Start by marking “The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques” as Want to Read:
The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques

The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  626 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
With the aid of photographs and diagrams, this text concisely presents concepts and techniques of motion picture camerawork and the allied areas of film-making with which they interact with and impact. Included are discussions on: cinematic time and space; compositional rules; and types of editing.
Published August 3rd 2005 by Silman-James Press (first published 1983)

Scott Rosenkrantz
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's rather dense (~244 pages), but it's still one of the best books on cinematography I've read so far. It equips the cinematographer with a better understanding of why certain visual/technical choices work over others. The final chapter on Composition is simply amazing, and the conclusion feels like Mascelli's attempt to impart every single piece of wisdom to his students before we're released into the unexplored yonder.

I tried reading this book before I entered film school, and for whatever
Jason
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is not a single wasted word, example or illustration in this book. It is jam-packed with practical insight, technique, and tastefulness. Even if you don't intend to work in this medium, this book will enrich the way you watch film, etc.
Sai Vignesh Krishnamoorthy
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
You need to know the rule in order to break the rule.

Well, you can learn to do both with this book. This probably is the best I can suggest for any aspiring cinematographer/photographer. For a photographer, this book adds a whole new dimension to his compositions and for a cinematographer, this book is a bible. Buy this book, spend some time over it and enter into a world of totally different perspective when you see your camera again.
Sharad Kaplingad
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everything you need to know of cinematography is there in this book. A Bible for cinematographers.
Michael
Dec 04, 2008 is currently reading it
At first I was thrown off by the overlapping ideas of the 5 c's (it should be 4 c's, I think at this point) but its turning out to be very informative.
Yasser Mohammed
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
A good starting book for Cinematography
Jessica
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-instruction
Surprisingly useful from a painter's point of view. I've never seen such a good description of which factors affect balance in composition. I'm also a fan of how the author classified images by angle (high, low, eye-level) and by zoom (long shots, medium shots, close-ups). It's very useful when I catch myself drawing the same angle at the same distance over and over again.

Four stars as a painter. Possibly worth five to a filmmaker, but I wouldn't know.
Alper Kaya
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sinemanın temel unsurlarına dair hayli açıklayıcı ve örneklemelerle doyurucu bir özellik taşıyan Mascelli yapıtı. Kurguculuk, kamera arkası vesaire unsurlarla ilgili bilgi sahibi olmak isteyenler kaçırmamalı.
Karthik S V
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cinema
A great introductory book. Acquaints one with the basics.
Gaurav Prabhu
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrific,in a word. Simple & exhaustive.
Must read for photographers & cinematographers.
  • Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics
  • Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
  • Directing Actors
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • The Visual Story: Creating the Visual Structure of Film, TV and Digital Media
  • Painting With Light
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • The Filmmaker's Eye: Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition
  • In the Blink of an Eye
  • Cinematography for Directors: A Guide for Creative Collaboration
  • On Film Editing
  • The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age
  • Film Directing Fundamentals: See Your Film Before Shooting
  • Notes on the Cinematographer
  • On Directing Film
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »