of anxiety itself. There are some good methods and points for that. I'm not in this group though so I can't say it was very helpful for me.

I also had three issues.

1) It could have been much shorter. It repeats the same things too many times. That could be motivational for some but not for me. For me that just got boring.

2) Anxiety is almost personified. As if it
Celeste
This book's biggest flaw is its bad attitude towards medication. Here are a few quotes:

"Anxiety is not a mental illness."

"If the goal is to normalize anxiety, we need to demystify it and not get lost in the clinical jargon mental health professionals are so fond of."

"My heart goes out to all those people who seek a solution to what they’re experiencing and all they get is a diagnostic label and a long-term prescription for medication. These people leave the doctor’s office feeling even more abno
Christian Purba
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
WHAT A LIFE CHANGING BOOK.

I found DARE few months ago during my anxiety journey. I started by using their free app almost daily and at first, it seems like a tiny tiny change. As I go on practicing it the more i realize that there is a way to overcome anxiety , which is running towards it.

As I found this book, im already in a better state. Now im in much better place than before like really far beyond. I gotta Thank God that i found this, if it wasnt for Barry McDonagh I dont know how messed up
Tara Brabazon
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fine book. It offers mechanisms and theories of anxiety, placing it in context.

Further, there are clear and considered strategies in place to manage anxiety. They are manageable and doable. Also, there is a recognition that life creates anxiety. It is not a disorder. It is a product of life. Therefore strategies are in place to - every day - address the symptoms and the cause.
Marija
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for people who want to learn strategies to manage their anxiety with lots of good example from real life situations. Perfect fit for those who suffer from health anxiety.
Nopadol Rompho
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my life-changing books. I think that if anyone has a problem with anxiety or panic attacks. This book really helps. Read it.
Harbir
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Too long for its purpose. Was way too spread out, could easily have been written in 50-100 pages.
Jess
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Although the foundational concept - DARE - is a useful tool, a warning for the rest of the book for some troubling stances.

There are various mentions of normalising anxiety, an admirable cause, but still this does not stop McDonagh from falling into the trap of stigmatising mental illness - insisting "anxiety is not an mental illness", and often using little hypothetic dialogues about how people feel "insane" from anxiety. He repeats insistences that certain symptoms or behaviours are not "menta
E.
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
3.5 stars maybe four- I like that the author cuts to the chase-let's get to solutions without doing all of the belabored" how you got this way" background.

The publisher and author bill the book as a new cure for anxiety and panic attacks, which is counter to everything out there on the topic. Most professionals believe people can learn coping skills and even if anxiety subsides, it has the potential to reappear during times of stress.

Most of the tips are typical, though the author has developed
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Hope and Help for Your Nerves
  • Anxiety: Panicking about Panic: A Powerful, Self-Help Guide for Those Suffering from an Anxiety or Panic Disorder
  • At Last A Life
  • Badass Ways to End Anxiety & Stop Panic Attacks!: A counterintuitive approach to recover and regain control of your life
  • Self-Help for Your Nerves: Learn to Relax and Enjoy Life Again by Overcoming Stress and Fear
  • At Last a Life and Beyond
  • Rewire Your Anxious Brain: How to Use the Neuroscience of Fear to End Anxiety, Panic, and Worry
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • The Worry Trick: How Your Brain Tricks You Into Expecting the Worst and What You Can Do About It
  • Be Calm: Proven Techniques to Stop Anxiety Now
  • Hardcore Self Help: F**k Anxiety
  • Overcoming Unwanted Intrusive Thoughts: A CBT-Based Guide to Getting Over Frightening, Obsessive, or Disturbing Thoughts
  • The Anxious Truth : A Step-By-Step Guide To Understanding and Overcoming Panic, Anxiety, and Agoraphobia
  • The Wisdom of Anxiety: How Worry and Intrusive Thoughts Are Gifts to Help You Heal
  • An Anxiety Story - How I Recovered from Anxiety, Panic And Agoraphobia
  • Feeling Great: The Revolutionary New Treatment for Depression and Anxiety
  • Outsmart Your Anxious Brain: Ten Simple Ways to Beat the Worry Trick
  • Don't Feed the Monkey Mind: How to Stop the Cycle of Anxiety, Fear, and Worry

News & Interviews

“When you’re very anxious, you end up trapped in your head all the time— the prison without walls. Your” 1 likes
“Yet an anxiety disorder is simply an experience that a person moves through, just like a period of grief or sadness. Would we give a person with a broken heart or someone suffering from grief a label for life? No, yet people who go through a period of anxiety sometimes end up believing that this diagnosis, this label, is now a part of who they are.   “HOW” 1 likes