Start by marking “We Don't Make Widgets : Overcoming the Three Myths That Keep Government from Radically Improving” as Want to Read:

Written for middle- and senior-level managers in state, city and county government, We Don't Make Widgets: Overcoming the Myths That Keep Government from Radically Improving explodes the myths that prevent dramatic improvement in government operations.

If you're interested in a new way of thinking about what you do, who you do it for and why you do it, this book - part of t
Published January 1st 2008 by Governing Books

To ask other readers questions about We Don't Make Widgets , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Don't Make Widgets

Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who works for the government
This is a must-read for anyone who works for the government! I enjoyed the writing style and definitley - the message! I admit I was doubtful at first but he basically uses the whole book (short- only about 120 pages) to make his case, which did get a tiny bit redundant but in the end was compelling. I was both reassured and disappointed with the last chapter though. He seemed to be (finally) offering a larger perspective on how to change organizations but it was too brief - do I sense a sequel. ...more
Numberbox
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing- it is just the right length, contains practical yet relatively simple observations and is written with well-deserved authority and humour. It should be mandatory reading for all government staff. I will be looking up more of Ken Miller's work.
Bonnie Owen
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
An enlightening little read that provided a different way of thinking about Government from an employee's perspective. The book proves how Government does, indeed, make widgets, and speaks to the many myths that, unfortunately, results in various outcomes not living up to maximum potential.
Melissa
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I got this book for my class. And while it did have some things I could agree with I felt there were some elements lacking.

The books goal: "The purpose of this book is to radically improve government by changing the beliefs of the managers who run it. Beliefs are powerful. Beliefs drive our behaviors. Beliefs can change the world. And it is my contention in this book that it is our beliefs that stand in the way of the progress we all want to make." Pg. viii

It does offer solutions: not just what
Sidi
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
funny way to express a doctrine idea--governing is like business. managers need to know make widgets between factory and customer, which is like put their belief and value in detailed, specific, people-wanted actions, improvement and changes.

you can read it for fun and get some story about government. easy read and wonderful reading experience.
Sandy Irwin
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fairly decent book that helps look at our work in government differently. We are currently going through a process of defining measures and some reorganization, and I got a few ideas that will help.
Jason Walker
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't recommend this book to my friends that are educators after the first read. After the second read I think that everyone should read this book. The message is simple: change your thoughts or else,,,,
Holly
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some practical guides. What is new, is applying this to government offices. Take on the Post Office PLEASE. One of the older government institutions, and one of the worst!. If we can't get it right, how do we plan on fixing the IRS and Health Care. OMG!
Cheryl Beamon
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

As veteran of working with government organizations this book is must read for all us commit ed to providing better services and products
Du
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
Pretty straight forward and simple in its presentation. This was a good book with useful information and it was not a boring management book, which is a nice change of pace.
Jeniann