Start by marking “Iqbal” as Want to Read:
Iqbal

Iqbal

When young Iqbal is sold into slavery at a carpet factory, his arrival changes everything for the other overworked and abused chidren there. It is Iqbal who explains to them that despite their master's promises, he plans on keeping them as his slaves indefinetely. But it is also Iqbal who inspires the other children to look to a future free from toil...and is brave enough ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Aladdin (first published 2001)

Start your review of Iqbal
Sarah_ E1
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Iqbal reminds me of Salva in ALWTW. They both had no freedom, and could not do what they desired. But had trust and confidence to do what they believed in and never gave up.

Iqbal had hope and determination that he would free the children from child labor in Pakistan, even though when he shared his thoughts, nobody believed him. 6 million of the children are worked in forced or bonded labor. In carpet making, they worked from dusk till dawn, squatting for hours having the sun beating on them, and
Stella❤️ 孔凡星
Second Read: March 2019 💕First Read: April 2015
Euna Lee
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Based on the true accounts of a real life hero, Iqbal Masih, "Iqbal" leaves the reader captivated by the heroic young children of the book and saddened by the existence of child bondage and slavery. The most compelling element of the book was evidently the characters. The tribulations of each child told through the eyes of Fatima and his heroic escape from bondage in the carpet factory inspires any reader who can feel the pain as the children face abuse, neglect and harsh exploitation.

Chapter O
Mallory Bourke
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was gut wrenching to read at certain points, because of the images that are created by the author's descritption. It is about a young boy from Pakistan named Iqbal. He is very brave, which also gets him into a lot of trouble. You can't help but root for this character who is a hero. You are constantly scared of what may happen to the characters. I really enjoyed reading the book and it is something I would introduce to my students who may not have a lot of knowledge about what happens ...more
Dana Fontaine
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very symbolic book about freedom, hope, and child labor. This books is about Iqbal, and Fatima, two children who are indentured slaves in Pakistan. Fatima narrates the book, while Iqbal is the main character. Iqbal is sold from merchant to merchant because he is rebellious. One of the many times he runs away he runs across an activist that is against child labor. He trusts in the wrong people and he confides to the corrupt police force that he is a runaway. They take him back to h ...more
Reeda Booke
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The story of a brave boy who was sold to a rug factory as a slave to pay off a family debt and his courageous battle to free all children in slavery for a hope of a better life as free children. This is a true story as told by Fatima, who was also a child slave, and recounts his life to free them from a life of cruelty, long hours and little food.
It was a heartbreaking story, sure to bring tears to your eyes, but also a story of bravery and courage for one so young to be able to stand up for him
Maya Palavali
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good that if I had a bucket of stars, I would dump it on this book. Real rating: Infinite stars.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Neha Patel
Amazing representation of child labor and the bravery boy who opposed it!
Jonathan
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you need a quick read, then this book is perfect because it’s descriptive and only 120 pages.
Linda Lipko
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
When finishing a book such as this, I'm reminded why I love to read! Books open a world of information and a few pages of a previous unknown subject can lead to the craving to learn more and more and more.

Iqbal is a fictionalized novel based on a real-life young man who made a tremendous difference in Pakistan and drew a bright light on the dark, dirty, despicable issue of child slave labor.

Iqbal Masih was a child slave sold by his mother to pay family debts. It was not uncommon for money lender
Astra
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was about a slave, a boy named Iqbal who came to a carpet factory one day to work after his other masters sold him. He slashed up a carpet with a knife he used for his work; he was trying to rebel against the owners of the carpet factory. He escaped along with all the other child slaves (and only one knew how to read) working in the factory and so then he became leader of a group of people who fight against child labor. It's a true story.

It made me feel like children have power, and it made
Anoushka K.
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Daniel E
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I give the first half of Iqbal a go three. First, I like "Iqbal". Next I lake story. However, I do not like Hussein Khan because he is bad for all these reasons, I give the first half of Iqbal a three.
KellenD
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a really good book. I think it is a great balanced book and I like how it gave detail.
Mackenzie
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Sarah Edwards
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Iqbal is based on Iqbal Masih's life as a bonded laborer in Pakistan during the early 1990s. This fictionalized account of what happens when one boy lets go of fear to better his plight and help his friends find freedom is inspirational and motivating. It leads readers to investigate and question the enforcement of human rights globally.

