Start by marking “There Is No Right Way to Meditate: And Other Lessons” as Want to Read:
There Is No Right Way to Meditate: And Other Lessons

There Is No Right Way to Meditate: And Other Lessons

Take a Moment and Breathe!

In There Is No Right Way to Meditate, award-winning artist Yumi Sakugawa helps you tap into your inner self and finally find the peace that you've been seeking. Each page offers a unique perspective on how to lead a more mindful life, with captivating ink illustrations and encouraging words like, "it's okay if the only thing you did today was brea
Published November 1st 2015 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about There Is No Right Way to Meditate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Is No Right Way to Meditate

Megan Johnson
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There Is No Right Way To Meditate (And Other Lessons) by Yumi Sakugawa is not only an incredibly beautiful and easy to digest book, it really urges you to take a step back and reevaluate your own views on what it means to meditate. Although I too once thought that meditation was a rigid practice that may or may not work for me, Sakugawa brings home the fact that meditation is whatever you want it to be. It’s not about HOW you choose to meditate, it’s that you do it at all. That you look inward i ...more
MariNaomi
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
This is such a charming, sweet, calming book. The perfect bedside reading for nights when you're feeling anxious and need to laugh or relax. I love it.
Noura
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a necessary book.
Katrina Dombrowsky
Just read this lovely little book over my lunch break. This would make a great gift for someone looking to become more mindful or at peace with the world. So, I think I'll buy it for myself! :)
Lisa
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the author's illustrations and enjoyed the text overall. There were a few misses for me, but overall I found the book thought-inspiring for any stage of meditative practition.
Ameera Al-Ramadhan
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The drawings and the words are cute and simple yet so deep and meaningful. I am absolutely in love with every page of that heartwarming little book.
Hannah Jane
I can’t get enough of the lessons and illustrations in this book! There’s no doubt in my mind I will copy and enlarge at least one page to hang somewhere in my office. This book clicked with me on multiple levels. Many of Sakugawa's lessons breathed fresh air into stale and wordy concepts with simple language and clever, poignant illustrations. For example, “breathe out your bad mood and watch it disappear into the sky.” And thanks to her fitting portrayal of negativity through the use of dark a ...more
Alexi
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed flipping through this short, beautiful book that gave me so much inspiration in so few words. While I haven't read anything else by Sakugawa, nor do I intend to, this book was very cute and I enjoyed flipping through. The words are well placed and powerful, and the drawings are humble but very interesting and unique.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for positivity and encouragement to lead a mentally and emotionally balanced life.
Jasmine
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
My thought monster is pretty intense today so I wasn't as open to a lot of the advice given in this. However I think on a day where I can fully breath and accept things I would like to try some of the techniques. I know all of them won't work for me for sure, but that's why there are so many different ways to Meditate.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This was a very awesome little guide - and a super quick read. I'm adding it to my wish-list because I think this is exactly the kind of thing I need to reread when I'm having a particularly rough day.
Sian Lile-Pastore
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly cute book which also has lovely meditation tips. Going to buy all of yumi's books!
Shruthi Jothsana
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a beautiful and a simple collection of illustrations that relaxes our mind. Definitely worth re-reading n no. of times.
Kelly
What a great little read. The perfect book to end 2016. Yumi packs such depth into so few words and images.
Alec Eaves
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read a book called there is no right way to meditate (and other lessons) by Yumi Sakugawa. The book is about meditating and getting rid of bad energy. This book is about meditation and how there is multiple different ways that you can meditate wherever you are. It shows you how to relax and and be happy by pushing negative energy out of your body. There are a lot of pictures in the book showing what to do while you are reading it so you understand it more and you can actually picture doing it ...more
Kels
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
simple beginner’s guide to meditation.

Yumi Sakugawa can do no wrong. I love everything by her. The artwork is whimsical. The lessons are concise, but meaningful, and don’t downplay the severity of anxiety or depression, which is refreshing. This book isn’t passed off as a cure, but gives people different ways to visualize their anxieties or pain in order to help lessen the effects, written by someone who’s obviously “been there”.
Val Bayhon
I can't describe how lovely this book is. All I know is that Sakugawa managed to talk to my heart, mind, and soul without complicated words (and I liked it).

A great book to make a reader be mindful of one's own thoughts and actions. It also reminds that happiness and contentment come more from the inside than of the outside.
Iria D.
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
It's a small delicattessen to return no when one is feeling angsty. It is a recollection of thoughts, drawings and pieces of advice with the aim of telling you that it's ok, that you're ok.
Some pieces brought a smile, that's always a good review.
Morpheyy
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very useful to have a visual guide on the different ways you can meditate. I experienced moments of utter zen. it's funny, too, in some places, and I found the last one strangely touching. Well worth the 15 mins or so it takes to finish this.
Merissa
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute, small book. Can be read in 10 minutes. High rating for the visuals and unique tra-la-la whimsical approach to meditation. Bite size exercises to try that aren’t stiff and rigid for a quicker picker upper.
Wendy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a darling little book. I love the main message -- there is no right (or wrong) way to meditate. Just do it. Some way. Some how. Every day. And you'll feel better. Also, it has some simple meditation exercises to try. Highly recommend for newbie and oldie meditators alike.
Lisa
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A short little book about meditation and how to more easily fit it into your everyday life and hopefully not let life overwhelm you. The art was nice, but the whole book seemed a bit too akin to "The Secret" with essentially "imagine your goals and the universe will handle it for you."
Liz Michaels
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining and concise book about meditation. a pleasure to read and reread.
Olivia
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Yumi Sakugawa’s art style!! It is bright and colorful and amazing.
Ana Gutierrez
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This little book is short but sweet and imaginative. I particularly liked the last meditation, "The Rock In Your Heart".
Rachelle
Fun book with comics to learn about meditating and centering one self. Power in humor :)
Siddhi B
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a charming little feel-good book! ❤ ...more
Cydney
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations about anxiety in this book-I found it really helpful. Beautifully drawn.
Violeta
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
The encouragement to create peace through meditation is useful, but the illustrations and color palette could have been been so much better while still achieving a peaceful and calming vibe.
Elsa Ers
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always read Yumi Sakugawa's book when feeling bad. They're always uplifting and full of wisdom - and the illustrations are beautiful as well.
Sylvia Stalter
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY GOSH

I love Yumi Sakugawa from her other books and this one did not disappoint. I love to find books that I can read over and over and this is definitely one of them!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Fart Party, Vol. 2
  • Ang Mga Lambing ni Lolo Ding
  • The Best of Pupung (The Best of Pupung, #6)
  • Princess Lea: The Life Story of Lea Salonga
  • Everything We Miss
  • Cecil and Jordan in New York
  • Punctuation Celebration
  • Nine Ways to Disappear
  • Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
  • Indoor Voice
  • Einstein
  • 32 Stories: The Complete Optic Nerve Mini-Comics
California-based comic artist and illustrator Yumi Sakugawa's work has featured everything from lonely one-eyed monsters to an ode to The Baby-Sitters Club character Claudia Kishi. Her off-beat comics that explore the trials and tribulations of human interaction have been featured in Sadie Magazine and The Rumpus and her comic zine Mundane Fortunes for the Next Ten Billion Years And Other Stories ...more