This historical fiction text incorporates a plethora of figurative language and symbolism. The vocabulary utilized is basic enough for an upper elementary school
Cecily
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought the book "Iqbal" by Francesco D'Adamo was very good. The story is told through the eyes of a young girl named Fatima, who works in a carpet factory with other children. The work is hard and not fit for children. Life is hard for them, until Iqbal arrives and changes everything.

I thought this book was very good because the story was interesting. The story was always very surprising. One example of this is when Iqbal sliced the carpet that would make the master, Hussain Khan, a lot of mo
Emma McKinny
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Peter
Jaeyoon
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eugene
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
hmm

I don't really know how to rate this since I don't read much non-fiction, so I'm going with the following: how I would rate it as if it were a fictional book (2 GR stars: it was okay) plus a bonus star for the information level (not much) and for the cause (good cause). Maybe it deserves a higher rating, I don't know. I found it pretty shallow and fairy tale-like, but should it be blamed for that, given that at least the skeleton of the story consists of just real life events? I dunno.
Victoria Rodríguez
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible and shocking book, it let me intrigued. If you're interested in reading something different this is the perfect book. Iqbal is a young boy who works for a carpet factory. He arrives at the factory with a desire to change his reality. Moreover, Iqbal inspires other children to have a prosperous future, free from slavery labour. His story is told by Fatima, a young girl who witnesses the reality for many children that work from a very young age to satisfy the global market de ...more
Noah Strate
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Taking slaves to do your work is bad and In the masters point of view he is probably like the slaves are getting what they deserve one rupee a month because on pg48 it looks like Iqbal came back from his adventure out side the camp. And I think that is why the master is treating them so badly. Maybe if the slaves were good they would get treated better and have enough money to get out of the camp.
If I were the Master I would quit my job find a real job not involving slaves like being a baker or
taarena
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
THIS IS SUCH AN AMAZING BOOK!!! It’s a very very sad book but it is sooooo so good!!! I had to read this for my class but I am so glad I did!!
Tony
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like Iqbal because he is very clever. He saved many children. In the middle of the story, he found the police to help them. He thought the police will help free the children but Hussain Khan bribed the policemen.

He is also very strong. He stayed in the tomb for three days, and he was still alive! Although Karim and Fatima and others helped him, he is still great!

He worked very hard when he was saving other children. The one best thing I like about him is that he is very brave. He escaped f
Maksim Kim
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like Iqbal because he save many children lives. He was very brave. He was not afraid to die if he die will be save children lives. In beging he was just slave but this slave was very brave he want all the slave free. But he cannot read because he was not study his parents was poor. In there was police bad the owner was very rich there their was very bad. I feel the Pakistan was very bad country. I feel the owner was very very bad. The owner wanted just money. The Iqbal very good boy he risk hi ...more
Sun
Chloe
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Iqbal is a pretty good Book because it is a True story and it is really intresting In The Middle when you start it Will seem really Boring but as you read it,it gets more interesting .
When it was almost finished I started predicting
That iqbul was gonna die because you get the feeling that he was going to die but you don't actually k now what was gonna happen
Israel G
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I give the first half o Iqbal a 4. First, I like Iqbal en rent the Hussain Kan.Next, I like Iqbal because he makes beautiful carpets. However, I do not like the Iqbal in the tomb. For all these reasons, I give
the. First, Half of Iqbal a 4.
Tomas A
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I give the first half of Iqbal a 4 first.
I like the story next.
I like because is interesant.
I do not like the book because the story is small.
all these reasons I give the first half of Iqbal a 4.
Goodreads Librari...: Correct Page Numbering for "Iqbal" 2 13 May 03, 2014 03:13PM
Review 4 16 Feb 05, 2012 08:47PM

• Camp X (Camp X, #1)
  • The Gramma War
  • To Be a Slave
  • Stranieri come noi
  • Keeping Corner
  • The Breadwinner (The Breadwinner, #1)
  • Per questo mi chiamo Giovanni
  • In the Sea There are Crocodiles: Based on the True Story of Enaiatollah Akbari
  • Pandora of Athens, 399 B.C.  (Life and Times)
  • The Heaven Shop
  • Courage for Beginners
  • Out of the Dust
  • Ascolta il mio cuore
  • Mud City (The Breadwinner, #3)
  • L'amico ritrovato
  • Parvana's Journey (The Breadwinner, #2)
  • Through My Eyes
  • Unfriended
Francesco D'Adamo is well-known for his adult books in the tradition of Italian noir fiction. He began writing fiction for young adults to much foreign acclaim in 1999. "Iqbal" is his third novel for young adults and his first to be published in the U.S. D'Adamo lives in Milan, Italy.